TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 18, 2021, 11:41:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Record Store Day 2021  (Read 4944 times)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2021, 06:09:56 AM »

Baby brother bought a limited 40th anniversary vinyl edition of "Face Dances," with extras including alternate versions of album tracks, outtakes, and the four Face Dances tunes performed on Rockpalast in 1981.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2021, 10:43:34 AM »

Baby brother bought a limited 40th anniversary vinyl edition of "Face Dances," with extras including alternate versions of album tracks, outtakes, and the four Face Dances tunes performed on Rockpalast in 1981.

Sounds like a pretty nice package.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Peter Allen

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2021, 09:28:00 AM »

So what did people get??
 Huh Cool

2 copies of the Amy Winehouse Remixes , which will remain sealed , because I've now heard them on Youtube and won't ever want to hear them again . The original's that Salam and Mark produced remain perfection . £35 each , at least its for 2 good causes , keeping an indie record shop alive and the Amy Foundation.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2021, 09:00:37 AM »

Well, I got the 2 Bert Jansch LPs.

These are reissues of Edge of a Dream (2001) and The Black Swan (2006). Edge of a Dream has not had a standalone vinyl release before. The Black Swan slipped out on vinyl but didn't seem to be widely available.  

I'm pleased with both  although I had to return The Black Swan for another copy due to pressing issues.

It's good to see Earth Records making Bert's back catalogue available again. He had a long and distinguished solo career,  imo, and there's  lots to explore.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2021, 01:10:14 PM »

A rather silly but extremely nice looking set:
Alestorm’s “Sunset on the Golden Age”. A bit of Pirate Metal!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2021, 09:59:10 AM »

My take on it is that Fisherman's Blues was a compromise.  It should have been either two separate albums or one double.  As it is, you get three years development shoehorned into one album.  Room to Roam on the other hand is a complete picture of a moment in time.  Fisherman's Blues reaches higher heights, but Room to Roam is more coherent, and more joyful.

Jules

Seconds for this! 👍

This little David/Jules/Skirky mini thread has finally urged me to go beyond the Waterboys' greatest hits and buy some actual albums. I know a lot more songs than I own from live gigs, but I have just been informed that This Is The Sea, Fisherman's Blues, Room To Roam and Dream Harder have been dispatched. £8 the lot.

Well I never did..
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2021, 10:06:23 AM »

My take on it is that Fisherman's Blues was a compromise.  It should have been either two separate albums or one double.  As it is, you get three years development shoehorned into one album.  Room to Roam on the other hand is a complete picture of a moment in time.  Fisherman's Blues reaches higher heights, but Room to Roam is more coherent, and more joyful.

Jules

Seconds for this! 👍

This little David/Jules/Skirky mini thread has finally urged me to go beyond the Waterboys' greatest hits and buy some actual albums. I know a lot more songs than I own from live gigs, but I have just been informed that This Is The Sea, Fisherman's Blues, Room To Roam and Dream Harder have been dispatched. £8 the lot.

Wow! Possibly the best bang (on the ear) for your buck I’ve seen in a long time! Obviously the one you really need is A Pagan Place… etc etc  Grin

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2021, 10:11:46 AM »

Jules

Seconds for this! 👍

Wow! Possibly the best bang (on the ear) for your buck I’ve seen in a long time! Obviously the one you really need is A Pagan Place… etc etc  Grin

Give it time, give it time...  Smiley

Well I never did..
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2021, 12:54:29 PM »

I recently spent time in the infamous Cob Records in Porthmadog..

Not a single Fairport nor Maart recording could I find in there (and Maart only lived a few miles away)…

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2021, 01:02:01 PM »

Not a single Fairport nor Maart recording could I find in there (and Maart only lived a few miles away)…

Why is it infamous Jenny? I'm intrigued.

I think Maart's CDs are getting scarce in general. There are a couple that I have struggled to get hold of in recent years, not having picked them up at the time.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2021, 02:17:49 PM »

I think Maart's CDs are getting scarce in general. There are a couple that I have struggled to get hold of in recent years, not having picked them up at the time.

Maybe I meant famous…

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2021, 02:42:04 PM »

Maybe I meant famous…

"Infamy, infamy, they've all got it infamy!"

I almost went in COB t'other week, but arrived in Porthmadog just as they were closing.  I've picked up a few Crim-related CDs there over the years, though.

Said the straight man, to the late man...
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2021, 02:43:46 PM »

Maybe I meant famous…

"Infamy, infamy, they've all got it infamy!"

I almost went in COB t'other week, but arrived in Porthmadog just as they were closing.  I've picked up a few Crim-related CDs there over the years, though.

Glad I’m not the only one that knows of it.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2021, 02:44:40 PM »

Glad I’m not the only one that knows of it.

It's quite 'old school' and its pricing is all over the place but there are bargains to be had there.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Peter Allen

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2021, 02:53:17 PM »

I used to buy and part exchange vinyl with Cob via mail order in the 1980's and did visit it once , glad to hear it's still operating
Remember picking up Television's "Adventure" on red vinyl ,for about £2  although I think black vinyl copies were rarer....
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2021, 03:54:11 PM »

I discovered Cob in 1978 on a school trip and bought a copy of the Italian import single of Pink Floyd's Point Me At The Sky, and I too, bought a lot of stuff via the mail order service.
Until recently, I've driven all the way there with a pile of cash and returned with a stack of vinyl, once or twice a year.
Sometimes I go and sit on Black Rock Sands for half an hour, too.
Class shop.

Well I never did..
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2021, 09:20:18 AM »

Takes me back.
 I used to buy lps from COB in my schooldays because they were cheaper and it saved going 'into town' for them.   I'm surprised they're still going.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2021, 11:07:28 AM »

Takes me back too. I have a friend in Abersoch  and used to park our van on his smallholding for a cheap holiday. Always tried to stop at Cob on the way home.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2021, 01:37:32 PM »

I'm delighted Cob Records is still going strong. I've picked up loads of great new (to me!) albums there over the years. Probably my most treasured one is an original cassette of Frogmorton's At Last, from1976.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2021, 01:47:25 PM »

I'm delighted Cob Records is still going strong. I've picked up loads of great new (to me!) albums there over the years. Probably my most treasured one is an original cassette of Frogmorton's At Last, from1976.

Like this one?

* R-8533708-1463519658-1037.jpeg.jpg (27.13 KB, 400x300 - viewed 107 times.)

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: