TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 17, 2021, 06:58:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: as the T Shirts said …NOTPREDY 2021  (Read 1276 times)
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« on: August 16, 2021, 06:21:29 PM »

Well, that was good.  Very ,very good.

For the 500 or so who camped on the spacious and excellent “Old Dairy Farm”, known as Cream of The Crop for its festival weekend, the 2021 visit to hallowed Ground actually occurred. OK, this was not our beloved festival as we know it, but there was good music, beer and food in the North Oxfordshire sunshine. With acts playing there, at the Red Lion, and at the Brasenose, there was very much to enjoy and it felt like a real festival.

The Old Dairy Farm (Field 8 as was) is approx. 10 acres of pleasant level grassland in two separate paddocks with the excellent stage, bar, kitchen and toilet block as you enter opposite the school. Near these is a Swing Park for Kids enhanced for the weekend by free Bouncy Castle, then the enclosure with the Pygmy Goats and the Parakeet aviary. All in all, an idyllic camp site.

The music was pretty good too. By the time we were set up and had eaten on the Wednesday evening “Brighter Than “put in a nice relaxed set. I came back to the stage area in time to see “Plainsong” (Iain Mathews and Andy Roberts) setting up. The class oozed outward from them. It was all pretty good, but the version of, Funke and Fire, was excellent.

Food at Field 8 was very good. Decent burgers for £5, and with Hook Norton beers at £3-50; very reasonable prices for a festival. There were mobile Ice cream and coffee vendors too. The laid back, friendly vibe was enjoyable.

Thursday saw the Brasenose Fringe commence. With the Actual Pub closed and with big barriers across all entrances, with a very large security Prescence in evidence. The feel was more claustrophobic than on Field 8. Beer was £5 per pint and a burger would have set me back £9 so I resisted. “Treebeard” opened up and I only caught the last couple of their well-received set. Next on were “The Milkmen” I hadn't heard this London based ,80’s style Pub rock band before, but I will take every opportunity I get to hear them again. They looked and sounded like classic Doctor Feelgood. They did some ZZ Top, Some Feelgood and other Blues rock stuff. Very professional, full of energy and to me a highlight of the weekend.  

A walk back to the Old Dairy Farm saw me enjoy, “Dandelion Charm”, who put in a pleasing set. Next up came “The Julie July band “. Sitting in the Cropredy Sunshine hearing (mostly) the songs of Sandy Deny played so well was a treat. I went back to the Brasenose to try to hear “Folklore”. I don’t know why, but to me the sound was awful. The band appeared to be led by a powerful singer who seemed to be scratching out a vibrant fiddle. However, all that came over to me was a dominant percussion and unbalanced vocals. I am sure they are very good and I will try to hear them again.

Friday gave a choice between a solo set from “Scott Doonican “at Field 8 and “Leatherat” on the Brasenose stage. Put off by the sound and prices at the Brasenose I saw Scott. It proved a good choice as he was in fine form and had the nearby sound crew in hysterics. At the end I used the car to get up to the Pub to see the last half of “3 Daft Monkeys” wowing an almost capacity crowd. When these are good, they are very good, and they were good. Quick exit and car back in time to catch “Green Man Rising” who I had heard good things about but never seen. I love a bit of traditional Dancy stuff and was very impressed and will look out for them to catch a full set a.s.a.p.  

Saturday was our final day and I sat outside the tent cooking up a late breakfast and listening to a very well-played set from “The Dylan Rythm Band”. I was thinking about hot footing it up to the Brasenose for John Ottway but next at Field 8 was a band called “Haze”.  Now I was a big fan of a Sheffield based Progressive rock band of the same name in the 80’s but they sort of disappeared from my view. To my surprise and delight it was that same band. Oh, joy as some of the best prog you could ever wish for kept me entranced. Then no sooner had I got my food ordered than on came “Green Diesel” who played a real folk rock set of some quality. These give Tradarr a run for their money as best younger acts of the genre. They were very good.  

It was up to the Brasenose for the festival finale for us. “The Bar Steward Sons of Val Doonican”. Pint and Puppet T shirts much in evidence as a very large crowd awaited. Jane Merrick’s Fluffy cat was on stage and all seemed well, the time approached and went past. Scott and Bjorn were sound checked and ready to go, but no Alan. HIs mike was set up and the stand for his keyboard too, eventually an announcement, he wasn’t coming, the reason offered was that he was unwell. This seemed to catch Scott and Bjorn out, but like true pro’s they got on with it. Excellent from start to finishing with Jump and encoring with a Wonder stuff cover they had the place rocking. Well done, guys. Back at field 8 “The SKAlectrics” were still going strong in front of a very receptive crowd. They pumped out raucous stuff from Bad Manners, Madness and the Specials. How we bounced, sang and partied. What a great way to end a great weekend.

NOTPREDY 2021 was a great event, thanks to all who made it possible. The programme at the Brasenose was inspired and worth the ticket price. “The Old Dairy Cream of the crop field 8 Farm” was a brilliant place, Great music, great stage, great food, great beer and great sound. I will not consider Cropredy camping anywhere else after this experience. Spacious, safe and relaxed unlike our host Gerry Del Guercio who seemed to be everywhere, doing everything and at manic pace, but always with a smile on his face.

For those who were there I am sure you enjoyed it as much as I did. For those who weren't, well see you next year.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 06:32:19 PM »

Thursday saw the Brasenose Fringe commence. With the Actual Pub closed and with big barriers across all entrances, with a very large security Prescence in evidence. The feel was more claustrophobic than on Field 8. Beer was £5 per pint and a burger would have set me back £9 so I resisted.

How utterly cr@p!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 06:54:36 PM »

The burgers were £9 each… G bought them when we were there for the Fairport gig…. They looked vile,
I just ate the bun, tomato n lettuce… what a disgusting rip off!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 06:58:57 PM »

The burgers were £9 each… G bought them when we were there for the Fairport gig…. They looked vile,
I just ate the bun, tomato n lettuce… what a disgusting rip off!

I think that's called not really getting what 'this' (the wider Cropredy vibe) is all about.  It is perfectly possible to make a jolly good profit and yet not provide a dreadful product at an exorbitantly high cost.  Very disappointing.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

I know where my towel is

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 07:16:12 PM »

Someone corrected me on facebook  . Evidently they paid £4 for Hooky. I am sure I was charged £5 for a pint of London Pride.

Apologies if I was wrong.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 08:37:42 PM »

Someone corrected me on facebook  . Evidently they paid £4 for Hooky. I am sure I was charged £5 for a pint of London Pride.

Apologies if I was wrong.

Well, nobody is correcting you about the £9 burgers.  The point stands.

Paul
I've Got A Bike
Local Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 10:10:26 PM »

Hookey £4.00, London Pride £5.00.

Burgers were £7.00 and excellent. Even more excellent were the nachos, can't remember the price, but similar to the burgers, however they contained enough for two. Highlight was an enormous hot dog covered in beef chili which nearly defeated me.

Paul

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 10:46:43 AM »

What happened to the Red Lion fringe? Did that not take place?

I've got nothing to say but it's OK
malcolm talking elephant
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 10:50:46 AM »

With these two year intermissions just you wait next year will be an absolute blast.

Can't wait to be back and seeing all our friends again.

As the T Shirts say .... To Be Continued.....
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

I know where my towel is

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 02:00:21 PM »

Hi Andy

I didn't get to the Red Lion so couldn't review it.

I was told that they had 6X on draft though. Be interesting to know what the price per pint was.
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

I know where my towel is

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 02:04:43 PM »

Peter Richards (Promoter of the Brasenose Fringe) explained the security to me on Facebook.. Council requirement.

Although the burgers I saw were indeed £9, evidently there were £7 ones available too.

My Pint of London Pride did indeed cost £5. I could have had Hooky for £4.

Chose LP because I was drinking Hooky at Field 8. Didn't realise the price difference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: