TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:29:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 68   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 176866 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #160 on: May 20, 2022, 03:18:03 PM »

Johnny Cash-Strawberry Cake. A live album recorded at the London Palladium in 1975. Title track notwithstanding, I like this album a lot. The band, and in particular Bob Wooten on guitar were really strong. Wooten absolutely smoking on Big River and Rock Island Line. Also unlike other live albums from this period by Johnny, he sounded really good. Probably as a result of the pills he would stumble on words, but on these tracks he is sharp.

Probably naive of me, but I thought Johnny was off the pills by 1975.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #161 on: May 20, 2022, 03:37:42 PM »

Johnny Cash-Strawberry Cake. A live album recorded at the London Palladium in 1975. Title track notwithstanding, I like this album a lot. The band, and in particular Bob Wooten on guitar were really strong. Wooten absolutely smoking on Big River and Rock Island Line. Also unlike other live albums from this period by Johnny, he sounded really good. Probably as a result of the pills he would stumble on words, but on these tracks he is sharp.

Probably naive of me, but I thought Johnny was off the pills by 1975.

Jules

If you haven’t read Robert Hilburn’s excellent bio of Johnny I’d recommend it. Hilburn dispels a lot of the popular legend, and him ever  being off the pills for long periods is one of them. He did go back and forth with them for years, as related by his family and bandmates.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #162 on: May 20, 2022, 03:46:59 PM »

A mere thirty something years after becoming a Fairport fan I have finally decided to explore some of Swarb's work outside the band. I have been somewhat put off before by the fact that I am not really that fond of trad folk and also to some extent by Swarb's personality in later years which seemed to become somewhat misanthropic.

Anyway, I have already owned Smiddyburn & Flittin' for some years. I am now exploring Swarbrick and Swarbrick 2. I have Alive & Kicking (Swarb's Lazarus) and English Fiddler on order and I am considering Lift The Lid & Listen and The Ceilidh Album.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #163 on: May 20, 2022, 05:32:15 PM »

English Fiddler is very good. I haven't got either of the other two you are looking at, but Raison d'etre is also recommended by these ears.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #164 on: May 20, 2022, 05:43:11 PM »

Lift The Lid and Ceilidh are more like Swarbrick 1 and 2, and less like Smiddyburn. English Fiddler is very good indeed! I like all his solo stuff, with the exception of Live At Jackson’s Lane. Never really warmed to that one

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #165 on: May 20, 2022, 10:33:39 PM »

If you haven’t read Robert Hilburn’s excellent bio of Johnny I’d recommend it. Hilburn dispels a lot of the popular legend, and him ever  being off the pills for long periods is one of them. He did go back and forth with them for years, as related by his family and bandmates.

Interesting. Thanks, Rob

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #166 on: May 20, 2022, 10:34:50 PM »

A mere thirty something years after becoming a Fairport fan I have finally decided to explore some of Swarb's work outside the band. I have been somewhat put off before by the fact that I am not really that fond of trad folk and also to some extent by Swarb's personality in later years which seemed to become somewhat misanthropic.

Anyway, I have already owned Smiddyburn & Flittin' for some years. I am now exploring Swarbrick and Swarbrick 2. I have Alive & Kicking (Swarb's Lazarus) and English Fiddler on order and I am considering Lift The Lid & Listen and The Ceilidh Album.

The Free Reed Swarb! box has lots of great moments.

Jules

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #167 on: May 21, 2022, 08:36:11 AM »

Jules

Including 2 photos of me!!  Grin

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #168 on: May 21, 2022, 09:11:02 AM »

Bert Jansch  :  Edge of a Dream  (Earth  Records, gold coloured vinyl LP,  2020).

A very good later BJ album,  originally released 2002.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #169 on: May 21, 2022, 09:38:55 AM »

Jules

Including 2 photos of me!!  Grin

One to avoid then.  Wink My picture was in a Fairport tour programme once.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #170 on: May 21, 2022, 10:56:02 AM »

Bert Jansch  :  Edge of a Dream  (Earth  Records, gold coloured vinyl LP,  2020).

One of my favourites. A really good mix of guests on the album ranging from Hope Sandoval to Swarb.

Cool

I was listening to Karine Polwart's Laws of Motion album last night having missed the chance to see her last weekend as we were away. It includes 3 songs co-written with Martin Green so if you're a fan of Lau it's worth a listen.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #171 on: May 21, 2022, 06:51:03 PM »

Picked up the new Edgar Winters' album in my local HMV today. It's a tribute to his brother and guests range from Billy Gibbons to Keb Mo to Ringo Starr.

I don't often buy blues rock albums these days but I'm on track 5 and it is sounding good.

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #172 on: May 22, 2022, 11:12:31 AM »

One of my favourites. A really good mix of guests on the album ranging from Hope Sandoval to Swarb.

Cool

I was listening to Karine Polwart's Laws of Motion album last night having missed the chance to see her last weekend as we were away. It includes 3 songs co-written with Martin Green so if you're a fan of Lau it's worth a listen.

Yes, Bert's albums rarely if ever dropped in quality, though I've never been overly keen on Crimson Moon, which also has some guest appearances.

Mark Radcliffe played a Katie Polwart track this week and I was quite taken with it, not being familiar with her work.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #173 on: May 22, 2022, 11:14:11 AM »

Jonathan Kelly  :   Twice Around the Houses  (RCA LP, 1972, reissue).
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #174 on: May 22, 2022, 11:15:44 AM »

Another excellent choice. Delightful man, much missed.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #175 on: May 22, 2022, 01:53:44 PM »

Mark Radcliffe played a Katie Polwart track this week and I was quite taken with it, not being familiar with her work.

Karine's latest album is a bit different as she was joined by pianist Dave Milligan whereas most of her other recent releases featured her brother Stephen on guitars and Inge Thomson on accordion and percussion.

I've got most of her albums but I think I've only seen her once in concert. She's one of these people I seem to keep missing.

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #176 on: May 22, 2022, 04:12:03 PM »

Another excellent choice. Delightful man, much missed.

Very much so.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #177 on: May 22, 2022, 09:54:20 PM »

Picked up the new Edgar Winters' album in my local HMV today. It's a tribute to his brother and guests range from Billy Gibbons to Keb Mo to Ringo Starr.

I don't often buy blues rock albums these days but I'm on track 5 and it is sounding good.

It is rather good, isn't it?  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #178 on: May 23, 2022, 08:51:36 AM »

Jonathan Kelly  :   Outside/Two Days in Winter (BGO 2CD, 2004).

Rare Bird  :  Epic Forest  (el CD, 2004).
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #179 on: May 27, 2022, 03:37:58 PM »

A Very Unusual Head - The Slambovian Circus of Dreams. Finally released in the UK six months after the US release.

and

On Arrival - Daphne's Flight which took me by surprise as I didn't think it was out yet and  which has alredy been rendered something of a curio by Christine Collister's departure from the band (replaced by Melanie Sykes who is not on the album).
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 68   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: