TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:31:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 190106 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2022, 01:06:30 PM »

which if I'm being completely honest I've probably only listened to once.

You say that like it's unusual. That's the case with about half of my entire collection. Madness.

Jules

Madness indeed.  Less is always more.  I'm moving closer and closer to stopping buying music and culling my collection by about 75%.

Shocked Shocked I just can't. I fear that at some point there may be a particular track which is the exact thing that I wnat to listen to at that partcular moment and I will no longer have it! I did do a bit of rationalisation a couple of years ago and amongst the albums I think I donated to a chrity shop was Crossroads by Tracy Chapman. For the last few months all I have wanted to do is listen to Crossroads by Tracy Chapman even though I can't really remember anything about it. Similarly I gave my copy of Maria McKee's first album to a friend several years ago and constantly regret it. I don't suffer buyer's remorse. I suffer donators remorse.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2022, 02:28:33 PM »

You say that like it's unusual. That's the case with about half of my entire collection. Madness.

Jules

Madness indeed.  Less is always more.  I'm moving closer and closer to stopping buying music and culling my collection by about 75%.

My wife would be very happy if I did that.  Grin  Not sure I'm there yet, though...  I do buy more music as downloads these days, though.

And just to prove I'm not there yet, I'm about to open the Iain Matthews 'Rockburgh Years' CD set that just dropped through the door...

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2022, 02:30:08 PM »

Jules

Madness indeed.  Less is always more.  I'm moving closer and closer to stopping buying music and culling my collection by about 75%.

Shocked Shocked I just can't. I fear that at some point there may be a particular track which is the exact thing that I wnat to listen to at that partcular moment and I will no longer have it! I did do a bit of rationalisation a couple of years ago and amongst the albums I think I donated to a chrity shop was Crossroads by Tracy Chapman. For the last few months all I have wanted to do is listen to Crossroads by Tracy Chapman even though I can't really remember anything about it. Similarly I gave my copy of Maria McKee's first album to a friend several years ago and constantly regret it. I don't suffer buyer's remorse. I suffer donators remorse.

But you can easily listen to Crossroads and Maria McKee any time of the day or night...only about 4 clicks away..

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2022, 02:31:15 PM »

And just to prove I'm not there yet, I'm about to open the Iain Matthews 'Rockburgh Years' CD set that just dropped through the door...

And I've just come back from Liverpool with a CSN 8-track and a Paul Kantner album I didn't even know exists.  You'll probably see them at the Record Fair one of these days  Wink Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2022, 02:39:51 PM »

Jules

Madness indeed.  Less is always more.  I'm moving closer and closer to stopping buying music and culling my collection by about 75%.

My wife would be very happy if I did that.  Grin  Not sure I'm there yet, though...  I do buy more music as downloads these days, though.

Mine came today but I've been back to bed to recover from a sleepless night

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2022, 02:47:31 PM »

I've been listening to a lot of Beatles this past week. It's amazing how much I change my mind over what's the best etc. One thing I haven't changed my mind on, though, is 'Revolution 9'. A real piece of self indulgent tripe - sorry to all who love it. But on the subject of the Fab 4, until I saw the 'Get Back' film recently, I had always thought that the girl's name in 'Get Back' was Lorretta Molly. I'd been 50-odd years under a misapprehension. I still say Molly when I sing along with it.  Grin

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2022, 03:26:52 PM »

Jules

Any prog going?  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2022, 03:27:11 PM »

Jules

But you can easily listen to Crossroads and Maria McKee any time of the day or night...only about 4 clicks away..

It is not the same. It doesn't feel legitimate unless I own it and who is to say that it will always be possible? Artists remove stuff from streaming sites all the time. Not everything is on them anyway (After The Fire, who I was listening to the other day being a case in point. Cherry Red really do need to do a complete albums box for them but that is another story) and what happens if they go out of business or there is some sort of technical meltdown that makes them unavailable. No no no, it is unthinkable. I have to have everything where I know where I can get at it at all times even if in reality I will never listen to it again.  Grin Grin
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2022, 03:32:58 PM »

I've been listening to a lot of Beatles this past week. It's amazing how much I change my mind over what's the best etc. One thing I haven't changed my mind on, though, is 'Revolution 9'. A real piece of self indulgent tripe - sorry to all who love it. But on the subject of the Fab 4, until I saw the 'Get Back' film recently, I had always thought that the girl's name in 'Get Back' was Lorretta Molly. I'd been 50-odd years under a misapprehension. I still say Molly when I sing along with it.  Grin

I wouldn't say I love it and tend to skip it when I play the White Album but I gave it a few listens for the first time in years when the big box set came out a few years ago and if you are in the right mood it is extraordinarily dense, detailed and involving. It sort of makes more sense as an adjunct to the extraordinary long version of Revolution 1 from which it develops. You can see their thinking, even if part of their thinking was "let's do this behind Macca's back to piss him off".  Grin
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2022, 03:44:23 PM »

It is not the same. It doesn't feel legitimate unless I own it and who is to say that it will always be possible? Artists remove stuff from streaming sites all the time. Not everything is on them anyway (After The Fire, who I was listening to the other day being a case in point. Cherry Red really do need to do a complete albums box for them but that is another story) and what happens if they go out of business or there is some sort of technical meltdown that makes them unavailable. No no no, it is unthinkable. I have to have everything where I know where I can get at it at all times even if in reality I will never listen to it again.  Grin Grin

Which is why one digitise all ones CDs....surely?   Smiley

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2022, 03:52:08 PM »

Yes I do that but you have to have the CD in the first place and I don't believe in getting rid of the CDs and just keeping the digital files. That doesn't feel right. Also I do find that I have to re-rip CDs from time to time because files have corrupted or some such.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2022, 05:43:02 PM »

Can't be arsed with all that.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2022, 08:26:24 AM »

Can't be arsed with all that.

Jules

I know - 6 mins of one's life one will never get back, eh?   Wink

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2022, 10:45:42 AM »

It wouldn't be 6 minutes if you were starting from scratch now, would it?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2022, 02:06:25 PM »

Jules

Which is why I only do it if I sell something (or I particularly want something to listen to in that way)... I've just sold a rare TC&I (XTC) live CD on eBay for £60 I think.  I just digitise it as part and parcel of the whole packing and posting routine.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2022, 02:26:19 AM »

Jules
It took me 2 years to digitise about 3,000 CDs.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2022, 09:39:29 AM »

Small Faces - Live 1966

This week I received my autographed LP and CD from Kenney Jones. It is an amazing snapshot of mid-sixties British R&B/Punk. The recording quality is so-so (drums and bass are mixed down and lack clarity), but Mac's keys and especially Steve's voice are crystal clear. The girls scream between songs, but are mercifully quiet while the music is playing.

Steve Marriott fans must own this. There's a case to be made that he was the finest white R&B singer of his generation, and this recording is further evidence. His voice was a gift from God. This is just loads of fun and I'm so happy Kenney put it out in the world.

I still think Steve Marriott is the greatest singer I've ever seen by some distance.

The Dude abides
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2022, 11:53:19 AM »

Small Faces - Live 1966

This week I received my autographed LP and CD from Kenney Jones. It is an amazing snapshot of mid-sixties British R&B/Punk. The recording quality is so-so (drums and bass are mixed down and lack clarity), but Mac's keys and especially Steve's voice are crystal clear. The girls scream between songs, but are mercifully quiet while the music is playing.

Steve Marriott fans must own this. There's a case to be made that he was the finest white R&B singer of his generation, and this recording is further evidence. His voice was a gift from God. This is just loads of fun and I'm so happy Kenney put it out in the world.

I still think Steve Marriott is the greatest singer I've ever seen by some distance.

One of the few that I regret not seeing. The first album I ever bought was Small Faces on Immediate. Still play their stuff regularly especially Ogdens. I only ever saw Macca.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2022, 09:18:44 AM »

Small Faces - Live 1966

I saw Humble Pie in 1974 or 75. His stage presence was immense for a smaller man. We young guys admired him so much.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2022, 09:24:18 AM »

Claire Hammil  :  October  (Renaissance Records  LP, 2021).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: