TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 08:54:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 191341 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1000 on: August 25, 2023, 09:02:29 AM »

Pentangle  :  Sweet Child   (Real Gone 2LP reissue, 2018, blue vinyl).

Love all of the Transatlantic Pentangle.   Never tire of them.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1001 on: August 25, 2023, 09:20:10 AM »

I sometimes make a stab at defending Solomon's Seal, but ultimately, it's normally a pretty half hearted one.  The first couple of post-classic line-up albums are worthy of a listen but it's clearly massively diminishing returns from SS onwards...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1002 on: August 25, 2023, 04:04:04 PM »

I sometimes make a stab at defending Solomon's Seal, but ultimately, it's normally a pretty half hearted one.  The first couple of post-classic line-up albums are worthy of a listen but it's clearly massively diminishing returns from SS onwards...

I like Solomon's Seal and for me it's like the Transatlantic album that wasn't.  I listen to all of the albums after that too, but I often have to remind myself it's  a different  group, if that makes sense.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1003 on: August 25, 2023, 04:24:41 PM »

I like Solomon's Seal and for me it's like the Transatlantic album that wasn't.  I listen to all of the albums after that too, but I often have to remind myself it's  a different  group, if that makes sense.

Well, Open the Door is only 20% different (Mike Piggott in for John), but yes, absolutely...  Incidentally a friend saw JM's Pentangle in Kent a few days back and, well, let's just say, "was not impressed".  He described it as 80% lounge lizard jazz.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1004 on: August 25, 2023, 04:55:15 PM »

They were like that when I saw them in the last Butlins festival in January. I actually enjoyed the set, though.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1005 on: August 25, 2023, 05:49:17 PM »

Well, Open the Door is only 20% different (Mike Piggott in for John), but yes, absolutely...  Incidentally a friend saw JM's Pentangle in Kent a few days back and, well, let's just say, "was not impressed".  He described it as 80% lounge lizard jazz.

I've seen JMs Pentangle, though admittedly it was a few years sgo. I liked it, but each to.his own.  My feeling was Jacqui  missed a career as a jazz singer.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1006 on: August 25, 2023, 05:52:37 PM »

I've seen JMs Pentangle, though admittedly it was a few years sgo. I liked it, but each to.his own.  My feeling was Jacqui  missed a career as a jazz singer.
#

She can and should do exactly what she wants to.  The problem (from my point of view) is the name.  That type of Jazz has little to do with the original band (who were very Jazzy but in an, I think, very different way).

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1007 on: August 28, 2023, 03:41:21 PM »

Jackie McShee's  Take Three   (CD,  2013).

Well at least she isn't calling them Pentangle.  Grin ;

It's a trio comprising herself, Alan Thomson on guitar and Gerry Conway on percussion. All but a couple of the tracks are traditional folk and some will be familiar from Pentangle days. I rather like it. It came out without much fuss, and I'd forgotten i bought it almost, till last night when I got remembered during the night and got up to ransack my flat for it.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1008 on: August 30, 2023, 11:20:54 AM »

The Beatles (Stowe School Complete Concert 4-4-63).  This will almost certainly be removed at some point, but an enjoyable listen whilst it's there... https://www.youtube.com/watch?si=RLgs6O1jqGFNYIh5&fbclid=IwAR3-PHYPEtPxUK4wmp5y9lBUZJZFdSZNV-GpIKg0yXi5rNJA8PVLFIZXadc&v=ZYaMkVmlg3A&feature=youtu.be

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1009 on: August 30, 2023, 02:31:23 PM »

The Beatles (Stowe School Complete Concert 4-4-63).  This will almost certainly be removed at some point, but an enjoyable listen whilst it's there... https://www.youtube.com/watch?si=RLgs6O1jqGFNYIh5&fbclid=IwAR3-PHYPEtPxUK4wmp5y9lBUZJZFdSZNV-GpIKg0yXi5rNJA8PVLFIZXadc&v=ZYaMkVmlg3A&feature=youtu.be

The Front Row (radio 4) piece about this was interesting.  What they played of the tape sounded of good quality.  
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1010 on: August 30, 2023, 03:07:23 PM »

The Front Row (radio 4) piece about this was interesting.  What they played of the tape sounded of good quality.  

I didn't realise there'd been a Front Row piece...will check it out.

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1011 on: August 30, 2023, 04:58:29 PM »

Sinead - Sean non Nusa
Drive By Truckers - An American Band
Ian Prowse - Does This Train Stop On Merseyside

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1012 on: September 01, 2023, 08:55:43 AM »

Jacqui McShee's  Pentangle  :  Feoffee's  Lands  (CD,  2005).

This covers a so many of styles on one album you have to respect it. Some tracks work really well and others leave me uncertain.  The version of 'Bruton Town' for example is as far away  from the first Pentangle recording as it can get.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #1013 on: September 01, 2023, 05:12:35 PM »

The Coral - Coral island

Thoroughly enjoyable music, but I'll admit to being ambivalent about the spoken-word sections..... Undecided

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1014 on: September 01, 2023, 05:26:37 PM »

The new Daphne's Flight album Love Is The Weapon Of Choice

Also Nik Kershaw, Songs From The Shelf Part 2 and Gilmore and Roberts' Documenting Snapshots and all of the other stuff I haven't been in the mood to listen to for the last couple of weeks.

Coincidentally two of the above albums contain songs about indigenous Australian land rights and culture.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1015 on: September 02, 2023, 11:34:26 AM »

Sailin' Shoes - Little Feat and a twofer of the two Flying Burrito Brothers albums.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1016 on: September 08, 2023, 06:59:50 PM »

Romy "Mid Air".  One banger after another...absolutely superb.  But then it would be, I guess. Impossible to sit still to...

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1017 on: September 09, 2023, 11:06:08 AM »

Kathryn Tickell & Ensemble Mystical after her gig in Settle on Thursday. I've downloaded her new release with the Darkening and also a solo album by her accordion player Amy Thatcher who I see plays in about 5 different groups.

I also have a new release from Ninebarrow to listen to and for something a bit different, a live album by The Tiger Lillies.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1018 on: September 09, 2023, 11:50:41 AM »

The Anchoress - The Art Of Losing, from 2021, bought in a charity shop. Very nice, gently proggy pop-rock.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1019 on: September 09, 2023, 01:42:42 PM »

Kristin Hersh  :  Clear Pond  Road  (Limited edition  Blue vinyl LP,  Fire Records,  2023).

I love Kristin's  albums even when challenged  me. This one is a grower.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: