TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 01, 2020, 12:35:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top Album of All Time  (Read 4087 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« on: October 19, 2020, 03:03:26 PM »

DSOTM is, in my opinion, the best album of all time.  

For me, this was the quintessential album of my teenage years and has found resonance in every decade since its release.

It's the one album I have in the car at all times. I've copies on stereo LP, Quadrophonic, tape, CD, 5:1 DVD Audio, DVD video and digital media. It never fails to satisfy.

But I'm under no illusions that people will agree with me. Have at it.

* folder.jpg (169.69 KB, 1200x1203 - viewed 218 times.)

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Lost in time like tears in the rain
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 03:12:35 PM »

It's undoubtedly a contender and has been in my top 10 (or thereabouts) since forever.  I can fully see why it could be anyone's favourite, and I wouldn't even begin to want to dissuade you.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 03:14:31 PM »

I go back and forth on this and there is probably no definitive answer but the one I keep returning to is Abbey Road.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 03:21:27 PM »

DSOTM is an album that I'm so familiar with that it's easy to forget just how good it is. Sometimes I just like to sit quietly and listen to it all the way through just to remind myself.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 03:36:16 PM »

Dark Side Of The Moon is a great album, no doubt. Not one I listen to often but it's always an enjoyable way to spend three quarters of an hour when I do dig it out.

My favourite album is not exactly one that critics foam at the mouth over but I dearly love it, regardless:

REO Speedwagon - You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish.

It takes moments from all of their previous albums - there's a little bit of prog, boogie, country, and good old fashioned rock & roll - whilst looking ahead to the pop rock glory days of Hi Infidelity, distilling it all down to a glorious whole. What an album!  Smiley
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 03:38:19 PM »

I go back and forth on this and there is probably no definitive answer but the one I keep returning to is Abbey Road.

That would probably also be mine, and yet in many ways it's an album that flatters through deception.  John's only on about half of it, and if you split it up into actual songs, and take away the power of side 2's medley presentation, it doesn't stand quite so tall.  Yet having said that, it sounds so creamy and warm.  It pretty much invented the 1970s album.  It's also Macca's finest hour as a singer, arranger, songwriter, and certainly as a bass player.  And Ringo's as a drummer.  And George Martin's as a producer.  And it contains George Harrison's best two Beatles songs.  All of which is my longwinded way of saying I think I agree with you.   Wink

Jules

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 03:52:56 PM »

That would probably also be mine, and yet in many ways it's an album that flatters through deception.  John's only on about half of it, and if you split it up into actual songs, and take away the power of side 2's medley presentation, it doesn't stand quite so tall.  Yet having said that, it sounds so creamy and warm.  It pretty much invented the 1970s album.  It's also Macca's finest hour as a singer, arranger, songwriter, and certainly as a bass player.  And Ringo's as a drummer.  And George Martin's as a producer.  And it contains George Harrison's best two Beatles songs.  All of which is my longwinded way of saying I think I agree with you.   Wink

Jules

Possibly so but I don't think that matters at all for this or any other album. Ultimately you have to set aside the forensic analysis and just ask how great it is as a listening experience. It is one of the reasons why I (and I think you) love the Monkees so much (for example) because it doesn't matter to me who is doing what or whether everyone is playing on the records. It only matters whether the record stands up on its own. Abbey Road absolutely does. Its all about the music, man!
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 04:00:25 PM »

Possibly so but I don't think that matters at all for this or any other album. Ultimately you have to set aside the forensic analysis and just ask how great it is as a listening experience. It is one of the reasons why I (and I think you) love the Monkees so much (for example) because it doesn't matter to me who is doing what or whether everyone is playing on the records. It only matters whether the record stands up on its own. Abbey Road absolutely does. Its all about the music, man!

You're right of course.  I just have to convince my analytical mind to agree with us.   Grin

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 04:07:12 PM »

It is one of the reasons why I (and I think you) love the Monkees so much (for example) because it doesn't matter to me who is doing what or whether everyone is playing on the records.

And yet it does matter to me, to a certain degree.  I feel so much more warmth and admiration when I know it's Michael playing the guitar and Peter playing the piano.  And even though I had to resign myself to the certainty that Micky was a lousy drummer, I still wish they'd have found a way to keep playing as a more-or-less "real" band.

They really should have made Davy the drummer and had Micky play rhythm guitar.  Apart from anything else it would have saved us from him standing out in the front shaking a tambourine or maracas and looking "winsome".   Roll Eyes

Jules

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 04:50:59 PM »

I'm Wide Awake It's Morning, Closely followed by Best of Teenage Fanclub and George Best.There are a number of Floyd albums I would go to before DSOTM although I have them all.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Eardisley, Herefordshire

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 05:00:37 PM »

I like DSotM but as the 4th or 5th best Floyd album it can't possibly be best album of all time  Wink  Smiley

My normal default answers are usually Forever Changes, Zuma, 1st CSN, Full House, something by the String Band (Hangman, U, 5000 Spirits) plus, er, loads of others Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 05:05:57 PM »

For me it's between "Wish You Were Here" and Vangelis' "Heaven & Hell". But "Abbey Road" would be close, as would "Unhalfbricking".
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 05:13:09 PM »

My normal default answers are usually Forever Changes, Zuma, 1st CSN, Full House, something by the String Band (Hangman, U, 5000 Spirits) plus, er, loads of others Grin

And mine are: Abbey Road; Who's Next; Murmur; Marquee Moon; Forever Changes; Ommadawn; Village Green Preservation Society; Hunky Dory; Radio City; The Notorious Byrd Brothers; and, uh, The Dark Side of the Moon.

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 05:16:52 PM »

I like DSotM but as the 4th or 5th best Floyd album it can't possibly be best album of all time  Wink  Smiley

As my mind is now boggling at what 3 (or 4) Floyd albums you'd have the effrontery to put ahead of it, I demand that you now spill this can of worms (your honour).

Jules

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 05:29:45 PM »

As my mind is now boggling at what 3 (or 4) Floyd albums you'd have the effrontery to put ahead of it, I demand that you now spill this can of worms (your honour).

Jules
Piper Umma Gumma, Meddle, WYWH, AHM.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2020, 05:32:53 PM »

Piper UmmaGumma, Meddle, WYWH, AHM.

1. Acceptable if Syd is your main thing.
2. Unacceptable - a sprawling half-cocked mess.
3. Acceptable.
4. Acceptable.
5. Good God, no. I mean, most of side 2 is good, but side 1 gets a big klaxon noise from me.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2020, 05:37:20 PM »

Piper UmmaGumma, Meddle, WYWH, AHM.

1. Acceptable if Syd is your main thing.
2. Unacceptable - a sprawling half-cocked mess.
3. Acceptable.
4. Acceptable.
5. Good God, no. I mean, most of side 2 is good, but side 1 gets a big klaxon noise from me.

Jules

Probably not 2 and 5 although I like them a lot more than you, obviously. But I'd put The Wall up above Dark Side.  If I talked about The Final Cut you'd probably think I'm clinically insane but I do LOVE that album.  WYWH is the first Floyd album I fell for, so is almost certainly at the pinnacle for me... It was, unbelievably, about 2020 before I actually heard DSotM in its entirety...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2020, 05:40:47 PM »

If I talked about The Final Cut you'd probably think I'm clinically insane but I do LOVE that album.  

That's you and David Quantick then.

I dunno about The Wall.  There's so much to admire about it, but it's also a bit too Roger Waters centric for me - both in the vocals department, and in the 'Roger goes to the psychiatrist' department.   Grin

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2020, 05:43:00 PM »

It was, unbelievably, about 2020 before I actually heard DSotM in its entirety...

That is indeed something of a shocker.   Shocked

It beats my never having heard a Led Zep album in its entirety until 2014 claim.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2020, 05:45:13 PM »

It was, unbelievably, about 2020 before I actually heard DSotM in its entirety...

That is indeed something of a shocker.   Shocked

It beats my never having heard a Led Zep album in its entirety until 2014 claim.

Jules

2000, not 2020!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: