TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:03:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: De mixing/Re mixing software  (Read 13079 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« on: March 11, 2022, 05:05:22 PM »

I don't in any sense regard myself as a musician and I may be in the realms of fantasy here but I dabbled in songwriting for about a decade from the late 80s through to the late 90s. I made demos of these songs on a Tascam 4 track recorder and these were then mixed down to two track stereo cassettes. I have recently made digital copies of the cassettes and in doing so I have discovered a bunch of songs which I rather like but which are let down by the recordings (cheap keyboard sounds and synth bass).

Just for my own amusement and because I will shortly have much more time on my hands I would like to try and "correct" these recordings to my own satisfaction. What I have in mind is to de mix them to remove the elements that I don't like and then re-record those elements with more sympathetic instrumentation using something like Protools.

My question therefore is, does anyone know of any software that would enable me to demix from two track stereo digital files in order to split out the various elements into multiple tracks and delete the elements I don't like, leaving a digital multitrack onto which I could record additional instrumentation? It is a big ask I know but I figured somebody here might have some idea.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 11:46:15 PM »

Pro Tools? As I recall there's a free version.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 02:08:59 PM »

Pro Tools? As I recall there's a free version.

Thanks Andy, yes I think Protools is the way forward for re-recording but I don't think it can handle the de-mixing that I need to do first.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 03:12:19 PM »

Al, I can't advise on the techy stuff, but...

if you could demix, you could have your original demos, plus new versions with re-recorded instrumentation, then you could produce new acoustic demos, then add instruments, do an instrumental version, etc etc

Enough for a boxed set, there! "The Complete Gubbins" perhaps? ;-)

I'm not helping, I know....

Flobbadob!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: