TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 18, 2021, 12:12:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2021 cancellations and confirmations  (Read 6865 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2021, 11:25:01 AM »

On the whole I agree

....BUT....

Is there not a danger of scientists in the Virology and imunisation fields prolonging restrictive measures that are designed to perpetuate their employment, and latent status as public heroes, rather than protect the Public. I heard one on Radio yesterday state that the human race must wear masks and socially distance for ever. Too much of Too much.

It's a fine balancing act. I'm eternally grateful I'm not the one making the decisions as it's impossible to please everyone and nobody can predict the future.

The UK death toll tells you how badly this 'balancing act' has been mismanaged.  The undoubted success of the vaccination programme (due to everything but the initial drug supply being managed locally) can and must not be allowed to mask this.  The latest political polling data (Boris with a 13 point lead) suggests, of course, that it will.  I despair.

Yes, I fear Boris will get the credit for the vaccination programme (which he and his crew had little to do with) and the Track & Trace debacle will be forgotten...

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2021, 12:41:49 PM »

To get this topic off politics & back on track, how do you all see Cropredy working with seating on the field? Will people just revert to the behaviour of previous years, or will there be restrictions? If so, should FC advise these now so people can decide if they still want to go?

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2021, 12:58:20 PM »

To get this topic off politics & back on track, how do you all see Cropredy working with seating on the field? Will people just revert to the behaviour of previous years, or will there be restrictions? If so, should FC advise these now so people can decide if they still want to go?

We are still undecided, even though we havent missed one for 30 years, and need some clarity. We dont have tickets as the line up is pretty poor in our opinion and would only go for the general experience so that has to be right. We will do New Forest , Beardy and probably Shrewsbury and GBFF all being well.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2021, 03:37:05 PM »

We are still undecided, even though we havent missed one for 30 years, and need some clarity. We dont have tickets as the line up is pretty poor in our opinion and would only go for the general experience so that has to be right. We will do New Forest , Beardy and probably Shrewsbury and GBFF all being well.
How do you think those smaller festivals will deal with it? It'll be the same for all of them, even the smaller ones as their venues are smaller. There's still the issue of queues, using the loos, sitting in close proximity (even outside), standing around the bar areas, indoor concerts. We've decided we're definitely doing Cropredy as we're glamping and we love the line-up Smiley but these things are still a concern. We'll deal with them - somehow (no hugging!!) - but I'm interested how the organisers see it all happening and what restrictions, if any, they envisage there being. I hate uncertainty...  Undecided

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2021, 03:42:43 PM »

How do you think those smaller festivals will deal with it? It'll be the same for all of them, even the smaller ones as their venues are smaller.  

I've been to Micro festivals (200-500 attendees) where the population density is a tiny fraction of that at places like Cropredy, let alone the big boys and girls.  One I know has a toilet for every 10 attendees and you can sit about 6 feet apart from anybody and be right in the thick of the action.  Then again, they're taking another year off this year as the budget is so tight and they can't afford to risk it.  Swings and roundabouts...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2021, 04:15:25 PM »

How do you think those smaller festivals will deal with it? It'll be the same for all of them, even the smaller ones as their venues are smaller. There's still the issue of queues, using the loos, sitting in close proximity (even outside), standing around the bar areas, indoor concerts. We've decided we're definitely doing Cropredy as we're glamping and we love the line-up Smiley but these things are still a concern. We'll deal with them - somehow (no hugging!!) - but I'm interested how the organisers see it all happening and what restrictions, if any, they envisage there being. I hate uncertainty...  Undecided

Beardy actually went ahead in 2020 although we didnt go . I think they had marked pitches in the concert field having moved it outside the walled garden. Shrewsbury i am less sure about .

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2021, 12:03:42 AM »

I listened to a recent radio interview with Ed Toth, current drummer for the Doobie Brothers. He noted that they have a previously postponed 50th anniversary tour already booked, set to begin in July 2021. He says he doesn't know for sure, but he's hearing talk that it will be pushed back to 2022.  Sad
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2021, 09:35:52 AM »

I see Cropredy isn't listed as one that's going ahead  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56251016 not that it means anything of course, it just amazes me that Cropredy doesn't get more press on the BBC, bearing in the mind its size and the coverage on BBC Oxford.

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2021, 11:21:09 AM »

I see Cropredy isn't listed as one that's going ahead  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56251016 not that it means anything of course, it just amazes me that Cropredy doesn't get more press on the BBC, bearing in the mind its size and the coverage on BBC Oxford.

Same for Beautiful Days, which put tickets back on sale last week. They didn't mention Cambridge or Sidmouth either. Must've been the BBC's "Indie Correspondent"...  Wink

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2021, 11:41:41 AM »

No surprise the BBC failing in all it does.

No mention of Beardy , New Forest or Cropredy in their coverage because they don't care about our type of music.

If you want to see how London centric they are look at their Welsh football page, stories about  Tottenham, the English teams Cardiff and Swansea. Last night two of the top three Welsh clubs met in a crucial league match. No coverage at all.

The BBC is definably not the British Broadcaster it should be.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2021, 12:03:45 PM »

No mention of Beardy , New Forest or Cropredy in their coverage because they don't care about our type of music.

If you want to see how London centric they are look at their Welsh football page, stories about  Tottenham, the English teams Cardiff and Swansea. Last night two of the top three Welsh clubs met in a crucial league match. No coverage at all.

Agreed. Don't even start me on the rugby.....

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2021, 12:28:42 PM »

It's not a failure on the part of the BBC by any means. There are hundreds of festivals that usually go on each year. In their article BBC gave a status update on 36 of those which is a significant chunk, though I don't see any claim that their list is exhaustive. It's not in their remit to cover absolutely every event that may or may not happen.

Even a dedicated festival website such as Efestivals paints an incomplete picture of the situation right now (https://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/coronavirus2020.shtml\) Useful information but by no means complete.

As for the festivals I mentioned:
* Beautiful Days (who have always shunned publicity and have never advertised nor sought a mention from any media outlet) are selling tickets right now
* Cambridge's website says "2021 tickets on sale soon" (which is not really helpful news per-se)

Edit: But see below

* Sidmouth are asking website visitors to complete a survey to help them decide what to do this year (which again is no indication of any actual news)

As for Beardy, New Forest, and my favourite, Wood: these are all small and independent events and I would be surprised if they ever register in any national media.

As for football, I never see my local side on TV so that's clearly a bias and a failing... How dare they not cover my team?! They don't care about us...!  Wink  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 04:40:04 PM by Andy » Logged

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2021, 12:49:54 PM »

^^^ This. 👏👏👏

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2021, 01:24:35 PM »

Agreed. Don't even start me on the rugby.....

Please dont

Sue & Chris

« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2021, 11:32:20 PM »

Maybe its now been updated, because Cropredy is now listed (as 'hopeful').
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2021, 09:52:24 AM »

There are only a couple of ads for festivals in the latest RnR magazine namely Gate to Southwell in September and Ely Folk Fest in July.

In their News section it says that Chippenham and Chester are combining to present a single online festival on the 28th to 31st of May.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2021, 04:38:19 PM »

Camebridge postponed until 2022.

We are sorry to share the news this summer’s Festival will not be going ahead. Despite the government roadmap out of lockdown, there is still a lot of uncertainty for festivals and whether they can safely take place. Questions over everything from whether artists will be able to travel internationally to whether we would need to enforce social distancing and masks-wearing for everyone on site. It’s a lot to plan for without knowing for sure whether the event will even be allowed to happen.

We’ve held out hope until the last possible moment, but summer is fast approaching and we can’t hold off a decision any longer. So, with regret, we are setting our sights on 2022.

If you are a ticket holder, you should have already received an email notifying you of your options for a full refund. If you did not receive the email, please reach us on tickets@cambridgelive.org.uk. If we don’t hear from you, your booking will be rolled forward to 2022 at 2020 prices by default.

Thanks to all our fans for the patience and loyalty they have shown as we try to figure out how to plan for this summer. Your support means everything to us and we look forward to seeing you in 2022.

And if the cloud bursts thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2021, 04:15:01 PM »

Bluedot not taking place in 2021...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: