TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:39:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 190392 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2022, 11:08:27 PM »

Wot, no Rush?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2022, 09:23:05 AM »

Wot, no Rush?

The Spirit of Radio is in the Grade 8 syllabus...

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2022, 09:40:49 AM »

James Taylor - Mud Slide Slim, CSNY - De Ja Vue, The Band 'Best Of'

Lovely

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2022, 03:40:31 PM »

Currently listening to the rather wonderful 5 disc set “Think I’m Going Weird : Original Artefacts From The British Psychedelic Scene 1966 - 1968”

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2022, 10:24:55 AM »

Ian A. Anderson  :  Royal York Crescent   (Bonfire records LP,  Record Store Day, 2022).

The one that got away. This didn't appear on any RSD list I've seen. It's a bona fide release licensed by Cherry Red.  One of, i think, 3 IAA solo albums from the 70s.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2022, 11:19:16 AM »

Pie and Vinyl (Yes, they really do sell pies and records!) in Southsea came up trumps and managed to track down the Record Store Day release by Pearls Before Swine “The Exaltation of Tom Rapp” which I was unable to obtain on the day.
Considering it is made up of demos, the production isn’t bad at all, including an excellent version of my favourite PBS song “The Jeweler”

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2022, 11:23:52 PM »

Pie and Vinyl sounds like my kind of shop!  Cheesy

I'm working through the night here so entertaining myself with Mr Fripp including this stunning piece of stunningness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laKt80x0E4k and in the small wee hours it'll be Porcupine Tree.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Peter Allen

« Reply #127 on: May 09, 2022, 10:42:42 AM »

I'm working through the night here so entertaining myself with Mr Fripp including this stunning piece of stunningness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laKt80x0E4k and in the small wee hours it'll be Porcupine Tree.

There's only one song for the Small Hours , either Katie Spencer's cover , or John Martyn's original outdoor with the geese ...
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2022, 09:10:05 AM »

The 40th anniversary release of Rush's Moving Pictures arrived yesterday.  I've only listened to the remaster (from 2015, but released on CD for the first time) of the original album so far, and to this inexpert ears it does sound a bit better than the original.  Still have the 2 hours of the Toronto concert from 1981 to listen to - reviews say it is better than Exit... Stage Left (much of which was recorded two days later in Montreal), so we'll see...

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #129 on: May 10, 2022, 01:14:09 PM »

There's only one song for the Small Hours , either Katie Spencer's cover , or John Martyn's original outdoor with the geese ...
That would have definitely sent me to sleep! I could have done with it at 5.30am when I finished tho - I was as bright as a button by then  Undecided

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2022, 02:28:35 PM »

Sparks - Past Tense - a 3 disc anthology of hits and key tracks from pop's answer to Gilbert and George. The recent material is particularly good. Genre-defying, intelligent, witty, inventive music, and the most fun I've had for £13 in living memory.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Peter Allen

« Reply #131 on: May 11, 2022, 09:20:20 AM »

I've not thought about Sparks for a long long time , I had a friend who got into them and constantly played  me "Kimono" "Propoganda" and "Indiscreet" circa 1975/6
Not sure whether to just relive old times with those 3 titles or to go to the triple CD compilation that Jules' mentioned

That's what I love about this site , offbeat recommendations , for old and new stuff all worthy of investigation !
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #132 on: May 11, 2022, 11:23:44 AM »

Graham Nash Live. Excellent. After loving the early CSNY recordings I turned away during the mid period but realised my mistake 20 odd years ago. A much undervalued performer .

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #133 on: May 11, 2022, 12:00:02 PM »

Graham Nash Live. Excellent. After loving the early CSNY recordings I turned away during the mid period but realised my mistake 20 odd years ago. A much undervalued performer .

Musically, I think I was guilty of underrating Graham's prime era material, but that was easy to do when he was in the company of CS&Y.  There is, however, an arrogance to the man that I find really difficult to warm to, as much as I am desperate to.  At times it touches on the almost Donovanesque!  I'm not sure if 1986's Innocent Eyes counts as "mid period", but that is hideous.  I bought that on the same day as Landing on Water.  My 19 year old self wept bitter little 80's keyboard tears that night, I can tell ya...  Wink Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #134 on: May 11, 2022, 12:56:28 PM »

At times it touches on the almost Donovanesque!  Grin

Nothing, absolutely nothing could match the drivel that comes out of his mouth in between such great songs.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2022, 01:11:29 PM »

There is, however, an arrogance to the man that I find really difficult to warm to

Absolutely this. Same here.

I'm not sure if 1986's Innocent Eyes counts as "mid period", but that is hideous.  I bought that on the same day as Landing on Water.  My 19 year old self wept bitter little 80's keyboard tears that night, I can tell ya...  Wink Grin

Grin Grin Grin

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2022, 01:14:42 PM »

I've not thought about Sparks for a long long time , I had a friend who got into them and constantly played  me "Kimono" "Propoganda" and "Indiscreet" circa 1975/6
Not sure whether to just relive old times with those 3 titles or to go to the triple CD compilation that Jules mentioned

I say get the 3 CD set (it's such a bargain) and then get any individual albums you still yearn for afterwards. Apart from anything else, it's a genuine treat to hear their recent stuff which I reckon is even better than their 70s stuff overall (although "This Town..." probably remains their single greatest achievement).

Jules

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2022, 04:47:54 PM »

Not sure whether to just relive old times with those 3 titles or to go to the triple CD compilation that Jules mentioned

I say get the 3 CD set (it's such a bargain) and then get any individual albums you still yearn for afterwards. Apart from anything else, it's a genuine treat to hear their recent stuff which I reckon is even better than their 70s stuff overall (although "This Town..." probably remains their single greatest achievement).

Jules
Oh you lot  Angry I've only gone and bought the 3-CD set   Lips Sealed  Lips Sealed

You're a bad influence  Roll Eyes

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2022, 05:22:08 PM »

Oh you lot  Angry I've only gone and bought the 3-CD set   Lips Sealed  Lips Sealed

Yay! Prepare for lots of fun!

Jules

Peter Allen

« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2022, 06:38:33 PM »

Yay! Prepare for lots of fun!

Jules

Me too , are you on commission , probably not at 12.99 a throw
Came on here looking for feedback on the 2 x Sandy releases on RSD2022 , ordered a Sparks compilation  instead , that's TAW !
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: