TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 04:25:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 191052 times)
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2022, 09:35:29 AM »

Meet On The Ledge.

RIP Adrian.

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2022, 10:31:02 AM »

It is not the same. It doesn't feel legitimate unless I own it and who is to say that it will always be possible? Artists remove stuff from streaming sites all the time. Not everything is on them anyway (After The Fire, who I was listening to the other day being a case in point. Cherry Red really do need to do a complete albums box for them but that is another story) and what happens if they go out of business or there is some sort of technical meltdown that makes them unavailable. No no no, it is unthinkable. I have to have everything where I know where I can get at it at all times even if in reality I will never listen to it again.  Grin Grin

Which is why one digitise all ones CDs....surely?   Smiley

Yes I do that but you have to have the CD in the first place and I don't believe in getting rid of the CDs and just keeping the digital files. That doesn't feel right. Also I do find that I have to re-rip CDs from time to time because files have corrupted or some such.

With you on all that.

Back on track, listening to the (young) Albions Fighting Room EP and The Vice Of The People album. Sorry I never saw them (I think FC missed a trick in not getting them to Cropredy while they were going), and that they didn't stick around a bit longer.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2022, 01:15:12 PM »

Back on track, listening to the (young) Albions Fighting Room EP and The Vice Of The People album. Sorry I never saw them (I think FC missed a trick in not getting them to Cropredy while they were going), and that they didn't stick around a bit longer.

I saw them, twice I think. Certainly at The Old Market in Brighton and possibly at the GBFF in Skegness. Did they play there? Anyway, they were terrific live and Coalville remains one of my favourite tracks of the 21st century.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2022, 01:44:35 PM »

I saw them, twice I think. Certainly at The Old Market in Brighton and possibly at the GBFF in Skegness. Did they play there? Anyway, they were terrific live and Coalville remains one of my favourite tracks of the 21st century.

They were great at Skeggy. Not what you'd call polished but certainly all the more enjoyable for it.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2022, 01:46:57 PM »

The new Anais Mitchell . fabulous, if a tad short. If you like Rosie Thomas you'll love this.

Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2022, 07:47:28 PM »

The new Hanging Stars album Hollow Heart, very much living up to expectations.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2022, 09:37:42 AM »

Soft Machine  :  Paradiso  '69 (Ltd. edition Tonefloat  LP, 2021).
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2022, 10:42:19 AM »

The Coral - Coral Island, on bright yellow vinyl. It’s as good as everyone says it is.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2022, 05:41:24 PM »

Spending the afternoon catching up on some recent releases -

The Asteroid No 4 - Tones of the Sparrow. A really superb piece of modern psychedelia, up there with their best.

Ryan Adams - Chris. Ryan's new album, only available on streaming and crappy mp3 download at present. This really deserves a physical release or at the very least a higher res download as for me it's the best thing he's done in years. A very pleasant surprise.

Midlake - For the Sake of Bethel Woods. For some reason I just can't connect with this. Have liked everything they've done previously but I'm really struggling to get too excited about this.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2022, 10:47:43 AM »

The Grammys winner Los Lobos album Native Sons.

It was a lockdown covers project consisting of LA bands who inspired them in their early days. It includes two Buffalo Springfield songs and Farmer John which I know from the Neil Young & Crazy Horse version. Good album.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2022, 12:54:45 PM »

It was a lockdown covers project consisting of LA bands who inspired them in their early days. It includes two Buffalo Springfield songs and Farmer John which I know from the Neil Young & Crazy Horse version. Good album.

The best version of Farmer John I know was by The Searchers. Neil made a right mess of it imo. But the rest of that album (Ragged Glory) is wonderful.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2022, 02:28:23 PM »

The best version of Farmer John I know was by The Searchers. Neil made a right mess of it imo. But the rest of that album (Ragged Glory) is wonderful.

Jules
The Searchers continued to make fine albums long after their successful years.
Currently listening to Bennett Wilson Poole.

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2022, 04:16:00 PM »

The Searchers continued to make fine albums long after their successful years.

I've tried many of them, but nothing comes close to the Pye Records era for me. Too many attempts to fit in with contemporary sounds on the later albums, which often come off sounding a bit, well, cheesy.

Jules

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2022, 11:01:28 PM »

Pink Floyd - Hey Hey rise up featuring Andriy Khlyvnyuk of Boombox
It's all over the interweb
It's Gilmour, Mason and Guy Pratt with Not on Sawney on keys and a recording Andriy made of the Ukranian folk/protest song from WW1 in Kiev.

https://youtu.be/saEpkcVi1d4

The Dude abides
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2022, 09:08:29 AM »

Roxy Music  :   For your Pleasure (Virgin Remastered CD, 1999).

This is the last really good Roxy Music album, imo. Marvellous debut with the self titled, and then this jewel.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2022, 09:46:58 AM »

This is the last really good Roxy Music album, imo. Marvellous debut with the self titled, and then this jewel.

Stranded, man...come on  Wink Grin

Here I'm listening to the somewhat erratic tribute album More Oar.  Skippy's last released recording is included in it as a 'hidden track'.  I've always loved it (bass from Jack Casady) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABGTwxtyzIw
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 10:08:55 AM by davidmjs » Logged

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2022, 11:09:51 AM »

Scottish folksters Manran's latest album Urar.

New member Kim Carnie adds some very pleasant vocals and the review in RnR mag described the contrast in the track Crow Flies as being as if Fairport followed Dirty Linen with Fotheringay. Not sure about that. I'll have to give it another listen.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2022, 03:53:40 PM »

All week I have been listening to an extended playlist of my favourite tracks of the 21st century to date. The music is great but I am a little disappointed in myself that less than 20 percent of these tunes were made by artists who were not already active during the previous century.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2022, 05:23:21 PM »

Stranded, man...come on  Wink Grin

Here I'm listening to the somewhat erratic tribute album More Oar.  Skippy's last released recording is included in it as a 'hidden track'.  I've always loved it (bass from Jack Casady) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABGTwxtyzIw

I dig Stranded - played it just the other day.

And I love Diesel Park's West's interpretation of All Come to Meet Her from More Oar. Transcendent!

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2022, 05:35:23 PM »

And I love Diesel Park West

Jules

You could just stop there. Great band, especially the first album.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: