TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:37:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2022  (Read 61638 times)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2022, 09:30:41 AM »

Steve Hogarth has apologised (within about 48 hours of the event) for being over-refreshed during Marillion's 2017 appearance :

"First of all, I apologise for the language. I did wake up in the middle of the night on Saturday in a cold sweat over some of the things I’d said from the stage. You’re right - I could have done without resorting to the f word quite so much.

I live fairly local to the village of Cropredy and quite a few of my friends are farmers, so those comments were meant in fun and in their direction. I received texts later from one or two of them and they took my jibes in the spirit I had meant them"
Being drunk is a great excuse, I used it once or twice myself when I did stupid things drunk, but his mean attitude, his nastiness and his continual insults directed toward Fairport and indeed Cropredy were beyond apology. IMHO.
You have to ask why he is appearing

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2022, 10:43:10 AM »

Steve Hogarth has apologised (within about 48 hours of the event) for being over-refreshed during Marillion's 2017 appearance :

"First of all, I apologise for the language. I did wake up in the middle of the night on Saturday in a cold sweat over some of the things I’d said from the stage. You’re right - I could have done without resorting to the f word quite so much.

I live fairly local to the village of Cropredy and quite a few of my friends are farmers, so those comments were meant in fun and in their direction. I received texts later from one or two of them and they took my jibes in the spirit I had meant them"
Being drunk is a great excuse, I used it once or twice myself when I did stupid things drunk, but his mean attitude, his nastiness and his continual insults directed toward Fairport and indeed Cropredy were beyond apology. IMHO.
You have to ask why he is appearing

Andy, I will admit to being disappointed at Mr Hogarth's drunken demeanour in 2017. I don't really enjoy seeing musicians, whoever they are, teetering on the edge of capability. Each to their own - some artists are well-oiled drinking machines, but don't show it or appear that way in front their audience. Basic professionalism.

As for why Hogarth is appearing, I'm not sure Cropredy powers that be have any authority over who the guest vocalists are in Trevor Horn's band. I'm sure Mr Horn will keep him on a reasonably tight leash, he's not one to suffer fools...
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2022, 11:09:55 AM »

Or it would seem to me that someone in Fairport has an obsession with Marillion - they can't seem to keep them away.
Which is ok for fans of Marillion, but....

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2022, 11:21:46 AM »

Or it would seem to me that someone in Fairport has an obsession with Marillion - they can't seem to keep them away.

As Dan rightly points out, who Trevor wants singing in his band is no concern of the management...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2022, 12:17:06 PM »

As Dan rightly points out, who Trevor wants singing in his band is no concern of the management...

More likely to do with who is available than anything else. Artists are on catch-up for all those missed gigs - Marillion don't go on tour until September so he's free. I doubt Fairport specifically asked for him but let's not write him off before the field has even been cleared of cows. At least try and enjoy yourselves - it's been two years!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2022, 12:47:11 PM »

More likely to do with who is available than anything else. Artists are on catch-up for all those missed gigs - Marillion don't go on tour until September so he's free. I doubt Fairport specifically asked for him but let's not write him off before the field has even been cleared of cows. At least try and enjoy yourselves - it's been two years!

Well said!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2022, 12:56:25 PM »

Well said!

three actually  Wink Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2022, 03:01:02 PM »

Well said!

three actually  Wink Grin
Even more reason to enjoy ourselves! We've got some catching up to do too  Cheesy

Sue & Chris

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2022, 12:05:04 AM »

Well if the last performance by the Trevor Horn Band is anything to go by, the guest vocalist will only be on for three or four songs, so I wouldn't get too worried about it.

As for being drunk onstage, Hogarth has nothing on John Martyn, or even Peggy (who, I'll grant you, hides it well).

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2022, 09:23:24 AM »

Well if the last performance by the Trevor Horn Band is anything to go by, the guest vocalist will only be on for three or four songs, so I wouldn't get too worried about it.

As for being drunk onstage, Hogarth has nothing on John Martyn, or even Peggy (who, I'll grant you, hides it well).

Or Shane?? I once saw him fall over and get stuck between an amp and the drum riser.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2022, 03:48:50 PM »

Or Rory Gallagher.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2022, 03:50:59 PM »

Or Rory Gallagher.

Only time I saw Rory he was in an appalling state, poor bloke (Folkestone, 80s).  I also saw an absolutely awful Gil Scott Heron gig (Canterbury, 90s), when he too was very ill.  Disappointing.

Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2022, 01:26:41 PM »

Official Cropredy 2022 playlist is up on Spotify; some great stuff on there which has really whetted my appetite. I really like the Trevor Horn version of It’s different for Girls, featuring Steve Hogarth on vocals (ducks and runs away!)
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2022, 02:02:52 PM »

Or Rory Gallagher.

Only time I saw Rory he was in an appalling state, poor bloke (Folkestone, 80s).  I also saw an absolutely awful Gil Scott Heron gig (Canterbury, 90s), when he too was very ill.  Disappointing.

I must have been lucky, then. I saw him three times in the 70s - on top form every time.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Peter Allen

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2022, 02:20:26 PM »

Did anyone see John Martyn in any other state ...not sure I would have wanted to see him 100% sober , wouldn't you feel let down , same with The Faces I imagine
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2022, 03:17:27 PM »

Did anyone see John Martyn in any other state ...not sure I would have wanted to see him 100% sober , wouldn't you feel let down , same with The Faces I imagine

I saw him in Edinburgh in '86 but as I'd been in the pub between leaving work and the start of the gig I don't think I would have been in any position to pass judgement on his sobriety or otherwise.

Must have a look on setlist.fm and see what he played on that tour.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2022, 04:42:24 PM »

When I saw him supporting Sandy in the early 70's , he walked on stage with his guitar, a crate of Guiness and a spliff.

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2022, 05:01:38 PM »

Or Rory Gallagher.

I saw Rory loads of times and he was never the worse for drink as far as I could tell

The Dude abides
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2022, 06:55:01 PM »

Saw Ian McCulloch of Echo & the Bunnymen fame a few years back, totally off his trolley. He forgot his words,  swore at the audience & at a bemused Ian Brodie who was meant to be accompanying him on the guitar but gave up half way through with a shrug. He was appalling.

We walked out.

vince42

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2022, 08:39:36 PM »

Saw Frankie Miller some years back who kept complaining how bright the lights were, Brian Robertson accompanying on guitar could barely stand up but still managed to play...

We bought John Martyn a pint after his gig about a year before he passed - just keeping him topped up while he held court.  Great gig in a little 50 seater venue.

Vince
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: