TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:25:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Syd Barrett  (Read 8051 times)
JohnP69

« on: July 07, 2016, 07:20:56 PM »

Amazingly it's 10 years ago today that the great man passed on.

Will be playing "The Madcap Laughs" tonight in tribute.

It's also today that the Royal Mail have released their set of Pink Floyd stamps.

Coincidence?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 07:50:08 PM »

Well remembered John.  Amazing how time flies.  A major talent.  A major loss.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 10:48:32 PM »

Blimey, is it really.

(Sorry I had to do a double take when I saw Syd in the 'active' forum)

it'll be fine.......
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 08:13:25 AM »

Then that it means it's 10 years since my good friend Gill died.

She would have got on well with Syd

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 09:36:14 AM »

It's also today that the Royal Mail have released their set of Pink Floyd stamps.

I got my First Day Covers yesterday - very nice they are too.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 09:42:21 AM »

A celebration of the life and music of Syd Barrett, son of Cambridge. Featuring international guests Men on the Border with the Sandviken Symphony Orchestra and lights by Peter Wynne-Willson.

Cambridge Live, the charity that runs the Cambridge Corn Exchange, is unveiling a memorial at the Cambridge Corn Exchange on Thursday 27 October to Pink Floyd’s Syd Barrett, who was born and spent most of his life in Cambridge and who played his last ever live concerts at the venue in 1972. To mark the occasion an evening concert is being staged at the Corn Exchange featuring Swedish band Men on the Border, who reinterpret the music of Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd, backed by the Sandviken Symphony Orchestra, also from Sweden.

The concert will feature symphonic interpretations of Barrett classics from his solo albums The Madcap Laughs and Barrett including the likes of Octopus and Terrapin with the repertoire flanked by an interpretation of Floyd’s High Hopes. The concert will include lighting from Peter Wynne Willson who worked with Pink Floyd between 1966 and 1968 when he created light shows for their performances at UFO and the Roundhouse and went on to design the lighting for the band’s UK, European and American gigs and tours as well as having worked with Roger Waters, Radiohead and U2.

https://www.cambridgelivetrust.co.uk/cornex/events/syd-barrett-celebration-concert

MauriceN

Loc: Kent

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 04:07:07 PM »

Like the look of this but on a Thursday?

I may not know much about art but I know what I like
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 04:34:51 PM »

Date specific I believe - his birthday or the date of his last gig there?

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 03:26:24 PM »

Amazingly it's 10 years ago today that the great man passed on.

Will be playing "The Madcap Laughs" tonight in tribute.

Coincidence?

I remember mentioning this to someone on the day the news broke, and he didn't know who Syd Barrett was. Age gap thing, partly, or maybe just not everyone is a s absorbed by music as I am.

Btw I can hardly believe it was 10 years ago. Seems really recent.
MauriceN

Loc: Kent

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 04:19:40 PM »

If I can swing it with work,I think I'll be going.

I may not know much about art but I know what I like
joker1961
ANONYMOUS MEMBER

Loc: Roundabout Town

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 05:56:31 AM »

Syd Barrett sad loss to the music world......R.I.P

Peace, Friendship, Understanding and Music...
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2023, 11:37:40 AM »

Great bit of writing on Syd from Robyn Hitchcock on FB:

Syd Barrett: The Vanishing
Thoughts on his 77th birthday…
If Bob Dylan is the most scrutinized musician of our times, Syd Barrett must be one of the most pursued. Almost as soon as he’d slipped off the radar, in the dismal wasteland of February 1972, the dogs were in pursuit.
I was one of those dogs. You only had to listen to “The Face of Death” on the first Soft Boys EP to see how completely I’d marinaded myself in Syd Barrett. The song was not, as some assumed, about Syd himself, but another local character who haunted the streets of Cambridge with an expression of terminal hopelessness on a face which looked like it was upside down. The poor guy lived alone in a room full of milk bottles and apparently injected himself with insulin for his diabetes. Rumours travel fast in those small, cold byways. He walked  slowly, as if he’d been punched in the stomach, and he wore a leather jacket; I *think* his name was Arthur.
A few years previously, I even tried to call on Barrett himself, at his old family home on Hills Road. Thankfully he was out. But he was also no longer called Syd, it appeared. I stood on the doorstep pink with embarrassment, my stomach tight with dread - terrified of actually meeting this man who was rapidly becoming What I Wanted To Be - but the compulsion to see him was stronger than my anxieties. I rang the doorbell of the ample, suburban house and eventually a young student lodger answered. I explained my mission and she didn’t seem surprised:
“Oh, right - just a minute: Mrs B” she called up the stairs, “is Roger in?”
Who, I wondered, was Roger? I was about to explain that actually I was looking for Syd, when a calm lady with a faintly lizard-like aura and a print dress padded down the stairs towards me. She didn’t seem surprised to see me, either - pilgrims were already flocking to that door, I guessed. This dame with iron-grey hair, looking like an aunt of my own mother, this must be Mrs Barrett…
“Ah, no, you’ve missed him, I’m afraid - he’s in London now. Was there anything you wanted to see Roger about?”
“Oh, er, I - no, I mean.” I was flustered and breathing fast: pleased that I’d summoned the nerve to intrude on them (hardcore fan that I was) but somewhat relieved that the object of my quest was not actually there: “I - er - he’s in London?”
“Yes.”
“Is he… um… is he making a record?”
“We-ll”, said Mrs B, looking up at me with her head tipped slightly to one side, “I believe he’s by way of making a record, yes…”
Enough was more than enough, and I fled. It turned out that Syd’s real name was Roger, and had been all along.
The more I looked for news of Barrett, the less there was. Rumours had already made their way out of that house, of Syd (or Roger?) living in the cellar of his childhood home, playing Pink Floyd records at the wrong speed and laughing hysterically. But he’d also been seeing playing local jam sessions. He’d been seen eating chocolate cake. He’d been seen but he was gone.
As the 1970s wore on, it became more and more apparent that Syd Barrett really was no more. When he made his famous visit to his old band at Abbey Road studios just as they were finishing their tribute to him “Shine On, You Crazy Diamond” nobody even recognized him for a while. Syd had been a lean, handsome and saturnine figure: Roger was fat, bald and had no eyebrows. Did he drop by that day just to make that point: that his old self was over?
He was no longer by way of making a record. Several attempts were made to lure him back into the recording studio, but when the tapes finally surfaced they turned out to be uninspired 12-bar noodlings: not even chaotic, just boring. Barrett clearly had no more songs in him. Nonetheless he continued to buy guitars until his royalties ran out. Part of him obviously wanted to believe he was still in the game, just as we, his fans, did.
Syd the musician was the flower that briefly blossomed on the cactus that was Roger, his host body. Minus Syd, that host body reverted to what he had been before, an art student. Roger returned to his mother’s house in Cambridge and spent the last 30 years or so of his life painting pictures. And then, apparently, burning them.
I, meanwhile, had done my best to re-activate my vanished hero in my own Cambridge art-rock combo, the Soft Boys. Of course, you can only be Art-Rock posthumously - à la Velvet Underground or Roxy Music: during our career nobody knew how to categorize The Soft Boys - us included - so we were effectively unmarketable, and the music business soon gave up on us. We didn’t exactly help them sell us. One of our few definite markers was that I sounded very like Syd Barrett. We even recorded “Vegetable Man”, one of his rare unreleased songs. This magnetized the Barrett ghouls - and I’d long been one of those.
I may well have identity issues. Who are any of us if we examine ourselves from close up enough? Take somebody who no longer wants to exist (Barrett), and then add somebody who would rather be someone else (me) and…you get the picture. All I know is that if I like a kind of music I try to echo it, as closely as I can. Whether I absorb my influences or simply continue to echo them isn’t really for me to say. I write and play the music that I want to hear. Sometimes I do feel like the creature in the John Carpenter movie The Thing: that I’m just an amalgam of everything I’ve absorbed. Someone described me once as the Peter Sellers of rock: I’ve had worse compliments…
Roger Barrett, whoever he was, became a blank canvas onto which his admirers could project their fantasies. It became more about them, and less about him. He continued to live on a suburban backstreet, looking as nondescript as possible. His address had long ago been trumpeted on the Barrett grapevine, some of whom persisted in staking him out on his way to the shops or cycling around town. They were still looking for Syd, or traces of him. I’ve seen footage of what might or might not be Roger Barrett, in a string vest on a cloudy afternoon. I was based in Cambridge till the early 1980s and may have passed him a dozen times in the town centre - I would never have known.
In the end, it’s the gap between who you are and who your admirers want you to be. You encourage them to think you’re something you’re not because - oh, boy: wouldn’t it be fabulous if you really were it? And in reality you’re just a lump of aging flesh shuffling along on a dreary avenue. One psychotic Beatles fan chose to rob the world of John Lennon because he felt that John was no longer whom that fan had imagined him to be. So it goes.
As an artist, I know that the best part of me is my art. I’m truly grateful for the music Syd left us, and I’m truly grateful that I never ran into Roger.
RH, January 6 2023

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: