TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
November 27, 2021, 06:03:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top Album of All Time  (Read 18309 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2020, 09:23:23 PM »

Liege and Lief? We are supposed to be fans of Fairport on here.  Smiley

My favourite Fairport LP.  We haven't done 1969 yet!   Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2020, 07:14:08 AM »

Jules

I've been waiting for this.  We've been here before but it's 3rd or 4th favourite for me (and only the first 5 are eligible for selection. Obviously)  Wink Smiley  

Generally accepted as most influential, yes, but....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2020, 09:34:29 AM »

Jules

I've been waiting for this.  We've been here before but it's 3rd or 4th favourite for me (and only the first 5 are eligible for selection. Obviously)  Wink Smiley  

Generally accepted as most influential, yes, but....

It's no good. I've run that poll all sorts of ways here. I've tried loading the dice to give other albums a look in. I agree, not their best but it always comes out on top.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2020, 10:38:28 AM »

Fairport !?  I refer you to my post on page 1  Smiley... although I did say Unhalfbricking (which is also Joe Boyd's favourite) rather than L & L.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2020, 10:47:38 AM »

Fairport !?  I refer you to my post on page 1  Smiley... although I did say Unhalfbricking (which is also Joe Boyd's favourite) rather than L & L.

WWDOOH, Unhalfbricking and Full House are the three I move around in order at the peak of all things Fairport.  But as a five album spread...those first five are, I think, at the peak of any 5-album runs of anybody, Sabs, Led Zep, Joni, Neil et al included....  Sometimes, if I'm feeling generous I even allow Angel Delight to sneak in and play as well.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2020, 11:31:08 AM »

Sometimes, if I'm feeling generous I even allow Angel Delight to sneak in and play as well.

If you let Angel Delight in, then you have to let 'Babbacombe' Lee in as well.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2020, 11:38:55 AM »

Sometimes, if I'm feeling generous I even allow Angel Delight to sneak in and play as well.

If you let Angel Delight in, then you have to let 'Babbacombe' Lee in as well.

Jules

In truth, I think both of them, whilst decent albums which I love, actually function at a level somewhat below that of the first five....

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2020, 11:56:28 AM »

I did see that and someone else mentioned Full House so I know Fairport hasn't been completely ignored. But it's interesting how little folk music has made it on to people's lists of favourite albums - me being as guilty as anyone else. That is probably because the 70s was so dominated by rock music and the only folk-influenced music I listened to in the 80s was the likes of Runrig and the Pogues.  

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2020, 03:02:29 PM »

In truth, I think both of them, whilst decent albums which I love, actually function at a level somewhat below that of the first five....

Not convinced about the debut, but otherwise, I wouldn't necessarily disagree.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2020, 04:54:43 PM »

Jules

Oh, it's a brilliant album, utterly brilliant...although I guess context is all (would I love it as much if it was produced in LA, for instance?).

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2020, 04:58:12 PM »

Oh, it's a brilliant album, utterly brilliant...

I admit it's been a while.  Maybe a fresh spin is in order.

Jules

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2020, 06:53:48 PM »

WWDOOH, Unhalfbricking and Full House are the three I move around in order at the peak of all things Fairport.  But as a five album spread...those first five are, I think, at the peak of any 5-album runs of anybody, Sabs, Led Zep, Joni, Neil et al included....  Sometimes, if I'm feeling generous I even allow Angel Delight to sneak in and play as well.
Pretty much spot on with most of that although I wouldn't change the order

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2020, 07:59:25 PM »

Fairport top 5:

1. Liege & Lief
2. Full House (expanded CD version, because without Poor Will it slips down the list)
3. Unhalfbricking
4. 'Babbacombe' Lee
5. Nine...or Angel Delight...or What We Did on Our Holidays...  Undecided

Jules

wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2020, 09:18:04 PM »

I love Liege & Lief but such is the strength of the canon, it's a mid-level Fairport release for me, at least enjoyment-wise. My top five is subject to change but currently:

1. Tipplers Tales
2. Angel Delight
3. Full House (if the reissue with Poor Will & Now Be Thankful is a valid choice.  Smiley)
4. The Bonny Bunch Of Roses
5. The Five Seasons

If Full House is dodgy, remove it, bump four & five up a place and add The Wood & The Wire as the new five.  Smiley
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2020, 11:52:12 PM »

1. Steve Ashley - Speedy Return
2. Wishbone Ash - Argus
3. Genesis - Live
4. Kevin Coyne - in living black and white
5. Amazing Blondel - England
6. Strawbs - Grave New World
7. Sandy Denny - North Star Grassman and the Ravens
8. Fairport Convention - Babbacombe Lee
9. Shirley Collins and the Albion Country Band - No Roses
10. Ewan McCollum, Peggy Seeger and Charles Parker - Singing the Fishing
Not necessarily on purely musical merit, I just go back to them and I will play the to death, where as other albums I have played to the point I still love them but can’t listen to them. The list may change tomorrow which is in less than ten minutes as I post

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2020, 01:20:17 PM »

I think I'd have to say "The Best of The Beatles"
Peter Allen

« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2020, 01:43:06 PM »

Jules

Oh, it's a brilliant album, utterly brilliant...although I guess context is all (would I love it as much if it was produced in LA, for instance?).

RT dislikes the first LP with a passion , told me so himself , in 2018 , confirmed by Simon 2 months later
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2020, 01:55:11 PM »

RT dislikes the first LP with a passion , told me so himself , in 2018 , confirmed by Simon 2 months later

Never heard that myself...I can find quotes where he talks about it quite fondly too, so I suspect you're maybe overstating that at least somewhat?  Anyway, what the hell does he know - we already know he has totally irrational loathing of some of his own albums too, so he has form  Wink Grin

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2020, 02:59:40 PM »

I think I'd have to say "The Best of The Beatles"

Grin

Jules

Peter Allen

« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2020, 09:23:50 PM »

Never heard that myself...I can find quotes where he talks about it quite fondly too, so I suspect you're maybe overstating that at least somewhat?  Anyway, what the hell does he know - we already know he has totally irrational loathing of some of his own albums too, so he has form  Wink Grin

"Detests " was the word Simon used , I was mooting the idea of the original line up making a follow up to the first LP , 51 years on , imagine Judy hadn't left , the phone goes , it's Polydor wanting a second LP ( given that all but the drummer in 2018 were alive and all still performing - how many bands from that era can you say that about ) Where to start , a chance for the originals to collaborate , pick a few choice covers Dylan , Mitchell ? , Rhodes? ,  the Heyday material from 1968?.More or less a blank canvas , less of the it's Full House line up  so we've got to do Walk Awhile and Sloth , or it's L&L so  Matty Groves  is a must , get away from the "hits"
So I mentioned it to Richard (everyone's moved on although if I liked the second LP I was in for a treat that night- a ref to playing  "Hard Times"), Iain Matthews (said diaries would never coincide to allow it to happen ) Simon laughed but said if RT didn't detest the Polydor album  so much ... Judy thought (she kindly responded to me on here as I joined TAW ) it was a nice idea but would stay just that . and Ashley (met him the same night as Simon ) said it was hard enough getting people to reform to play some old songs at Cropredy let alone doing something new  - and his "beginnings of Fairport" shows were as close as he would get to 1967-which is a credit to him
And of course , ego's , management , contracts , commitments/diaries would all stop it from happening , as business would surely stop it from being  fun to reform
I just thought it would be more fun to propose an idea , however improbable , rather than just going up to all of these brilliant musicians and telling them how great they were 50 years ago (!) - and how approachable and friendly these guys where .Thinking  back now, it's a wonder they didn't punch me ....and now Judy's gone
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: