TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 08:00:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 191285 times)
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #440 on: October 03, 2022, 06:09:52 PM »

Man - Life on the Road - On Air 1972-1983. Only just started working my way through the 4 CDs and 2 DVDs in this new box set. Quite a lot of this has been out before but on long out-of-print releases, so it's good to have what amounts to virtually all their remaining UK radio and TV sessions in one place. The 1974 Horizon video is, for me, the jewel here, I remember bunking off school just to see this at the time back in those pre-video days, amazing that this BBC Schools programme managed to escape the Beeb's mass wiping policy in the 70s.

Sticking with a vaguely Man theme, I picked up a twofer CD of The Neutrons' albums, recently, along with Alkatraz' only release. Very enjoyable, indeed.

Don't know anything about this/them...what's the connection with Man?

Phil Ryan & Will Youatt.

They were both in The Neutrons, who, on their first album, also featured Gentle Giant's John Weathers on drums and violinist Stuart Gordon, who's played with everybody from Peter Gabriel to Massive Attack. After The Neutrons' demise, Will formed Alkatraz with his former Quicksand bandmate, Jimmy Davies.

Both bands are worth a listen, I think.

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #441 on: October 04, 2022, 11:46:38 AM »

Neutrons are/were great (esp the 1st LP).

Must search out Alkatraz... Cheers!

Flobbadob!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #442 on: October 04, 2022, 12:59:55 PM »

Man - Life on the Road - On Air 1972-1983. Only just started working my way through the 4 CDs and 2 DVDs in this new box set. Quite a lot of this has been out before but on long out-of-print releases, so it's good to have what amounts to virtually all their remaining UK radio and TV sessions in one place. The 1974 Horizon video is, for me, the jewel here, I remember bunking off school just to see this at the time back in those pre-video days, amazing that this BBC Schools programme managed to escape the Beeb's mass wiping policy in the 70s.

Sticking with a vaguely Man theme, I picked up a twofer CD of The Neutrons' albums, recently, along with Alkatraz' only release. Very enjoyable, indeed.

Don't know anything about this/them...what's the connection with Man?

Phil Ryan & Will Youatt.

They were both in The Neutrons, who, on their first album, also featured Gentle Giant's John Weathers on drums and violinist Stuart Gordon, who's played with everybody from Peter Gabriel to Massive Attack. After The Neutrons' demise, Will formed Alkatraz with his former Quicksand bandmate, Jimmy Davies.

Both bands are worth a listen, I think.

Saw Alcatraz once , it may well have been supporting Man.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #443 on: October 04, 2022, 01:01:45 PM »

I keep meaning to get this.  Must rectify.  One of my all time favourite bands at Cropredy - that 1994 slot was brilliant.  No idea if its true but I remember them mostly wearing grey suits and looking utterly dull but playing the most amazing set of psychedelic influenced Welsh rock.  I saw them 2 or 3 times afterwards as well...once at the Patti (with the Racehorses supporting) in the late 90s.  Great, great band.
It was great wasnt it . i think the instrumental intro to the first number lasted 25 minutes. Something I'd normally shy away from but not this time.

Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #444 on: October 04, 2022, 02:46:45 PM »

I keep meaning to get this.  Must rectify.  One of my all time favourite bands at Cropredy - that 1994 slot was brilliant.  No idea if its true but I remember them mostly wearing grey suits and looking utterly dull but playing the most amazing set of psychedelic influenced Welsh rock.  I saw them 2 or 3 times afterwards as well...once at the Patti (with the Racehorses supporting) in the late 90s.  Great, great band.

I think I've mentioned this before but I did video the Cropredy set. A very brief flirtation with videoing gigs of which this was the third and last. I still have the tapes, found them stored in a crate when we were moving house last year. Hopefully this will inspire me to finally get it transferred onto the PC and author a DVD from it. You're welcome to a copy of course, but don't hold your breath!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #445 on: October 04, 2022, 02:48:22 PM »

I think I've mentioned this before but I did video the Cropredy set. A very brief flirtation with videoing gigs of which this was the third and last. I still have the tapes, found them stored in a crate when we were moving house last year. Hopefully this will inspire me to finally get it transferred onto the PC and author a DVD from it. You're welcome to a copy of course, but don't hold your breath!

Oh, good good man.  I'm putting a note in my 2023 diary to remind you...  Wink Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #446 on: October 07, 2022, 07:59:33 AM »

Spirit of Clive : A Tribute To The Music Of Clive Palmer & Cob

£12 is a tad on the pricey side for a non physical release in my book, but this is sounding rather wonderful nonetheless.  Alex's Chain of Love alone is worth the price of admission...

https://spiritofclive.bandcamp.com/album/spirit-of-clive-a-tribute-to-the-music-of-clive-palmer-cob

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #447 on: October 07, 2022, 10:42:57 AM »

Some albums from 1982. Classics and otherwise, these still get played.

* collage.jpg (276.61 KB, 1091x768 - viewed 399 times.)

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
wayne stote

« Reply #448 on: October 07, 2022, 11:30:22 AM »

Currently reading Keith & Monika Domone's biography of Barclay James Harvest which has inspired me go through their discography chronologically. What a brilliant band! Hardly any misfires through twenty plus albums even after the blow of losing Woolly Wolstenholme and Les & John's Great Schism.

Speaking of Woolly, I've got the Maestoso boxed set ready to go next!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #449 on: October 07, 2022, 11:43:47 AM »

Some albums from 1982. Classics and otherwise, these still get played.

I'm mirroring mine and Andy's exchange on Twitter here, by posting my picks from the same year (in release order).

Jules

* 1982.jpg (457.16 KB, 1225x525 - viewed 386 times.)

Now be thankful for good things below
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #450 on: October 07, 2022, 01:01:50 PM »

1982 wouldn't be complete without The Motels.

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #451 on: October 07, 2022, 01:16:28 PM »

Currently reading Keith & Monika Domone's biography of Barclay James Harvest which has inspired me go through their discography chronologically. What a brilliant band! Hardly any misfires through twenty plus albums even after the blow of losing Woolly Wolstenholme and Les & John's Great Schism.

Speaking of Woolly, I've got the Maestoso boxed set ready to go next!
Berlin came out in 1982 didn't it?

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #452 on: October 07, 2022, 02:26:05 PM »

I'm not sure I need to do my 1982 albums. It would be a sort of mash up of Andy's & Jules's. I'll check if there are any surprises though.

In the meantime I am listening to a 1985 album, the self-titled debut by The Dream Academy.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #453 on: October 07, 2022, 03:06:26 PM »

A few extras from 1982, including possibly my favourite album of the year (except for The Nightfly which Andy has already listed and I have accidentally duplicated here).

Not sure why two of them are duplicated. Quirk of the collage software.

* rsz_11982.jpg (703.21 KB, 2560x1463 - viewed 351 times.)
wayne stote

« Reply #454 on: October 07, 2022, 04:30:05 PM »

1982 was the year I first started taking a serious interest in music having been bought record player and a few HMV vouchers for Christmas, 1981. These are probably my top 20 from the year:

Lindisfarne - Sleepless Nights
Arizona Smoke Review - New Album
Chris de Burgh - The Getaway
REO Speedwagon - Good Trouble
Toto - IV
Asia - S/T
Chris Hillman - Morning Sky
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Long After Dark
Kansas - Vinyl Confessions
The Albion Band - Light Shining
Goanna - Spirit Of Place
The Sweet - Identity Crisis
Night Ranger - Dawn Patrol
Nanci Griffith - Poet In My Window
38 Special - Special Forces
Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
Jethro Tull - The Broadsword & The Beast
Magnum - Chase The Dragon
Gordon Lightfoot - Shadows
Crosby, Stills & Nash - Daylight Again
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #455 on: October 07, 2022, 05:40:15 PM »

So you're the bloke that bought it, then....  Wink Grin

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #456 on: October 07, 2022, 05:46:13 PM »

Yeah, yeah, bllame the software. Wink

Personally I find it very hard to stay in the same room as 80s Elton.

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #457 on: October 07, 2022, 05:47:41 PM »

Grin Grin

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #458 on: October 07, 2022, 06:05:22 PM »

Yeah, yeah, bllame the software. Wink

Personally I find it very hard to stay in the same room as 80s Elton.

Jules

I largely agree after '83 but I really like the Too Low For Zero album and Jump Up contains two of my favourite Elton songs, Empty Garden (his moving Lennon tribute) and All Quiet On The Western Front.
wayne stote

« Reply #459 on: October 07, 2022, 06:07:11 PM »

I think Andy Scott's dad bought a sympathy copy too.  Grin

Great album, though!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: