TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:14:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2021  (Read 64449 times)
Sue & Chris

« on: March 07, 2021, 12:09:18 AM »

Gareth Williams features in an article in the Grauniad today. Looks like Cropredy 2021 is on a knife edge...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/culture/2021/mar/06/fans-and-artists-must-have-covid-vaccine-before-attending-music-festivals-say-organisers
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 07:07:25 AM »

Cropredy – article in The Guardian
This weekend’s Guardian online carries an article about issues affecting this year’s music festivals.  As Cropredy’s Festival Director I was interviewed by the journalist who wrote the piece. The interview followed a Zoom meeting I’d just had with fellow members of Association of Independent Festivals (AIF).
It appears from the article that wires got crossed so I’m writing to clarify the situation.
Firstly, no one (as far as I know) is suggesting the Government makes proof of vaccination a condition of entry to music festivals. I am fully aware that doing so would exclude the many ticket holders who will not have been vaccinated. That would include young festival-goers and that is the last thing we want to see.
We certainly have no intention of pressing the Government to “say everybody needs a vaccination to get in”  and I am disappointed that the article seems to state otherwise.
We are discussing a wide variety of measures to make opening up the festival season possible. We will all continue to work closely with the responsible authorities to make this a reality.
In his recent ‘Roadmap’ speech, the Prime Minister announced an Event Research Programme which will run a series of indoor and outdoor test events during the spring. These tests will ascertain exactly what will be required to run a safe event. The results of this analysis will likely form the basis of the PM’s June announcement about large outdoor events and what will be required.
We are extremely grateful for the CRF Grant that we received last October and hope our application for the second round is successful. The Guardian article used the phrase “lobbying for financial cover” when in fact we are “lobbying for insurance cover”.
The AIF are lobbying on behalf of all festivals for help with the underwriting of our Cancellation Insurance. Each year, festivals take out this insurance as a precaution against adverse weather conditions etc. However, insurance companies are understandably unwilling to underwrite Covid and that is where we need the Government to step in and help the industry. We remain hopeful of a positive outcome.
To sum up. We have not – and will not – be pressing the Government “. . .to say everybody needs a vaccination to get in. We need that clarity, rather than each having to go to people and explain.” That simply makes no sense as it would exclude many of our festival-goers. Cropredy is a family friendly festival for all ages and will remain so.
There will undoubtedly still be some form of mitigation regarding Covid-19 at the festival in August but precisely what will depend on the data from the Government’s test events. Once this data has been analysed, we will have a clearer picture of what will be required.
I hope this clears up any confusion arising from the article.
Gareth Williams

Well I never did..
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 09:53:01 PM »

Gareth Williams is the voice of equanimity and resolve that I wish Bill Gates had inserted into a microchip in the vaccine so that I might have some measure of it.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 12:07:48 PM »

With today's announcement from Bridge Meadow. That's us done I'm afraid.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 12:44:52 PM »

I saw that on fb, Nick, and immediately thought of you.  Sad

Flobbadob!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 01:16:40 PM »

Why me?  Grin There will a lot of others who feel the same.

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 01:25:31 PM »

This year will show the full effect as I can foresee numbers being strictly limited but once you get out of the habit who knows. It is very difficult for us to come on Thursday morning as the Stewards refuse to listen to you. Our van is quite large and does not like anything but the flattest and driest of sufaces. If it slopes the fridge does not work and if it is wet and slopes we get stuck . Wet and boggy its all over. Cant tent because of back problems. Without a guaranteed pitch and early arrival we cant do it I'm afraid.

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 01:52:39 PM »

I haven’t heard about that... what happened?

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 02:24:50 PM »

Limited numbers for Festival weekend and already fully booked.
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 04:34:51 PM »

Just cos I knew you pitch in Bridge Meadow... entrance was the rendezvous point for the Trotawhile runners!

Flobbadob!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 04:48:21 PM »

Just cos I knew you pitch in Bridge Meadow... entrance was the rendezvous point for the Trotawhile runners!
Grin I've decided to look on the bright side, I won't have to listen to Steve Hackett!!

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 05:18:50 PM »

Limited numbers for Festival weekend and already fully booked.

Five camper vans and ten tents! Given the space, that's ridiculous.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 11:06:00 PM »

Grin I've decided to look on the bright side, I won't have to listen to Steve Hackett!!

So everybody wins.....

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 10:59:47 AM »

I messaged Gareth in the light of the Bridge Meadow cancellations to request that field 7 opens on the Wednesday. This for those who cant join the lottery on a Thursday for reasons of distance travelled or situations like Nick's.

Please let him know if you are also in this boat!!!

The infrastructure required would be minimal and easily covered by the extra fee.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2021, 11:01:28 AM »

I messaged Gareth in the light of the Bridge Meadow cancellations to request that field 7 opens on the Wednesday. This for those who cant join the lottery on a Thursday for reasons of distance travelled or situations like Nick's.

Please let him know if you are also in this boat!!!

The infrastructure required would be minimal and easily covered by the extra fee.

The only problem with that is that most people would now arrive on Wednesday!!

StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2021, 11:42:23 AM »

Opening part of F7 on Weds was a  godsend for me the last time. As someone who has to travel through the night to get there for any decent time  on Thursday and have no wriggle time for contingencies, landing on Weds night has become my preferred option. F8 was great till it became oversubscribed, hippified and privatised.
So yes, add my voice to the "Field 7 is Heaven, especially on a Wednesday " campaign.

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2021, 12:40:00 PM »

We've had a long chat about Cropredy and decided that there is absolutely no point in getting the vaccine unless we get back into Society and do normal things, allbeit in a modified way. So we're definitely going  Cheesy Cheesy

We're happy to take responsibility for our own safety (as regards Covid) so we're taking masks, disposable gloves, anti bac gel and spray to use if we feel it's necessary. No hugging or hand shaking tho....

We're glamping so we'll use the facilites there where possible and just be sensible the rest of the time. It's going to be different but we'd rather be a bit cautious and be there, than not be there are all. Yes it's going to be different but I reckon by 2022 it'll be more or less back to normal. So let's see how it goes this year.

Good luck with getting field 7 open a day early, policing it will be the issue but many people don't like field 7 so if they know that's the only option if you go on the Wednesday then maybe they won't turn up then?

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2021, 01:55:52 PM »

My ticket is Saturday only - hopefully there'll still be room on F7...

Flobbadob!
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2021, 11:51:21 AM »

Hoorah! I have been gifted a Saturday-only ticket, and so will be making my way from the bar to the front of the stage in order to hear my favourite FC elbun all the way through, before - in all probability - sobbing slightly and falling asleep under a gazebo. I foresee no issues with social distancing, especially behind the sound tower - I mean, have you seen the size of some of those picnic blankets?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2021, 07:22:25 PM »

Hoorah! I have been gifted a Saturday-only ticket, and so will be making my way from the bar to the front of the stage in order to hear my favourite FC elbun all the way through, before - in all probability - sobbing slightly and falling asleep under a gazebo. I foresee no issues with social distancing, especially behind the sound tower - I mean, have you seen the size of some of those picnic blankets?

This cheers me greatly! 😁

Happy mainly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: