TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 01, 2020, 12:37:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crosby and/or Stills and/or Nash and/or Young  (Read 762 times)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« on: October 20, 2020, 11:18:52 AM »

Giving David Crosby Graham Nash a listen. Or is it Graham Nash David Crosby? Nash's Blacknotes has to be one of the most irritating songs he's ever written.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 11:24:48 AM »

Giving David Crosby Graham Nash a listen. Or is it Graham Nash David Crosby? Nash's Blacknotes has to be one of the most irritating songs he's ever written.

It's mercifully short though.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 11:46:49 AM »

Wildflowers & All The Rest - Tom Petty. A really fine expanded boxed set of Tom's best solo album (best album period?). Couldn't afford the 5 disc version though.  Sad

Also

Licht - Nena. Nena is now 60 and has just put out a really strong album, one of the best of her long career. Certainly her best album for more than a decade. Effortlessly tuneful and modern sounding without succumbing to modishness or trendiness. This will become a favourite.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Eardisley, Herefordshire

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 12:00:38 PM »

Jules

There's several to choose from, although I'll admit I've warmed to both him and his music as I've got older.  Be careful of Innocent Eyes, surely one of the worst albums ever made.  To think I bought that and Neil's Landing on Water on the same day.  Both monstrosities!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 12:08:24 PM »

Jules

There's several to choose from, although I'll admit I've warmed to both him and his music as I've got older.  Be careful of Innocent Eyes, surely one of the worst albums ever made.  To think I bought that and Neil's Landing on Water on the same day.  Both monstrosities!

I still love Landing On Water.  Grin I'll take it over Trans and Ev'rybody's Rockin any day
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 12:08:37 PM »

I've found a C&N compilation called Homeward Through The Haze on Spotify that came out last year. Looks like one of these record company releases where the artists probably had little to do with it.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 12:14:15 PM »

I've found a C&N compilation called Homeward Through The Haze on Spotify that came out last year. Looks like one of these record company releases where the artists probably had little to do with it.

It is a repackaging of Wind On The Water under a different name. This has happened loads of times with that album since the label, abc went bust. Not sure who subsequently owns the rights but it is constantly relicensed in a bid to catch people out who already have it. Bit like some of the Woodworm era Fairport albums.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 12:23:24 PM »

It is a repackaging of Wind On The Water under a different name. This has happened loads of times with that album since the label, abc went bust. Not sure who subsequently owns the rights but it is constantly relicensed in a bid to catch people out who already have it. Bit like some of the Woodworm era Fairport albums.

So it is. That's the one C&N studio album I don't have a copy of.

I see there's a compilation album Crosby & Nash Highlights which is "a shortened version of 2004's Crosby & Nash". What exactly is the point of that?  Roll Eyes

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 12:37:05 PM »

I still love Landing On Water.  Grin I'll take it over Trans and Ev'rybody's Rockin any day

Are you sure you want to be as forthright as saying you "love" it?  How about "can put up with it on certain days"?

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 12:38:25 PM »

So it is. That's the one C&N studio album I don't have a copy of.

I see there's a compilation album Crosby & Nash Highlights which is "a shortened version of 2004's Crosby & Nash". What exactly is the point of that?  Roll Eyes

It is my favourite from the CSN stable after the debut and Deja Vu (excluding the solo albums)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 12:39:49 PM »

Are you sure you want to be as forthright as saying you "love" it?  How about "can put up with it on certain days"?

Jules

Nope, I will stand by my original statement. I love it. I know nobody else does. I don't care.  Grin
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 12:44:43 PM »

Nope, I will stand by my original statement. I love it. I know nobody else does. I don't care.  Grin

Oh, you're not alone.  I used to be on a Neil Young mailing list called The Rust List.  There was a band of nutters who called themselves the RFLOW army (Rusties For Landing On Water).  It always amused me.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 12:48:42 PM »

Oh, you're not alone.  I used to be on a Neil Young mailing list called The Rust List.  There was a band of nutters who called themselves the RFLOW army (Rusties For Landing On Water).  It always amused me.

Jules

Hilarious - I think it's by far the worst album in his career (until the 21st century anyway).  Fwiw, I think  Trans is a brilliant album, and I'll strike the man that disagree...and Everybody's Rockin' is perfectly harmless Wink Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 01:14:54 PM »

Jules

Hilarious - I think it's by far the worst album in his career (until the 21st century anyway).  Fwiw, I think  Trans is a brilliant album, and I'll strike the man that disagree...and Everybody's Rockin' is perfectly harmless Wink Grin

Fortunately we are sufficiently geographically distant for my safety then. I like the first track and the last track. Ev'rybody's Rockin is sh1t and yes, the current century has brought forth a number of albums that I haven't even bothered with and a few I have but wish I hadn't.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 01:52:19 PM »

Crosby's Thousand Roads which I did buy and then gave away. Having listened to it on Spotify just now I think I made the right call. Not one I'd rush to listen to again.

Now listening to the CSN 77 album.

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 01:55:32 PM »

I'll be the gentle, soothing balm between the two factions on this debate - I think Landing on Water, Ev'rybody's Rockin', and most of his latter day output are all utter pants. I'm still sitting on the fence with Trans - which is painful for everyone concerned.   Grin

I would like to qualify my opinion on Landing on Water by saying that Violent Side was a good song though.  And so was Touch the Night when Crazy Horse played it in 1984 - it was a sort of 'son of Like a Hurricane' back then.  It was, however, butchered in the studio.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 02:12:51 PM »

I'll be the gentle, soothing balm between the two factions on this debate - I think Landing on Water, Ev'rybody's Rockin', and most of his latter day output are all utter pants. I'm still sitting on the fence with Trans - which is painful for everyone concerned.   Grin

I would like to qualify my opinion on Landing on Water by saying that Violent Side was a good song though.  And so was Touch the Night when Crazy Horse played it in 1984 - it was a sort of 'son of Like a Hurricane' back then.  It was, however, butchered in the studio.

Jules

What are we defining as latter day here? From 2000 - 2010 there are several albums I like, if not love; Silver & Gold, Are You Passionate?, Prairie Wind, Chrome Dreams II. Greendale & Living With War have moments. Fork In The Road is fun if not deep. After that Psychedelic Pill and Storytone are the only ones I can really justify as albums. I know you are not fond of the writing on the latter and my preference is for the acoustic disc which I think is mostly rather lovely.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 02:16:37 PM »

What are we defining as latter day here? From 2000 - 2010 there are several albums I like, if not love; Silver & Gold, Are You Passionate?, Prairie Wind, Chrome Dreams II. Greendale & Living With War have moments. Fork In The Road is fun if not deep. After that Psychedelic Pill and Storytone are the only ones I can really justify as albums. I know you are not fond of the writing on the latter and my preference is for the acoustic disc which I think is mostly rather lovely.

I can't even remember half of them.  I adore Silver & Gold.  I thought Are You Passionate?, Chrome Dreams II, and Psychedelic Pill all flirted with being good, yet were still patchy.  The rest I either found dull, or clunky, or I haven't even bothered hearing.

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2020, 02:26:13 PM »

Now that this chunk of thread has been moved and given its own corner, might I suggest a name change?  I'm not sure that "Crosby Nash" quite fits the bill.

How about: "Crosby, Nash, Young & possibly Stills"?

Grin

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 02:46:54 PM »

I can't even remember half of them

This.  Says it all.  I've tried to convince myself to like so many of the Neil albums of the 21st century, but it literally isn't worth the effort....

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: