TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:07:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 191350 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1100 on: October 20, 2023, 04:40:24 PM »

Hackney Diamonds - quite good for 80-year-olds!

Damned with faint praise?

I think it's as good an album as they've put together since the 70s.  I guess the next question is how one contextualises what that actually means.  It's obviously meant to be the last album (Rolling Stone Blues final track etc.).  Rock'n'Roll is definitely on borrowed time!

My first reaction was that it is pretty solid. My second reaction was that it contains nothing to rival Tumbling Dice. My third reaction was that the streamed version that I was listening to was horribly brickwalled and compressed and painful to listen to.

All of which means I don't really know what I think. As enjoyable as it may be, am I ever going to reach for it ahead of Sticky Fingers?
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1101 on: October 20, 2023, 06:17:28 PM »

Not at all, it's their best for years.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1102 on: October 20, 2023, 06:38:37 PM »

Its good. Not as as good as Sticky Fingers or Exile but good all the same.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1103 on: October 20, 2023, 06:44:28 PM »

The idea that it was ever going to be, could ever be, is preposterous.  But, and I've now listened 3 times...it's a lot of fun and really pretty damned good.  I'd say the best, certainly the most consistent - there's no horrors on there - since GHS.  So, that's half a century  Wink Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1104 on: October 20, 2023, 09:05:26 PM »

The idea that it was ever going to be, could ever be, is preposterous.  But, and I've now listened 3 times...it's a lot of fun and really pretty damned good.  I'd say the best, certainly the most consistent - there's no horrors on there - since GHS.  So, that's half a century  Wink Grin

Interesting that you should say that. I am by no means a Stone's completest. I have the key albums up to Exile and a couple of subsequent ones (Some Girls and Steel Wheels). I was wondering today whether I should pick up some combination of Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock n Roll, Black n Blue and/or Tattoo You. Incidentally I don't think the new one is as good as Some Girls, notwithstanding the lyrical problems with the latter.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1105 on: October 20, 2023, 09:08:03 PM »

Interesting that you should say that. I am by no means a Stone's completest. I have the key albums up to Exile and a couple of subsequent ones (Some Girls and Steel Wheels). I was wondering today whether I should pick up some combination of Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock n Roll, Black n Blue and/or Tattoo You. Incidentally I don't think the new one is as good as Some Girls, notwithstanding the lyrical problems with the latter.

What's 5 years in half a century between friends?  Wink Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1106 on: October 20, 2023, 09:36:12 PM »

It's only rock n roll...

Flobbadob!
Peter Allen

« Reply #1107 on: October 20, 2023, 10:52:45 PM »

To trouble the glory years you'd have to reinstate Mr Taylor , and that ship has long since sailed , half a century ago
So let's enjoy the new album as others have suggested alongside "Some Girls" and not some of the ho-hum stuff since
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1108 on: October 21, 2023, 09:26:41 AM »

I think it's as good an album as they've put together since the 70s.  I guess the next question is how one contextualises what that actually means.  It's obviously meant to be the last album (Rolling Stone Blues final track etc.).  Rock'n'Roll is definitely on borrowed time!

My first reaction was that it is pretty solid. My second reaction was that it contains nothing to rival Tumbling Dice. My third reaction was that the streamed version that I was listening to was horribly brickwalled and compressed and painful to listen to.

All of which means I don't really know what I think. As enjoyable as it may be, am I ever going to reach for it ahead of Sticky Fingers?

The last Stones album I heard was Goat's Head Soup, so my opinion of the new one wouldn't be very reliable.
I don't like brickwalling either-  it's almost guaranteed to ruin a good album.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1109 on: October 21, 2023, 10:43:09 AM »

Given that I use hearing aids anyhow, my opinion may be less valuable than some, but the actual CD doesn't seem to have the brickwalling problem the online videos do.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1110 on: October 21, 2023, 11:21:01 AM »

Given that I use hearing aids anyhow, my opinion may be less valuable than some, but the actual CD doesn't seem to have the brickwalling problem the online videos do.

That is what I am hoping. I have constant tinnitus so these things don't usually bother me because I am not hearing pure sound anyway but I was listening ina high definition/resolution streaming service and it was really bad and fatiguing to listen to.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1111 on: October 21, 2023, 05:51:07 PM »

I found it a bit confusing reading the following posts as I was unaware that this is the title of the new Stones album and not a band.
I'm all up to speed now.
My mom is, apparently, rather fond of the new record..she's more hip to what's happening than me, bless her.

Well I never did..
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1112 on: October 22, 2023, 01:51:32 PM »

The Mary Wallopers. Struggling to see what all the fuss is about, although I imagine that they could be interesting live, especially after a few snifters.

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1113 on: October 23, 2023, 08:59:30 AM »

Fairport Convention  :  What we Did on Our Holidays  ( Island reissue  LP, 2023).

I think I'm learning a lesson about Island/UMC  reissues.  The mastering is mediocre  and the pressing could be better,  on this one.  This is just about my favourite  Fairport album,  and I was hoping for a clean, playable vinyl copy.
Reissuing and remastering of vintage albums like this is only really worthwhile if some care has gone into the exercise,  and this doesn't  evidence that care. It's just listenable,  because I'm so familiar with the album, having listened to it in some form since about 1975.  There are no revelations here.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1114 on: October 23, 2023, 09:37:02 AM »

Fairport Convention  :  What we Did on Our Holidays  ( Island reissue  LP, 2023).

I think I'm learning a lesson about Island/UMC  reissues.  The mastering is mediocre  and the pressing could be better,  on this one.  This is just about my favourite  Fairport album,  and I was hoping for a clean, playable vinyl copy.
Reissuing and remastering of vintage albums like this is only really worthwhile if some care has gone into the exercise,  and this doesn't  evidence that care. It's just listenable,  because I'm so familiar with the album, having listened to it in some form since about 1975.  There are no revelations here.

I'd argue that the true revelation is the vinyl bubble has well and truly burst in people's faces and large sums of money are now being spent on well below sub-standard pressings.  Did you see the pictures of that big Prince box set released the other week?  Hundred of pounds, and the heavy vinyl supplied in cheap as chips liners that had virtually all split.  

I've almost entirely stopped buying (certainly new) vinyl now and I know others who are in a similar situation.  It's almost literally throwing money away.  I've spent the last 2 or 3 years falling in love with CDs again.  So much value to be had (both in the second hand market and in big 'archival' releases) at the moment... and they, obviously, for all the affection for vinyl which even I hold to some extent, sound so much better as well...

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1115 on: October 23, 2023, 10:26:59 AM »

I'd argue that the true revelation is the vinyl bubble has well and truly burst in people's faces and large sums of money are now being spent on well below sub-standard pressings.  Did you see the pictures of that big Prince box set released the other week?  Hundred of pounds, and the heavy vinyl supplied in cheap as chips liners that had virtually all split.  

I've almost entirely stopped buying (certainly new) vinyl now and I know others who are in a similar situation.  It's almost literally throwing money away.  I've spent the last 2 or 3 years falling in love with CDs again.  So much value to be had (both in the second hand market and in big 'archival' releases) at the moment... and they, obviously, for all the affection for vinyl which even I hold to some extent, sound so much better as well...

I know what you're saying, but I'm still loyal to the vinyl format. Sure, I still complain when I get something of poor quality,  and will control add my voice to those of other audiophiles who do so.  But I have to say I've had some amazing reissues and remasters from companies who have taken the trouble to find the best source preferably original masters, and treated them with care. The Trees boxed set is a case in point-  that really is revelatory, and I've had several versions of those albums, on vinyl and CD.  Earth Records have also done great things with the Bert Jansch back catalogue.   So there is good stuff to be had in the way of reissues on LP.  But of course I maintain  very good vinyl front end on my system- which I only talk about on the Hoffman Forum  Smiley
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #1116 on: October 23, 2023, 11:00:07 AM »

Picking up CD's at the local charity shops is beginning to cause a little friction at home as I apparently already have enough.  

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1117 on: October 23, 2023, 01:08:20 PM »

Picking up CD's at the local charity shops is beginning to cause a little friction at home as I apparently already have enough.  

They are 5 for a quid in a lot of places locally. I even saw the latest Paul Simon!!

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1118 on: October 23, 2023, 01:43:35 PM »

They are 5 for a quid in a lot of places locally. I even saw the latest Paul Simon!!

The key thing is to locate a music monthly reviewer and then find out what charities they support.  It's a breeze once you've got that all ironed out...

Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1119 on: October 23, 2023, 02:32:54 PM »

Deffo overpriced for PS's last album. IMHO, of course.

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: