TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
January 20, 2021, 08:28:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saucerful of Secrets DVD  (Read 354 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« on: November 22, 2020, 04:13:02 PM »

My gob has officially been smacked....my journey to Chester and back this weekend was accompanied by the Saucerful of Secrets live album (which i mainly bought a) because I got in early and got a signed poster and b) was going to see them in Guildford with some old 6th form chums).  For whatever reason, I've not properly listened until now.

It is utterly brilliant.  Most of that material has never been played live better (certainly by the Floyd), and it really works as a cohesive body of work.

I do hope I get the chance (Covid/prostate/life) of actually seeing them live.  I was punching the air just listening to them in the car...

Edit: This post was originally in the Listening To thread, but it spawned a life of its own that is worth moving to a new topic.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 05:09:59 PM »

It is utterly brilliant.  Most of that material has never been played live better (certainly by the Floyd), and it really works as a cohesive body of work.

I like that they're doing it, but I'm not completely won over.  I don't like the singing, for starters.  And I find some of the arrangements a bit sterile and workmanlike.  It sounds like a competent pub rock band to me.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 05:22:52 PM »

I like that they're doing it, but I'm not completely won over.  I don't like the singing, for starters.  And I find some of the arrangements a bit sterile and workmanlike.  It sounds like a competent pub rock band to me.

Jules

I love the singing.  There's nowt wrong with competent pub rock, but this doesn't sound like that to these ears.  It does, however, sound like a modern band though.  That (high production values, new technology, a fresh approach) is exactly why I like it.  And Mason is such a great drummer...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 08:08:42 PM »

Jules

I love the singing.  There's nowt wrong with competent pub rock, but this doesn't sound like that to these ears.  It does, however, sound like a modern band though.  That (high production values, new technology, a fresh approach) is exactly why I like it.  And Mason is such a great drummer...

Is there a version of this with just the music? I don't need the video and am unlikely to watch it more than once but would like the album.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 08:22:00 PM »

Is there a version of this with just the music? I don't need the video and am unlikely to watch it more than once but would like the album.

Don't think there is a version of the CDs without the DVD

MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 10:00:16 PM »

Don't think there is a version of the CDs without the DVD

Its available as a down load and CD

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 09:07:58 AM »

Jules

I got the download for that very reason. £7.99 from Amazon.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 12:26:42 PM »

Why are people going out of their way to avoid having the DVD?  Seems a bit perverse.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 02:31:26 PM »

Why are people going out of their way to avoid having the DVD?  Seems a bit perverse.

Jules

Not going out of my way to avoid it as such.  But £7.99 for the download, and £20.79 for the discs, including a DVD I may never watch, or only once.  Simple economics.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 02:41:19 PM »

Jules

Not going out of my way to avoid it as such.  But £7.99 for the download, and £20.79 for the discs, including a DVD I may never watch, or only once.  Simple economics.

Bridget is watching it for all of us...  Wink Grin

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 03:54:29 PM »

Jules

I'm not interested in this release, but I do tent to avoid releases including DVDs because I have nothing to play them on and would rather not think about them.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 07:12:52 PM »

Jules

I wouldn't mind seeing it but won't watch it repeatedly so the extra cost it adds to the package is a waste of money for me. I would just like the music.

Perversely however I have been listening to Kate Bush's Before The Dawn today and really wish that came with a DVD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: