TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 03:26:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 190994 times)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #460 on: October 07, 2022, 06:34:49 PM »

Not sure what I was buying back in 82 but along with Gone Troppo and S&G in Central Park these were the only new releases and I think Hot Space was the only one I bought that year.

Queen - Hot Space
Iron Maiden  - The Number of the Beast
Talking Heads - The Name of this Band is Talking Heads
The Damned - Strawberries

Back on topic I'm listening to Natalie Merchant Live in Concert NYC 1999

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #461 on: October 07, 2022, 11:59:18 PM »

The only thing I remember buying in 1982 was Robert Wyatts,  Nothing Can Stop Us album despite having all the singles
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #462 on: October 08, 2022, 12:14:31 AM »

In fact the first bit of music my eldest daughter ever heard was the single Caimanera from Wyatts LP, the day she  came home from the maternity ward May 1980 . Sadly it didn't instill any musical sense in her .
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #463 on: October 08, 2022, 09:32:51 AM »

Following my trip to see him live, Ralph McTell s Hill of Beans. (Leola CD, 2019).

I know now why I haven't played it much. There are enough good songs on there,  but I don't care for the way it's been recorded. Sounds like there's some compression gone on there, or something else.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #464 on: October 08, 2022, 11:35:14 AM »

Uriah Heep.

They were fab.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #465 on: October 08, 2022, 12:56:10 PM »

Uriah Heep.

They were fab.

Decent.  A friend of mine was telling me they'd bought a new cheap as chips 6CD box set - Choices....it sounds a bit of a rubbish idea - 6 members choose their faves, but it's still a lot of Heep for not much dough.  I saw them once in the mid-80s with some temporary lead singer...and they weren't very good but then I saw them in the early Shaw years and they were vastly improved.  The brief period with John Wetton has to be a high point for me though...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #466 on: October 08, 2022, 02:42:29 PM »

The Whitmore Sisters Ghost Stories

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #467 on: October 08, 2022, 03:44:24 PM »

Uriah Heep.

They were fab.

Decent.  A friend of mine was telling me they'd bought a new cheap as chips 6CD box set - Choices....it sounds a bit of a rubbish idea - 6 members choose their faves, but it's still a lot of Heep for not much dough.  I saw them once in the mid-80s with some temporary lead singer...and they weren't very good but then I saw them in the early Shaw years and they were vastly improved.  The brief period with John Wetton has to be a high point for me though...

I saw Uriah Heep at the New Theatre Oxford (very early 80s), at a time when pretty much every band booked there was part of the so called "New Wave of British Heavy Metal"...They were excellent if I recall, & the bass player was the late great Trevor Bolder of The Spiders from Mars... Cool
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #468 on: October 08, 2022, 06:08:30 PM »

Uriah Heep.

They were fab.

I saw Uriah Heep at the New Theatre Oxford (very early 80s), at a time when pretty much every band booked there was part of the so called "New Wave of British Heavy Metal"...They were excellent if I recall, & the bass player was the late great Trevor Bolder of The Spiders from Mars... Cool

I think I saw the same tour. If it was the one with Spider and Samson I thought the bands got progressively worse as the evening went on. It wasn’t their finest era. OOAA.  Wink

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #469 on: October 08, 2022, 06:19:14 PM »

Uriah Heep.

They were fab.
Going to see them on Tuesday at St David’s Hall, Cardiff. Last saw them in Bristol in 2015 and before that 1976 with the (IMHO) classic lineup.

Michael “Mick” Box is the only original member so Michael “Mike” Box is hoping for a mention…   Roll Eyes

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #470 on: October 08, 2022, 07:07:37 PM »

Grin

Flobbadob!
Simon Withers

« Reply #471 on: October 08, 2022, 09:32:23 PM »

I have recently been handed a copy of Door One, David Longdon's posthumous solo album. It is released on 14th October. It is a beautiful album.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #472 on: October 08, 2022, 09:48:51 PM »

Uriah Heep.

They were fab.

I'm just getting into them really.

I've enjoyed the Pete Goalby AOR era, since Equator was originally released but recently I've picked up a few Bernie Shaw albums, and just last weekend, snagged my first "classic" line-up album - Wonderworld - which, on early acquaintance, is a very good listen.

Looking forward to checking out more of their catalogue.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #473 on: October 09, 2022, 01:05:03 PM »

I saw Heep way back in 1972 at Liverpool Stadium and again in 1973 - the 'classic' line up and they were great.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #474 on: October 09, 2022, 01:28:35 PM »

Uriah Heep.

They were fab.

I'm very pleased to have a signed copy of Abominog with Trevor's signature (although Bob Daisley played on the record.)

* heep.jpg (212.69 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 377 times.)

Well I never did..
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #475 on: October 10, 2022, 02:30:07 PM »

Lots of Roxy in advance of seeing them on wednesday, and lots of Crim in advance of the new box

The Dude abides
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #476 on: October 10, 2022, 03:49:40 PM »

I think my brother had a copy of Abominog. I seem to remember enjoying it back then, but can't remember much about it now.

As for what I was buying in 1982, I can't remember exactly, but albums from that year I still listen to now include:

Asia - s/t
ATF - Batteries Not Included
Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky
BJH - Berlin
Chris de Burgh - The Getaway
Clannad - Fuaim
Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
JJ Cale - Grasshopper
Jerusalem - Warrior
Jethro Tull - Broadsword & the Beast
Magnum - Chase The Dragon
Mike Oldfield - Five Miles Out
R< - Shoot Out The Lights
Roxy Music - Avalon
Rush - Signals
Saga - In Transit
Saxon - The Eagle Has Landed
Twelfth Night - Fact & Fiction

And I bought a copy of that BJH biography recently, but it is still on my shelf of 'books to read'.  Soon...

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #477 on: October 10, 2022, 05:07:04 PM »

Robyn Hitchcock - Shufflemania, which seems to only be available online at present. His best for a while I reckon and good to see Kimberely Rew and Morris Windsor both putting in appearances.

The Bevis Frond - The Clocks. A very welcome limited edition reissue of Nick's 2007 self-released album, having missed out on it first time around.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #478 on: October 10, 2022, 06:44:29 PM »

Robyn Hitchcock - Shufflemania, which seems to only be available online at present. His best for a while I reckon and good to see Kimberely Rew and Morris Windsor both putting in appearances.

The Bevis Frond - The Clocks. A very welcome limited edition reissue of Nick's 2007 self-released album, having missed out on it first time around.

Although a somewhat different tracklisting I believe?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #479 on: October 10, 2022, 10:45:07 PM »

Although a somewhat different tracklisting I believe?

I think about four tracks are different and the order has been changed, no idea why though.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: