TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 01:58:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 190913 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #980 on: August 11, 2023, 04:05:29 PM »

Suzi Quatro & KT Tunstall - Face To Face

A collaboration of which I was previously unaware 'til 7.30 this morning (Radio 2's "Record Of The Week", apparently. Shows how often I listen 😆).
Two generations of feisty 'n fierce female musicians who turn out to be big fans of each other create an album of marvellous original material. Nothing ground-breaking, but very listenable and well-crafted. It's a natural sounding partnership, and they audibly had an excellent time making the record. Suzi & KT's voices blend really well, they certainly have a musical kinship.

I live in hope that they tour together - maybe a KT set, then a Suzi Q set followed by the two of them joining forces for a live rendition of this splendid album ?

Im awaiting a copy of this.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #981 on: August 12, 2023, 08:42:38 AM »

Karen Dalton  :  In  My Own Time (50th Anniversary Edition  LP,  Light in the Attic,  2021).

I've waited a while for this-  i think it was a repress issue.  What can you say about a record like this?    I know people have varied tastes,  but anyone with more that a passing interest in folk, blues or even jazz should hear this and if they're still into physical product, own it.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #982 on: August 13, 2023, 03:11:13 PM »

Family History - a 2CD comp of Family's best (?). The only one I could find with all the songs I knew on it. Excellent stuff.

Bowie : Scary Monsters. I used to have all the singles from this album, so I never bought it. Now the singles are gone, I grabbed a copy of the CD. Immediate transportation back to being one of three headbangers amongst all the New Romantics in the sixth form centre who were constantly playing this record and then moaning when I managed to get to the record player with the latest Hawkwind album.

Traffic : Mr Fantasy. I have the 5 Classic Albums collection, but I've bought the first two albums for the bonus tracks. In this case, the US mono mix. Although...I can't see the point of psychedelic phasing effects without the stereo swooooooosh between speakers. Also, it was fun to reminded that the 'Dum-diddy-dum-de-dum-dum' motif from the title track, was exactly the same as a bass fill I used to play on one of the songs from my old band's set back in 1987. Traffic ripped me off 20 years before I came up with it. Swine.

Well I never did..
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #983 on: August 14, 2023, 08:51:00 AM »

Family History - a 2CD comp of Family's best (?). The only one I could find with all the songs I knew on it. Excellent stuff.

Bowie : Scary Monsters. I used to have all the singles from this album, so I never bought it. Now the singles are gone, I grabbed a copy of the CD. Immediate transportation back to being one of three headbangers amongst all the New Romantics in the sixth form centre who were constantly playing this record and then moaning when I managed to get to the record player with the latest Hawkwind album.

Traffic : Mr Fantasy. I have the 5 Classic Albums collection, but I've bought the first two albums for the bonus tracks. In this case, the US mono mix. Although...I can't see the point of psychedelic phasing effects without the stereo swooooooosh between speakers. Also, it was fun to reminded that the 'Dum-diddy-dum-de-dum-dum' motif from the title track, was exactly the same as a bass fill I used to play on one of the songs from my old band's set back in 1987. Traffic ripped me off 20 years before I came up with it. Swine.

Family have been blessed, and sometimes cursed, with numerous reissues.   It must  be awful for a newcomer to find the best version of each album (assuming of course that the person cares at all about how a disc sounds).  There are some obvious needle drops out there, and the Streetwalkers debut has an alternative  running order, brickwalled sound and terrible new artwork.

Cherry Red have scheduled a 3CD reissue of the wonderful Fearless for next month.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #984 on: August 17, 2023, 02:46:10 PM »

Sky 2 by Sky

Last time I posted this about 15 years ago it caused an outbreak of apoplexy on TAW. Happy to oblige.  Grin

Before that it was an 80s playlist. Have at it!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #985 on: August 17, 2023, 03:33:05 PM »

Sky 2 by Sky

Last time I posted this about 15 years ago it caused an outbreak of apoplexy on TAW. Happy to oblige.  Grin

Go for it.  I like Sky, and think 2 is probably their best album.  And as for the 80s playlist, it depends what was on it!  Plenty of decent music from the 80s.

Here, I'm listening to Jars of Clay's The Long Fall Back To Earth.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #986 on: August 17, 2023, 04:25:06 PM »

Sky 2 by Sky

Go for it.  I like Sky, and think 2 is probably their best album.  And as for the 80s playlist, it depends what was on it!  Plenty of decent music from the 80s.

Yes I am being a little disingenuous. Much of my 80s playlist didn't trouble the singles charts.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #987 on: August 17, 2023, 04:54:29 PM »

Sky 2 by Sky

Yes I am being a little disingenuous. Much of my 80s playlist didn't trouble the singles charts.
How many since then have?  Grin

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #988 on: August 17, 2023, 04:59:08 PM »

Sky 2 by Sky

How many since then have?  Grin

Even fewer, though I do have at least 10 chart songs from every decade as I always download something from the top 10 on my birthday. Some years it is hard to find anything I can tolerate. This year it was Flowers by Miley Cyrus which is actually rather good. I even contemplated getting the album but have not, as yet, committed.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #989 on: August 18, 2023, 09:26:47 AM »

Mick Softley-  the CBS  albums on CD.

Incredibly underrated singer and songwriter, sadly no longer with us.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #990 on: August 18, 2023, 09:46:43 AM »

Matthews Southern Comfort The Essential Collection

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
iandiddams

« Reply #991 on: August 18, 2023, 10:14:52 AM »

Mark Harrison - "Road to Liberty", double album.
Heard him and his band at "Tangled Roots" a few weeks ago - americana/roots style.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #992 on: August 20, 2023, 10:31:58 AM »

Pete Atkin :   The Luck of the Draw - songbook volume II (Hillside CD, 2023).

Pete's new album, which fans will know about  already.  A collection of reworking of old songs with a handful of new.  As ever, wonderful.

Official release date September 1st, but you can get one now from the website.

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #993 on: August 20, 2023, 10:33:54 AM »

Trevor Beales  :  Fireside Stories, 1971- '74.

This might have been discussed here already, I'm not sure.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #994 on: August 20, 2023, 10:49:14 AM »

I think it might have been...Henry Parker did the launch gig covering some of the songs.  I think it's probably stretching the material a little far as an album, but it's very nice nonetheless.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #995 on: August 21, 2023, 09:15:03 AM »

I think it might have been...Henry Parker did the launch gig covering some of the songs.  I think it's probably stretching the material a little far as an album, but it's very nice nonetheless.

My feeling is if Mr Beales had got into a studio with a producer these tracks would have made a great album.

Last night:  Mark Fry :  Dreaming of Alice (Now Again Records LP, 2020).

This is interesting but really just for hard core psych folk enthusiasts.  It's a proper edition, carefully remastered from original tapes.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #996 on: August 22, 2023, 01:22:49 PM »

Tiny Notes by The Young Uns. Songwriting of the highest calibre and the performance isnt too bad either. Sean Cooney is something special.

Sue & Chris

« Reply #997 on: August 22, 2023, 05:09:45 PM »

Teddy Thompson - My Love of Country.

If you've ever wondered what Richard and Linda's 'I'll Regret it All in the Morning' would sound like as a country number, wonder no more!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #998 on: August 23, 2023, 11:21:14 AM »

The remastered Friendliness album.

I am happy.

* folder.jpg (91 KB, 500x500 - viewed 195 times.)

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #999 on: August 23, 2023, 11:26:47 AM »

The remastered Friendliness album.

I am happy.
And So you should be.

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 69   Go Up