TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 05:06:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 191090 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1200 on: December 16, 2023, 08:59:33 AM »

Mcdonald and Giles :  Mcdonald and Giles (Panegyric reissue LP, 2023).

I may have said before that I'm not a dyed in the wool  Crimson fan.  But there are some KC and related albums  i rather like. This is one  (and Pete Sinfield's Still is another). I like the friendly hippy couples on the cover here. I like the stretched out orchestral ending to the LP.  I even like the way the bass seems to be trying to be the lead instrument, at times.  I like the quaint psychedelic feel the music has. Yes, with the first 4 KC albums, this and Still, the band need never trouble me again.  Smiley
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1201 on: December 23, 2023, 11:59:01 AM »

Sheryl Crow : Tuesday Night Music Club  (UMR/Polydor LP,  2023).

When you consider you can pick up the CD, released 30 years ago, for small change ( I did ) this import  LP looks expensive, and to digital folk unnecessary.  But I'm delighted with it. The mastering by Bernie Grundman  really opens up the mix, which always sounded rather muddy.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1202 on: January 02, 2024, 08:17:07 AM »

Been a JR fan for 45 years and went to school with his lad but bizarrely I've never heard this until today...and it's utterly brilliant.  Features Danny and Terry and Dorris and Sue Draheim et al so it's hardly a surprise.  Recommended.

* R-2384140-1467375300-6585.jpg (80.6 KB, 488x480 - viewed 390 times.)

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1203 on: January 02, 2024, 08:40:20 AM »

Been a JR fan for 45 years and went to school with his lad but bizarrely I've never heard this until today...and it's utterly brilliant.  Features Danny and Terry and Dorris and Sue Draheim et al so it's hardly a surprise.  Recommended.

Coincidentally this was the very last of John's early catalogue I bought-  it came out on CD some years ago. (Castle Music). I quite like it but it does get neglected in favour of other John albums I like- Another Monday, So Clear,  the JR Group albums.  And of course Pentangle.
sliprigilio (Al)
my it's should be its

Loc: Cornwall

« Reply #1204 on: January 02, 2024, 06:46:58 PM »

Coincidentally I was playing this the other day ( I have a CD re-issue)  but I don't rate it so highly....

Happy New Year!

Cheers,

Slippy
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1205 on: January 04, 2024, 09:25:38 PM »

Little Feat: Dixie Chicken Deluxe Edition
Little Feat: Sailin' Shoes Deluxe Edition

These are two nearly perfect albums from one of my favorite bands. The remastered original LPs are presented in full on Disc One of each set, while Disc Two features studio outtakes, demos, and contemporary live recordings. The live recordings are the real draw for me. Bill Payne's vocals are pretty rough, but Lowell is in fine voice and humor. I wish more professionally recorded early live Feat were available. I've always felt Waiting for Columbus was too slick, and it's my understanding the vocals were replaced in the studio. Lowell is the emcee in these early days, whereas he started to cede the spotlight a bit later in their career. It's so much fun to hear these guys raw, uncensored, and evidently having a great time.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1206 on: January 05, 2024, 08:53:52 AM »

These are two nearly perfect albums from one of my favorite bands. The remastered original LPs are presented in full on Disc One of each set, while Disc Two features studio outtakes, demos, and contemporary live recordings. The live recordings are the real draw for me. Bill Payne's vocals are pretty rough, but Lowell is in fine voice and humor. I wish more professionally recorded early live Feat were available. I've always felt Waiting for Columbus was too slick, and it's my understanding the vocals were replaced in the studio. Lowell is the emcee in these early days, whereas he started to cede the spotlight a bit later in their career. It's so much fun to hear these guys raw, uncensored, and evidently having a great time.

They played Cropredy on the day Richie died and were out of this world (no Lowell of course). Probably my second favourite Cropredy set ever, after FC 92 of course.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1207 on: January 05, 2024, 09:00:13 AM »

They played Cropredy on the day Richie died and were out of this world (no Lowell of course). Probably my second favourite Cropredy set ever, after FC 92 of course.

Bet you loved the band that followed them up on stage too... Wink Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1208 on: January 05, 2024, 11:54:44 AM »

Continuing my John Renbourn binge with The John Renbourn Group's A Maid in Bedlam from '77.  I like it a lot but it feels rather 'minor' in the scheme of things.  Features Jacqui and Sue Draheim, plus Tony Roberts and Keshav Sathe

And also about to start on the new rather fine looking Uncut cover CD.  Unreleased Anne Briggs, you say?  Lordy...I'm going in...

* GDEw7LRXYAAlj7P.jpg (878.4 KB, 1080x1080 - viewed 313 times.)

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1209 on: January 05, 2024, 12:14:22 PM »

Continuing my John Renbourn binge with The John Renbourn Group's A Maid in Bedlam from '77.  I like it a lot but it feels rather 'minor' in the scheme of things.  Features Jacqui and Sue Draheim, plus Tony Roberts and Keshav Sathe

And also about to start on the new rather fine looking Uncut cover CD.  Unreleased Anne Briggs, you say?  Lordy...I'm going in...

I like both JRG albums- I find it hard to choose one as better.

Have you heard Lost Sessions ( Edsel 1996)?  From the same era.  A brief but very nice album.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1210 on: January 05, 2024, 01:04:15 PM »

Coped with a few minutes because my family and friends wouldn't believe me how bad they were.in the end they were even more keen to escape than I was.

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1211 on: January 05, 2024, 03:10:26 PM »

Coped with a few minutes because my family and friends wouldn't believe me how bad they were.in the end they were even more keen to escape than I was.

Was that the mighty Quo?

The Dude abides
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1212 on: January 05, 2024, 03:26:44 PM »

Nick's all-time fave group - Bellowhead!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1213 on: January 05, 2024, 09:04:41 PM »

Was that the mighty Quo?
I think that the others would have known what to expect from Quo. And yes, we enjoyed them.

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1214 on: January 11, 2024, 12:03:49 PM »

The Rosie Hood Band's album "A Seed of Gold". I see it's her first release since 2016's 'The Beautiful & The Actual'. Her band includes two 5 string fiddlers and a melodeon player which is a bit different. Sounds good on first listen.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1215 on: January 11, 2024, 12:25:15 PM »

Lots of Camel here, listening to all the remastered albums from the big box set. Up to 1984's Stationary Traveller so far, so I've almost finished those, then I'll go back to the five with a new mix.  

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1216 on: January 11, 2024, 04:19:07 PM »

The Rosie Hood Band's album "A Seed of Gold". I see it's her first release since 2016's 'The Beautiful & The Actual'. Her band includes two 5 string fiddlers and a melodeon player which is a bit different. Sounds good on first listen.

Looking forward to picking this up. The first album's very good.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1217 on: January 11, 2024, 05:56:08 PM »

Lots of Camel here, listening to all the remastered albums from the big box set. Up to 1984's Stationary Traveller so far, so I've almost finished those, then I'll go back to the five with a new mix.  

I was listening to Stationary Traveller the other day on vinyl.  Very different from the classic years, as I think of them.  Seems more of  a solo album.  Enjoyable all the same.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1218 on: January 11, 2024, 06:22:22 PM »

I was listening to Stationary Traveller the other day on vinyl.  Very different from the classic years, as I think of them.  Seems more of  a solo album.  Enjoyable all the same.

I saw them for the only time just after this album and when Colin Bass had joined the band so it felt then like a band but effectively it was pretty much a solo album (although Burgess and Scherpenzeel might disagree)

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1219 on: January 12, 2024, 10:03:06 AM »

I saw them for the only time just after this album and when Colin Bass had joined the band so it felt then like a band but effectively it was pretty much a solo album (although Burgess and Scherpenzeel might disagree)

For a long time my Camel knowledge was limited to Snow Goose, Nude and Stationary Traveller, all of which I loved, and I really didn't know the 'classic years' at all.  It is only in the last 5 years or so that I have really delved a lot deeper into their catalogue (and with the box set, I couldn't go a lot deeper!). So I didn't see ST as a solo album, although with the benefit now of more insight I can see that it coulod be seen that way.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: