TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 02:56:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 190964 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1160 on: December 01, 2023, 09:15:45 AM »

(Julianne) Regan & (Tim) Bricheno - In the Bleak Midwinter/The Snows they Melt the Soonest

The return of All About Eve's original dynamic duo.  Most welcome (and very lovely)

https://reganbricheno.bandcamp.com/album/winter-2023

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1161 on: December 01, 2023, 11:43:08 AM »

John Lennon.

Some great songs, some not so great.

The 43rd anniversary of his passing is just a week away.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1162 on: December 01, 2023, 12:15:22 PM »

Pentangle:  Reunions  (4CD boxed set, Cherry Tree,  2023).

This was worth getting for the 2 discs of material i don't  already have.  The BBC disc sounds very good. I've got bits of these recordings somewhere in my cassette collection, but it's nice to have them pulled together here.  The live stuff from Italy which comprises disc 2 sounds more like a decent bootleg, but is very enjoyable for all that. I don't know if it's something about Italians, bit they're a very enthusiastic audience here, to the point where I think John has to tell them to shush.
The booklet essay by Mick Houghton is very good too.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1163 on: December 01, 2023, 12:21:49 PM »

(Julianne) Regan & (Tim) Bricheno - In the Bleak Midwinter/The Snows they Melt the Soonest

The return of All About Eve's original dynamic duo.  Most welcome (and very lovely)

Very most welcome. Thanks for the tip.

Well I never did..
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1164 on: December 01, 2023, 01:11:41 PM »

This was worth getting for the 2 discs of material i don't  already have.  The BBC disc sounds very good. I've got bits of these recordings somewhere in my cassette collection, but it's nice to have them pulled together here.  The live stuff from Italy which comprises disc 2 sounds more like a decent bootleg, but is very enjoyable for all that. I don't know if it's something about Italians, bit they're a very enthusiastic audience here, to the point where I think John has to tell them to shush.

It's on my Xmas list.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1165 on: December 01, 2023, 02:45:46 PM »

A very welcome return, shame the result is so dull (on first listen anyway, happy to give it another go and maybe change my mind).
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1166 on: December 01, 2023, 04:10:33 PM »

It's on my Xmas list.

Hope you enjoy
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1167 on: December 01, 2023, 04:41:09 PM »

A very welcome return, shame the result is so dull (on first listen anyway, happy to give it another go and maybe change my mind).

Shocked Sad You think?  I absolutely love it...

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1168 on: December 01, 2023, 08:04:26 PM »

Today, various mixes of Peter Gabriel's i/o, a good but not great album to me after initial listens.

Bits and pieces of the Who's Next box which is an embarrassment of riches once it was sensibly priced.

The new Madness album, once again good but not great.

And some Richard Hawley.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1169 on: December 02, 2023, 09:30:33 AM »

Nic Jones : The Noah's Ark Trap ( Highway Records  LP, year unknown).

The only thing wrong about this album is it hasn't been available for decades,  like  most of NJ's  catalogue.  We get plenty if reissues of Penguin Eggs and nowt  else.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1170 on: December 02, 2023, 10:07:17 AM »

Simplicity by Matt Berry and Sooner After Solstice , the new album by A Winter Union. Bit early for the latter but I wanted to hear it. I will now put it away for a couple of weeks.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1171 on: December 02, 2023, 11:30:49 AM »

The only thing wrong about this album is it hasn't been available for decades,  like  most of NJ's  catalogue.  We get plenty if reissues of Penguin Eggs and nowt  else.

I think we know who to blame about this, don't we?  It's a tragedy...see also The Watersons et al.

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1172 on: December 02, 2023, 11:59:17 AM »

I think we know who to blame about this, don't we?  It's a tragedy...see also The Watersons et al.

Absolutely.  
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1173 on: December 02, 2023, 02:47:12 PM »

Glad Christmas Come by Jon Borden and Eliza Carthy. Wonderful. It is going to be played a lot. The brass band on Bleak Midwinter is absolutely lovely.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1174 on: December 03, 2023, 10:57:52 AM »

Trevor Beales  : Fireside Stories  (Basin Rock LP,  2022).

This a grower, for me.  I love it more each time..  It's sad he went unrecognised and died at only 33.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1175 on: December 04, 2023, 02:45:05 PM »

Winter's Turning by Robin Williamson.

In many ways and compared with many of the others it's quite a 'slight' RW album, but it's a very enjoyable one nonetheless.

Just right for a damp and chilly rush home to the warming fire...

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1176 on: December 04, 2023, 05:18:20 PM »

In many ways and compared with many of the others it's quite a 'slight' RW album, but it's a very enjoyable one nonetheless.

Now there's one I seldom play , and I have it in 2 formats.

Other seldom-play RW albums I own are : Music for the Newly Born, Mabinogion, Songs for Children of all Ages, the 2 Harp albums.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1177 on: December 04, 2023, 05:34:23 PM »

Other seldom-play RW albums I own are : Music for the Newly Born, Mabinogion, Songs for Children of all Ages, the 2 Harp albums.

All decent albums.  Is there a bad Robin album?  I really don't think so.  And there's half a dozen (at least) truly great ones.... Much as I adore his songs and enjoy his (fairly) recent live renditions, Mike's career fizzled out after ISB - Robin's just went up and up and up.  Truly a musical titan.

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1178 on: December 05, 2023, 10:55:03 AM »

All decent albums.  Is there a bad Robin album?  I really don't think so.  And there's half a dozen (at least) truly great ones.... Much as I adore his songs and enjoy his (fairly) recent live renditions, Mike's career fizzled out after ISB - Robin's just went up and up and up.  Truly a musical titan.

Yes Robin was prolific.  It  would take me a month to get through all ISB  and solo stuff, at say 2 albums a day.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1179 on: December 05, 2023, 10:56:45 AM »

Mr Fox  :  Join us in our Game (Castle CCD, 2004).
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: