TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 28, 2022, 05:19:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Message from Eliza Carthy  (Read 2530 times)
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2022, 01:53:47 PM »

Charity is obviously not the answer - a political and social system that supports people from the cradle to the grave (which is entirely affordable and achievable) is that. †But it is AN answer in a short-term sense and shows that people are kind and look after each other in times of great need. †I'm happy to have supported the appeal and am delighted they now have a little money to tide them over. †If you want everybody to have access to decent standards of living then you need to get out there and start changing the world for us all. †It all starts with people being kind to each other and this (well most of this), I think, is a nice reflection of that.
I agree 100%. When I put my original post up, I deliberately said I hoped people would do what they could, leaving it up to individuals to make their own mind up what they could or wanted to do. I am very grateful that at 80 Martin Carthy clearly does not want to retire. Long may he continue.

This has been an awful few years for so many. We have all seen the impact on different sectors. Every day I am dealing with parents at school who have had businesses closed down or put on hold - travel, entertainment, hospitality, those who rely on being able to travel. My son works in the theatre and saw his work stop for over 12 months. He was able to work on Tesco to make ends meet, but not everyone can.

From all the activities in my Rotary club, especially our work in Africa, it has been clear you canít help everyone or sort out all the problems around. You just do what you can and be grateful there are others who think the same way.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Local Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2022, 08:00:59 PM »

For the sake of a fiver I would buy them a pint at the bar if I saw them after a gig. (In fact this is cheaper than purchasing a T.shirt!!  Cheesy) Over many years the family have given the folk/music world so much pleasure and continue to do so. A donation with as little as one can afford shows we care and yes would love to be able to do it for every band I love. I've helped Miranda Sykes by buying her sea glass necklaces as Christmas presents and beautiful gifts they are too. Glad to know she has been given the opportunity to tour again very soon with Daphne's Flight.  Kiss
Jon Boden and Eliza are performing their cancelled Christmas concert in June so our tickets have been moved to the new tour date.
A lot of our fave musicians have had to come up with innovative ideas in order to survive!

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: