TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 07:53:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 191278 times)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #420 on: September 30, 2022, 11:01:14 AM »

Laughing to myself once again over the fact that Wayne and I have not one record in common.

Jules

Edit: Correction: one album

Just the Lindisfarne for me and I have shedloads from that era.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #421 on: September 30, 2022, 11:21:11 AM »

New Springsteen single from forthcoming album of soul covers. As good as you’d expect, but not very different from original to my ears.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #422 on: September 30, 2022, 12:27:05 PM »

I'm in an REM mood, which may or may not be a good thing  Undecided

Currently Automatic for the People but shall pick one next at random - possibly Out of Time or their last Collapse in to Now

I'm so glad I saw them before they split  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #423 on: September 30, 2022, 05:04:49 PM »

Yet another appalling Neil release upcoming, chaps...

Trite lyrics, dire lazy instrumentation, repeated tropes...  It's hideous.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oscgx4g4fDk

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #424 on: September 30, 2022, 05:48:59 PM »

Laughing to myself once again over the fact that Wayne and I have not one record in common.

Jules

Edit: Correction: one album

Grin
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #425 on: September 30, 2022, 07:59:15 PM »

Yet another appalling Neil release upcoming, chaps...

Trite lyrics, dire lazy instrumentation, repeated tropes...  It's hideous.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oscgx4g4fDk

But who cares when hhe has given us Toast this year, which is nothing short of a masterpiece.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #426 on: September 30, 2022, 08:55:32 PM »

But who cares when hhe has given us Toast this year, which is nothing short of a masterpiece.

You think it's that good, eh?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #427 on: September 30, 2022, 09:02:11 PM »

Jules

I've heard the first 3 tracks from it and wasn't interested in hearing any more.  This reminds me of conversations with a great mate about every new Stones album after Tattoo You.  It's become a joke now that he declares them all masterpieces, and then 6 months later admits they had 2 decent tracks.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #428 on: September 30, 2022, 09:25:24 PM »

Jules

I do. Masterpiece may be a slight exaggeration but it is top drawer. The best think he has put out since Sleeps With Angels and actually better than that album for my money. The only thing that comes close in the interim is Psychedelic Pill (which, much as I like it, rambles on a bit). As an archive release it is better than Hitchiker and better than Homegrown, though they are all very different albums. I have listened to it repeatedly since release.  It is a 5 star album.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #429 on: September 30, 2022, 09:37:16 PM »

Jules

I've heard the first 3 tracks from it and wasn't interested in hearing any more.  This reminds me of conversations with a great mate about every new Stones album after Tattoo You.  It's become a joke now that he declares them all masterpieces, and then 6 months later admits they had 2 decent tracks.

Let's not fall out on the last proper day of TAW Grin. But that is a little insulting. I have never defended most of NY's output from the last 20 or so years. I like bits of it, some of Chrome Dreams II, Psychedelic Pill, some of Storytone. I don't return to very much else. I thought the last Crazy Horse album was patchy and the one before was poor. But every track on Toast is a delight to me. I will concede that the opening track on the album is not the strongest but it grows on repeat listening. Gateway of Love is up there with his best and the final track is a thing of haunting beauty.
wayne stote

« Reply #430 on: October 01, 2022, 12:20:45 AM »

I find Neil Young a tad inconsistent but I've been thoroughly enjoying Barn.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #431 on: October 01, 2022, 10:59:21 AM »

I have never defended most of NY's output from the last 20 or so years. I like bits of it, some of Chrome Dreams II, Psychedelic Pill, some of Storytone. I don't return to very much else. I thought the last Crazy Horse album was patchy and the one before was poor. But every track on Toast is a delight to me. I will concede that the opening track on the album is not the strongest but it grows on repeat listening. Gateway of Love is up there with his best and the final track is a thing of haunting beauty.

I can chime with all of these opinions, Gub. CDII and PP woud be the two Neil albums from the last 20 years that I enjoyed most too. When I played Toast through, I felt the same about the last track. I need to get the thing bought and dive in properly.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Peter Allen

« Reply #432 on: October 01, 2022, 11:58:19 AM »

I'm still struggling with the idea that there might be a second track on all Stones Lp's since Tattoo You that's worth listening to .Does the second one grow on you after repeated listening's ....that's a big ask .
Last new LP by the Stones in my collection was Emotional Rescue !!!

On a positive note TAW has introduced me to so much that would have otherwise passed me by , through recommendations ,both new stuff through to stuff that I should have investigated long ago

So I will say a big thank you , to those who take the time to post on here regularly , because without you , there was no point Colin putting the hours in
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #433 on: October 01, 2022, 05:35:22 PM »

I've been listening to Fleetwood Mac's 'Tusk' this afternoon. I haven't listened to this in an age and I'd forgotten just how much I liked it. There's some decent tracks here, for sure. I remember Lyndsey Buckingham saying that the Warner Bros executives first heard it just before it was released and when they realised it wasn't 'Rumours Part 2' they could see their bonuses flying out of the window Grin

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #434 on: October 02, 2022, 07:17:43 PM »

In the car en route to a duathlon today:  a free CD from Mojo of works that (may have) influenced The Beatles - can't beat a bit of Stockhausen while on the Swindon "bypass"; then the latest Miles Davis Bootleg set (Vol. 7).

Flobbadob!
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #435 on: October 02, 2022, 11:37:35 PM »

Man - Life on the Road - On Air 1972-1983. Only just started working my way through the 4 CDs and 2 DVDs in this new box set. Quite a lot of this has been out before but on long out-of-print releases, so it's good to have what amounts to virtually all their remaining UK radio and TV sessions in one place. The 1974 Horizon video is, for me, the jewel here, I remember bunking off school just to see this at the time back in those pre-video days, amazing that this BBC Schools programme managed to escape the Beeb's mass wiping policy in the 70s.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #436 on: October 03, 2022, 09:01:18 AM »

Man - Life on the Road - On Air 1972-1983. Only just started working my way through the 4 CDs and 2 DVDs in this new box set. Quite a lot of this has been out before but on long out-of-print releases, so it's good to have what amounts to virtually all their remaining UK radio and TV sessions in one place. The 1974 Horizon video is, for me, the jewel here, I remember bunking off school just to see this at the time back in those pre-video days, amazing that this BBC Schools programme managed to escape the Beeb's mass wiping policy in the 70s.

I keep meaning to get this.  Must rectify.  One of my all time favourite bands at Cropredy - that 1994 slot was brilliant.  No idea if its true but I remember them mostly wearing grey suits and looking utterly dull but playing the most amazing set of psychedelic influenced Welsh rock.  I saw them 2 or 3 times afterwards as well...once at the Patti (with the Racehorses supporting) in the late 90s.  Great, great band.

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #437 on: October 03, 2022, 09:13:24 AM »

John Martyn  :  Sapphire  (Island 2CD, 2015).
wayne stote

« Reply #438 on: October 03, 2022, 04:26:23 PM »

Sticking with a vaguely Man theme, I picked up a twofer CD of The Neutrons' albums, recently, along with Alkatraz' only release. Very enjoyable, indeed.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #439 on: October 03, 2022, 04:46:17 PM »

Sticking with a vaguely Man theme, I picked up a twofer CD of The Neutrons' albums, recently, along with Alkatraz' only release. Very enjoyable, indeed.

Don't know anything about this/them...what's the connection with Man?

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: