TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:57:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 191390 times)
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #400 on: September 25, 2022, 11:07:34 AM »

Saw the wonderful Kapreka's Constant at the Brasenose during this year's festival. I don't know if any other Talkawhilers other than Will Sawers were there.

The simply brilliant new Album "The Murder Wall " (about the attempts to climb the north face of the Eiger), its  has been on my car CD and on You tube a lot for me since. I think I love this one. Symphonic Prog at its very best.

For those who don't know them give this a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_nPefoC9p4

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #401 on: September 28, 2022, 04:53:36 PM »

Judee Sill's two albums for Asylum. I'm a recent convert. What an incredible talent she had for words and music. And what a bizarre and tragic life she led. She left behind some outstanding records though.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #402 on: September 28, 2022, 10:58:55 PM »

Listening to albums from 1979. So much absolutely wonderful music that year.

Since you ask, "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC came out in 79. As did Blondie's "Eat To The Beat", Ry Cooder's "Bop 'Til You Drop", Hawkwind's "PXR5" and Joe Jackson''s absolutely immortal "Look Sharp!".

Prince, The Roches, Rickie Lee Jones, George Harrison, Mick Taylor and The Specials all brought out eponymously titled albums.

The Police's "Regatta De Blanc", Squeeze's "Cool For Cats", Supertramp's "Breakfast In America", Tangerine Dream's "Force Majeure", Roxy Music's "Manifesto" and Mr Zappa's quite obscene and definitely fabulous "Joe's Garage" all shuffled onto this mortal coil, along with Philip Glass' "Einstein On The Beach".

Joni Mitchell brought us "Mingus". Tom Petty's "Damn the Torpedoes" and Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk" also appeared.

Not bad for the so-called "Punk" era.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #403 on: September 29, 2022, 09:29:48 AM »

Since you ask, "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC came out in 79. As did Blondie's "Eat To The Beat", Ry Cooder's "Bop 'Til You Drop", Hawkwind's "PXR5" and Joe Jackson''s absolutely immortal "Look Sharp!".

Prince, The Roches, Rickie Lee Jones, George Harrison, Mick Taylor and The Specials all brought out eponymously titled albums.

The Police's "Regatta De Blanc", Squeeze's "Cool For Cats", Supertramp's "Breakfast In America", Tangerine Dream's "Force Majeure", Roxy Music's "Manifesto" and Mr Zappa's quite obscene and definitely fabulous "Joe's Garage" all shuffled onto this mortal coil, along with Philip Glass' "Einstein On The Beach".

Joni Mitchell brought us "Mingus". Tom Petty's "Damn the Torpedoes" and Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk" also appeared.

I'd add to that list After The Fire Laser Love, Bob Dylan Slow Train Coming, Bruce Cockburn's sublime Dancing In The Dragon's Jaws, Dire Straits Communique, Jethro Tull Stormwatch, Rush Hemispheres, Sky's first album, Steve Hackett Spectral Mornings and UFO's Strangers In The Night.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #404 on: September 29, 2022, 10:57:06 AM »

I'd add to that list After The Fire Laser Love, Bob Dylan Slow Train Coming, Bruce Cockburn's sublime Dancing In The Dragon's Jaws, Dire Straits Communique, Jethro Tull Stormwatch, Rush Hemispheres, Sky's first album, Steve Hackett Spectral Mornings and UFO's Strangers In The Night.

And The Clash London Calling (despite often getting the greatest albumof the 80s tag, it was released in December 1979), Ellen Foley Nightout, Buggles Age of Plastic, David Bowie Lodger, Elvis Costello Armed Forces, Ian Hunter You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic, Neil Young Rust Never Sleeps, Nick Lowe Labour of Lust, Randy Newman Born Again, Nils Lofgren Nils and The Ruts The Crack

Yep, a pretty good year. I've always found George Harrison's 1979 album a bit bland though. Love the first two singles but it is one of my least favourite of his albums.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #405 on: September 29, 2022, 11:42:48 AM »

Here's an illustrated guide to my favourite albums of 1979, in release order. I'm particularly fond of Nick Lowe, The Stranglers, Neil Young, Culture, The Clash, Dave Edmunds, and Serge Gainsbourg.

Jules

* 1979.jpg (231.65 KB, 1225x525 - viewed 363 times.)

wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #406 on: September 29, 2022, 12:19:48 PM »

The Seventies definitely went out with a bit of a bang, quality-wise. My top twenty from '79 would look something like:

Toto - Hydra
Jefferson Starship - Freedom At Point Zero
Firefall - Elan
Toyah - Sheep Farming In Barnet
McGuinn, Clark & Hillman - S/T
Lindisfarne - The News
Kiss - Dynasty
Dan Fogelberg - Phoenix
Chris de Burgh - Crusader
The Henry Paul Band - Grey Ghost
Kansas - Monolith
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Damn The Torpedoes
Gene Parsons - Melodies
REO Speedwagon - Nine Lives
Camel - I Can See Your House From Here
Alan Hull - Phantoms
Pablo Cruise - Part Of The Game
Magnum - II
Ronnie Lane - See Me
The Marshall Tucker Band - Running Like The Wind

Peter Allen

« Reply #407 on: September 29, 2022, 01:52:00 PM »

At least Jules has listed some Lp's I bought in 1979 , most others look like a list of who was on The Old Grey Whistle Test that year , plus I love the odd one that doesn't look right
 (Serge , Toyah)

Particularly liked Tom Verlaine's solo debut
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #408 on: September 29, 2022, 02:11:55 PM »

'79 was "post-punk" central

PIL Metal Box; Wire 154; Cabaret Voltaire Mix-Up; Fall - both Live at the Witch Trials and Dragnet

If I had to choose one album that sums up the year to me (in retrospect) it's got to be Rust Never Sleeps

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #409 on: September 29, 2022, 02:17:15 PM »

What a great, diverse range of musical tastes on this board!  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #410 on: September 29, 2022, 03:43:50 PM »

'79 was "post-punk" central

PIL Metal Box; Wire 154; Cabaret Voltaire Mix-Up; Fall - both Live at the Witch Trials and Dragnet

If I had to choose one album that sums up the year to me (in retrospect) it's got to be Rust Never Sleeps

Probably a tie between Labour of Lust, Laser Love and You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic for me, though Schizophrenic was the one I was obsessed with at the time.

London Calling, being released so late in the year, dominated the first half of my 1980.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #411 on: September 29, 2022, 04:17:38 PM »

Laughing to myself once again over the fact that Wayne and I have not one record in common.

Jules

Edit: Correction: one album
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 04:39:46 PM by Jules Gray » Logged

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #412 on: September 29, 2022, 04:25:49 PM »

Laughing to myself once again over the fact that Wayne and I have not one record in common.

Jules

Er...Damn The Torpedoes? I'm slightly surprised you don't have the McGuinn, Clarke & Hillman record too. Having said that, I don't either despite being a Byrds fan.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #413 on: September 29, 2022, 04:39:01 PM »

Jules

Er...Damn The Torpedoes? I'm slightly surprised you don't have the McGuinn, Clarke & Hillman record too. Having said that, I don't either despite being a Byrds fan.

Apologies, yes, one album.

MC&H were far from great. I like the odd song here and there, but it was music made out of second guessing. The Byrds had been trailblazers. Here they were also-rans.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #414 on: September 29, 2022, 05:08:19 PM »

Forgot a crucial one earlier. The Pretenders debut album, one of my all time favourites, released 27 December 1979

* rsz_79.jpg (745.34 KB, 2560x1280 - viewed 349 times.)
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #415 on: September 29, 2022, 05:26:31 PM »

Forgot a crucial one earlier. The Pretenders debut album, one of my all time favourites, released 27 December 1979

I think it was late December here and early January 1980 in the States. Most listings have it as a 1980 release, but if we're saying '79, then I would agree.

Nilso Lofgren looks like Adam Ant on that LP cover.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #416 on: September 29, 2022, 05:38:47 PM »

Nils Lofgren looks like Adam Ant on that LP cover.

Jules

Hmmm, I'm not seeing it.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #417 on: September 29, 2022, 08:51:12 PM »

When the Day is Done, first solo album by Ali Heath from Alfa 9. Streaming only atm, physical to come shortly, really excellent album.

Not Quite the American Dream, new album from Diesel Park West with a CD of demos thrown in too.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #418 on: September 30, 2022, 10:56:28 AM »

When the Day is Done, first solo album by Ali Heath from Alfa 9. Streaming only atm, physical to come shortly, really excellent album.

Must listen to that . Saw him once solo and his songs were brilliant. Normally a bass player he was playing a 12 string strung like a six string because his fingers were so big. Phil from Alfa 9 should be mentioned in my interview for the new Fairport book.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #419 on: September 30, 2022, 10:57:22 AM »

Jules

I have every Byrds album but dont have that.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: