TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
January 20, 2021, 08:12:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Autographs  (Read 1468 times)
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2021, 08:37:11 AM »

I used to be a big collector of autographs when I was younger. My faves were probably Laurence Olivier and Kate Bush, along with signed photos I took myself then got signed by Jack Nicklaus and Seve Ballesteros and, of course Bill Shankly
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2021, 08:44:57 AM »

I used to be a big collector of autographs when I was younger. My faves were probably Laurence Olivier and Kate Bush, along with signed photos I took myself then got signed by Jack Nicklaus and Seve Ballesteros and, of course Bill Shankly

Where did you meet Kate?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2021, 09:21:52 AM »

As I keen young off-spinner, I used to write to cricketers. Ted Dexter wrote me a very encouraging three page letter, Geoff Boycott signed a photo and Bob Taylor returned his in very timely fashion, as I recall. I think there might be a Cowdrey (snr) in there too, and possibly a stripling Gower.

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2021, 09:50:02 AM »

Where did you meet Kate?

Unfortunately, I didn't. Someone I knew had a contact in her team and got me a signed photo 'To Peter etc'.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2021, 10:57:36 PM »

Here it is

* Kate.jpg (256.24 KB, 1584x2001 - viewed 173 times.)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2021, 12:34:36 AM »

Here's my favorite from my small autograph collection. Pete Townshend, photographed in New York during the 1982 "Farewell Tour." The photographer sent me this print as a gift. Circa 1988, I mailed it to Pete's office and it found its way back to me, autographed, a few months later. It has hung on my wall ever since.

* Pete.jpg (74.5 KB, 640x480 - viewed 169 times.)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2021, 07:28:38 AM »

Here's my favorite from my small autograph collection. Pete Townshend, photographed in New York during the 1982 "Farewell Tour." The photographer sent me this print as a gift. Circa 1988, I mailed it to Pete's office and it found its way back to me, autographed, a few months later. It has hung on my wall ever since.

He looks remarkably healthy in that one (it's not one I've seen before) despite everything he was doing at the time...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2021, 09:56:55 AM »

He looks remarkably healthy in that one (it's not one I've seen before) despite everything he was doing at the time...

That's the health-giving properties of heroin for you!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2021, 09:59:23 AM »

That's the health-giving properties of heroin for you!

Jules

Indeed.  The eyes are a giveaway though...

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2021, 04:34:59 PM »

The eyes are a giveaway though...

They are?  How so?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2021, 05:20:50 PM »

The eyes are a giveaway though...

They are?  How so?

Jules

Spend a few years in homeless hostels working with addicts of differing shapes and sizes, Jules...you get to know what different drugs do to people's eyes.

PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2021, 05:22:37 PM »

Townshend channelling '50s Spike Milligan, I'd say...

Said the straight man, to the late man...
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2021, 05:25:22 PM »

I don't think this photo was ever published. Other photos from the same shoot and from one or both of the Shea Stadium shows, by the same photographer, accompanied stories published in the L.A. or N.Y. Times in 1982. My source was a prominent rock photographer of the era.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: