TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:35:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 191368 times)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1220 on: January 12, 2024, 05:55:43 PM »

Nektar: "Remember The Future, Parts 1 & 2" - mp3 d/l from *m*z*n, having seen a fb announcement of an upcoming multi-disc re-release.  I'd never knowingly heard much of Nektar's music, only reading the odd reference to them being mates of Man.  And it's rather good... If there's a "best of" anyone could recommend?

Flobbadob!
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1221 on: January 12, 2024, 06:38:17 PM »

Nektar: "Remember The Future, Parts 1 & 2" - mp3 d/l from *m*z*n, having seen a fb announcement of an upcoming multi-disc re-release.  I'd never knowingly heard much of Nektar's music, only reading the odd reference to them being mates of Man.  And it's rather good... If there's a "best of" anyone could recommend?

I don't know much Nektar myself, but here's a possible guide to where to go next...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usVcm3soDIQ

Well I never did..
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1222 on: January 12, 2024, 09:08:32 PM »

A rather gorgeous new song from Olivia Chaney...To the Lighthouse

"a very personal song, written about my sister and her family's move to an island...recorded late one night on a vintage Neumann in Reservoir Studios, NYC; just myself, a guitar and the alchemical Thomas Bartlett behind the desk."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jukb0rDXZZ4&list=OLAK5uy_nX-WDobJHtXpQXKXetHL-NO_aKyROM4MY&index=2

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1223 on: January 14, 2024, 10:56:08 AM »

Rare Bird :  Epic Forest.  (El CD, 2007).

The only Rare Bird I have.  It's okay, but I don't know how representative it is.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1224 on: January 14, 2024, 12:22:06 PM »

Random things on shuffle in the car, leading to a lovely segue between Billy Bragg’s ‘St. Swithin’s Day’ and The Byrds’ ‘Kathleen’s Song’, two performances which I hadn’t previously considered as sharing so much DNA.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1225 on: January 15, 2024, 12:20:13 AM »

The only Rare Bird I have.  It's okay, but I don't know how representative it is.

Not at all representative of the original band, there was a big change in direction when Graham Field and Tony Ashton left. Quite liked the first two albums at the time although I could never get on with Steve Gould's vocals, decent voice but a bit too strident for my liking. He was one of those in the frame to replace Peter Gabriel in Genesis, they'd shared quite a few bills in the early 70s and seemed to rate him.

After they left Charisma for Polydor they moved away from their proggy roots and the Hammond workouts and became a bit more rocky/funky/US influenced. The three later albums - Epic Forest, Somebody's Watching and Born Again - sounded like a totally different band really. Saw the later line-up a couple of times at my local college, not very impressed, thought they'd lost all their originality.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #1226 on: January 15, 2024, 08:12:51 AM »

"a very personal song, written about my sister and her family's move to an island...recorded late one night on a vintage Neumann in Reservoir Studios, NYC; just myself, a guitar and the alchemical Thomas Bartlett behind the desk."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jukb0rDXZZ4&list=OLAK5uy_nX-WDobJHtXpQXKXetHL-NO_aKyROM4MY&index=2

Thank you David - that is beautiful. I hope it's the precursor to a larger project. The last I heard of Olivia Chaney was on the 'Woodbine and Ivy band' album..... Sad

Edit: No, wait! Offa Rex, of course  Roll Eyes

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1227 on: January 15, 2024, 08:28:06 AM »

Thank you David - that is beautiful. I hope it's the precursor to a larger project. The last I heard of Olivia Chaney was on the 'Woodbine and Ivy band' album..... Sad

Edit: No, wait! Offa Rex, of course  Roll Eyes

New album upcoming for sure.  OMG.  I've long loved the Woodbine and Ivy Band (saw them at a great gig in Manchester) and have until this point not bloody well realised that she was a part of that!  Well, well, well.  Preposterously their album is available for £3.68 on Amazon at the moment.  Do yourself a favour if you don't know them.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1228 on: January 15, 2024, 08:54:16 AM »

Not at all representative of the original band, there was a big change in direction when Graham Field and Tony Ashton left. Quite liked the first two albums at the time although I could never get on with Steve Gould's vocals, decent voice but a bit too strident for my liking. He was one of those in the frame to replace Peter Gabriel in Genesis, they'd shared quite a few bills in the early 70s and seemed to rate him.

After they left Charisma for Polydor they moved away from their proggy roots and the Hammond workouts and became a bit more rocky/funky/US influenced. The three later albums - Epic Forest, Somebody's Watching and Born Again - sounded like a totally different band really. Saw the later line-up a couple of times at my local college, not very impressed, thought they'd lost all their originality.

Thanks Col. Yes, I've heard some time ago there are distinct eras of Rare Bird with different  styles. I rather like Epic Forest, although it has a rather American/Grateful Dead sound.  I would expect something more like BJH.

I have the 2 Fields albums so again  I was expecting something more like that maybe.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1229 on: January 15, 2024, 09:54:26 AM »

New album upcoming for sure.  OMG.  I've long loved the Woodbine and Ivy Band (saw them at a great gig in Manchester) and have until this point not bloody well realised that she was a part of that!  Well, well, well.  Preposterously their album is available for £3.68 on Amazon at the moment.  Do yourself a favour if you don't know them.

I have to admit I'd never heard of them! Had a quick listen... ordered. Thanks, David!

Flobbadob!
Ian_
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

None the wiser

« Reply #1230 on: January 17, 2024, 04:07:00 PM »

I'm currently enjoying the crystalline but darkish psych-folk of Anona....

https://anonaband.bandcamp.com/track/ruby-mountain

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1231 on: January 18, 2024, 09:57:22 AM »

Port of Call by Tom McConville and Kieran Halpin. A 1980 album I picked up in Sheffield by chance when I was first discovering folk music, and which probably is no longer available anywhere. I digitised my album a few years back, and am so glad I did.  If you heard it I don't know if you would think it was anything special, but it is still very fine in my ears.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #1232 on: January 18, 2024, 04:22:29 PM »

Port of Call by Tom McConville and Kieran Halpin. A 1980 album I picked up in Sheffield by chance when I was first discovering folk music, and which probably is no longer available anywhere. I digitised my album a few years back, and am so glad I did.  If you heard it I don't know if you would think it was anything special, but it is still very fine in my ears.

Wonderful album, a great meeting of musical talents. Halpin drifted away from the folkier style of writing after this to persue a more mainstream sound and I don't think the follow up album reaches the same highs despite McConvilles presence. Having said this, Freeman is a tremendous track, one of Halpin's best.
Ian_
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

None the wiser

« Reply #1233 on: January 19, 2024, 11:59:28 AM »

I've only just discovered Elizabeth Fraser's (Cocteau twins) recent music 'Sun's signature' - it cheered up a cold morning for me  Cool   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRE8MFkWIFw&ab_channel=ElizabethFraser

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1234 on: January 20, 2024, 06:58:59 PM »

Listening to... my son.

He's been getting creative! Grin (when he should be revising for GCSEs  Angry )

https://fracturedrift.bandcamp.com/album/prowess

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1235 on: January 21, 2024, 10:25:02 AM »

Angeline Morrison “The Sorrow Songs : Folk Songs of Black British Experience”

I bought this after hearing the track “Black John” on the freebie cd from the February edition of Mojo.
Haunting and, at times, harrowing.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1236 on: January 21, 2024, 01:16:02 PM »

I bought this after hearing the track “Black John” on the freebie cd from the February edition of Mojo.

Brilliant album.  Highly recommended.

After reading a fascinating Uncut article I've been binging on the work of Kali Malone...  It's droney minimalist modern classical (ish) stuff.  Interestingly, she's the wife of Stephen O'Malley of Sunn O))).  The classic (so far) is the largely (church) organ based The Sacrificial Code.  Not for everyone, I'm sure, but it hits the spot for me...

Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1237 on: January 21, 2024, 04:42:00 PM »

Sorry, that should be Uncut, not Mojo

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1238 on: January 21, 2024, 05:28:11 PM »

Sorry, that should be Uncut, not Mojo

Aye, I definitely didn't spot her on Heavy Nuggets Vol.7 Wink Grin

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1239 on: January 23, 2024, 04:08:06 PM »

Shed Seven A Matter of Time and it's really excellent. Where did that come from?
Dodgy Homegrown next.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: