TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 19, 2021, 12:01:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Record Store Day 2021  (Read 4946 times)
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2021, 03:02:10 PM »

I recently spent time in the infamous Cob Records in Porthmadog..

Not a single Fairport nor Maart recording could I find in there (and Maart only lived a few miles away)…

I'm delighted Cob Records is still going strong. I've picked up loads of great new (to me!) albums there over the years. Probably my most treasured one is an original cassette of Frogmorton's At Last, from1976.

Like this one?

Indeed!  Good to know mine's not the only one still out there!  Smiley

I found a CD a year or two which has a decent extra song but the track list has been messed about with and I don't think it flows as the cassette so the latter has remained my go-to way of listening to the album.  Smiley
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2021, 12:26:17 PM »

Any purchases on day 2 of Record Store Day?

Mine was the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young “Déjà Vu Alternates” from the excellent “Pie & Vinyl” store in Southsea (Yes, they really do sell pies and vinyl!)

Can’t help thinking the description “Déjà Vu as you have never heard it before” is something of an oxymoron!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2021, 03:21:28 PM »

Not a lot calling to me and I couldn't decide whether I really needed the John Prone or Dr John releases. Both still available online from my nearest participating store so I am still thinking about it.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2021, 06:24:41 PM »

I couldn't get to a store, but I got the Crass release (ltd to 450) which is the only one I 'needed'.  Had to buy it on eBay at about a 60% mark up, but hey.  "Pay no more than...."

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Brian Green

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2021, 01:00:50 AM »

I had a very enjoyable morning.
Got to my local shop about 75 mins before opening
Queue was about 40-50 people.
Had a good chat with those around me ,it is great listening and learning from others tastes and experiences over the years and in some cases finding that we were in the same audience for a particular show!
The cafe nearby also opened to enable those queuing to have drinks and snacks.(and use their loo ,very handy!)
I picked up Crass,Black Sabbath,Hawkwind Greasy Truckers ,Cat Stevens and John Martyn.
I waited about 90 mins in the queue and the time passed quickly.
The shop only allowed 2 "bubbles" in at a time
This worked well as plenty of space to browse the racks.
I believe the owner will consider adopting a similar system even when there are no covid restrictions.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2021, 06:39:53 AM »

I had a very enjoyable morning.
Got to my local shop about 75 mins before opening
Queue was about 40-50 people.
Had a good chat with those around me ,it is great listening and learning from others tastes and experiences over the years and in some cases finding that we were in the same audience for a particular show!
The cafe nearby also opened to enable those queuing to have drinks and snacks.(and use their loo ,very handy!)
I picked up Crass,Black Sabbath,Hawkwind Greasy Truckers ,Cat Stevens and John Martyn.
I waited about 90 mins in the queue and the time passed quickly.
The shop only allowed 2 "bubbles" in at a time
This worked well as plenty of space to browse the racks.
I believe the owner will consider adopting a similar system even when there are no covid restrictions.

Which shop, Brian...whereabouts?  I might have to get that Hawkwind too, I suspect....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Brian Green

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2021, 07:23:50 AM »

The shop is called Hundred Records, David.
It is a small independent in Romsey ,Hampshire.
The Hawkwind is no longer on their available list but Mark,the owner ,is really helpful.
I have known him to be able to source more copies of RSD items if requested.
They have a very good website which I expect you will find interesting.
Hope this helps.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2021, 09:15:27 AM »

The shop is called Hundred Records, David.
It is a small independent in Romsey ,Hampshire.
The Hawkwind is no longer on their available list but Mark,the owner ,is really helpful.
I have known him to be able to source more copies of RSD items if requested.
They have a very good website which I expect you will find interesting.
Hope this helps.

Oh yes, I do know it...have been there once when visiting friends.  Nice shop.  I suspect that like the Crass I'll just buy the Hawkwind at an over inflated price online.  I do have a love/hate relationship with RSD!

Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2021, 09:45:14 AM »

I discovered Cob in 1978 on a school trip and bought a copy of the Italian import single of Pink Floyd's Point Me At The Sky, and I too, bought a lot of stuff via the mail order service.
Until recently, I've driven all the way there with a pile of cash and returned with a stack of vinyl, once or twice a year.
Sometimes I go and sit on Black Rock Sands for half an hour, too.
Class shop.

I'll be in Cob sometime later this week. The original owner died a few years back and his brother has taken over the shop, it's still worth a visit but not quite what it used to be back in the day. Used to come out of there with piles of stuff, these days not so much. Anyone remember the Bangor and Wrexham shops? Both long gone sadly.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2021, 08:33:20 PM »

I discovered Cob in 1978 on a school trip and bought a copy of the Italian import single of Pink Floyd's Point Me At The Sky, and I too, bought a lot of stuff via the mail order service.
Until recently, I've driven all the way there with a pile of cash and returned with a stack of vinyl, once or twice a year.
Sometimes I go and sit on Black Rock Sands for half an hour, too.
Class shop.

I'll be in Cob sometime later this week. The original owner died a few years back and his brother has taken over the shop, it's still worth a visit but not quite what it used to be back in the day. Used to come out of there with piles of stuff, these days not so much. Anyone remember the Bangor and Wrexham shops? Both long gone sadly.

I visited the Bangor one a couple of times, after the Portmadoc trip. I didn't know about the Wrexham one, or I would have added that to the journey.

Well I never did..
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2021, 09:08:52 AM »

I visited the Bangor one a couple of times, after the Portmadoc trip. I didn't know about the Wrexham one, or I would have added that to the journey.

Wrexham was very short lived, opened late 70s and only lasted a year or two. They put in a couple of video gaming machines, which they later admitted was a mistake, but they were a new thing at the time and they felt it would get more people through the door. It did but not necessarily the types they were looking for. As the owner later told me they just used to hang around in there all day and steal a few albums on their way out.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: