TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 19, 2021, 01:29:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Record Store Day 2021  (Read 4947 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« on: April 12, 2021, 04:01:41 PM »

Some people will know it's 2  'drops' this year, the first one in June. I'm starting a thread here for anyone who wants to talk about it- the releases are now listed online.

Might I suggest people who have no interest whatsoever in RSD 2021 or in the whole concept of RSD refrain from posting? Thankyou.

I'll start by saying the John Martyn release looks good.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 04:05:15 PM »

Here's the link to all the releases (warning: the link opens a PDF)

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/media/1724465/rsd-full-list-070421.

Fwiw, there's lots there I like but the only one I feel I really need is the Crass one (which is in such tiny numbers, I'll almost certainly struggle)  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 05:33:40 PM »

Hmm, 2CD reissue of Vienna (with an instrumental version of the album) looks interesting; as does the 6LP Dead set (hoping that'll eventually find its way out on CD/download though).

Said the straight man, to the late man...
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 05:39:45 PM »

Seek, and ye shall find:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Europe-72-Vol-11-LOlympia/dp/B00QMDDTNE/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=grateful+dead+paris&qid=1618245314&s=music&sr=1-2

Released some years ago, apparently!

Said the straight man, to the late man...
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 07:03:37 PM »

Not much there to tickle my fancy except maybe The Replacements and Tears For Fears. To be honest I preferred it last year when everything became pretty easily available online rather than face the bunfight that the day engenders at physical shops. I realise that does defeat the object somewhat.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 07:31:54 PM »

I want The Waterboys one.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 05:24:37 PM »

2 of Bert Jansch's later albums.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 03:42:09 PM »

I'm diggin' the cool Elton Psych cover, maaan.
Regimental Sgt.Zippo...tempting as a curiosity.

Well I never did..
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 08:57:12 AM »

Jules

New vocals and restored bass, apparently. For someone who is generally sceptical at best about floor-sweeping box sets, I’m quite excited about the idea of a ‘Room to Roam’ outtakes and orphans collection.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 09:17:36 AM »

I'm diggin' the cool Elton Psych cover, maaan.
Regimental Sgt.Zippo...tempting as a curiosity.

Yes, I wonder what the music's like???
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 11:42:45 AM »

New vocals and restored bass, apparently. For someone who is generally sceptical at best about floor-sweeping box sets, I’m quite excited about the idea of a ‘Room to Roam’ outtakes and orphans collection.

I've been privy to the research and song-selection process, and I can assure you that it will be an absolute gem of a set.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2021, 11:45:05 AM »

I've been privy to the research and song-selection process, and I can assure you that it will be an absolute gem of a set.

Jules

Is it RSD exclusive or will there be a wider release like the Fisherman's Blues set?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2021, 11:46:32 AM »

Jules

I'm not saying it's "better" per se but I always enjoyed Room to Roam much more than Fisherman's Blues...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2021, 11:46:59 AM »

Is it RSD exclusive or will there be a wider release like the Fisherman's Blues set?

The RSD release is an EP featuring a remix plus outtakes.  The full 6-CD boxed set will be on general release.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2021, 11:49:58 AM »

Jules

I'm not saying it's "better" per se but I always enjoyed Room to Roam much more than Fisherman's Blues...

I think there is something to that. It is a bit more crowd pleasing somehow without losing the "purity" of FB. FB is still probably the greater artistic achievement though.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2021, 11:57:03 AM »

My take on it is that Fisherman's Blues was a compromise.  It should have been either two separate albums or one double.  As it is, you get three years development shoehorned into one album.  Room to Roam on the other hand is a complete picture of a moment in time.  Fisherman's Blues reaches higher heights, but Room to Roam is more coherent, and more joyful.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2021, 11:58:12 AM »

My take on it is that Fisherman's Blues was a compromise.  It should have been either two separate albums or one double.  As it is, you get three years development shoehorned into one album.  Room to Roam on the other hand is a complete picture of moment in time.  Fisherman's Blues reaches higher heights, but Room to Roam is more coherent, and more joyful.

Jules

Spot on - I'll sign up to that viewpoint.  Incidentally, for no apparent reason I listened to Dream Harder the other day.  I surprised myself by really enjoying it.

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2021, 05:52:49 PM »

My take on it is that Fisherman's Blues was a compromise.  It should have been either two separate albums or one double.  As it is, you get three years development shoehorned into one album.  Room to Roam on the other hand is a complete picture of a moment in time.  Fisherman's Blues reaches higher heights, but Room to Roam is more coherent, and more joyful.

Jules

Seconds for this! 👍

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2021, 08:07:05 PM »

So what did people get??
 Huh Cool
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2021, 08:47:05 PM »

I managed to snag a copy of the Tears For Fears CD online after 6pm. There was really very little that interested me from today's offerings. I may try for the John Prine live album from the second drop in July but once again, nothing else tempts me.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: