TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 01, 2020, 11:48:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top 20 Albums - 1971  (Read 1069 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2020, 09:20:15 PM »

Somebody gave me a CD of Electric Warrior about 10 years ago.  Still haven't got around to playing it yet.   Undecided

Jules

I was in a similar boat but I listened fairly recently. It didn't really do much for me beyond the singles. It is a controversial view but I always feel that there was not much depth to Bolan and way too much ego. TRex were agreat singles band though and a greatest hits comp suffices for me.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 09:35:26 PM by GubGub (Al) » Logged
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2020, 09:32:53 PM »

It is a controversial view but I always feel that there was not much depth to Bolan and way too much ego. TRex were a great singles band though and a greatest hits comp sufficees for me.

See, I didn't think that was a controversial view.  I thought it was gospel.  It's certainly my view.  But recently I've noticed Bolan fandom getting very widespread, particularly on Twitter.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2020, 09:36:51 PM »

It is a controversial view but I always feel that there was not much depth to Bolan and way too much ego. TRex were a great singles band though and a greatest hits comp sufficees for me.

See, I didn't think that was a controversial view.  I thought it was gospel.  It's certainly my view.  But recently I've noticed Bolan fandom getting very widespread, particularly on Twitter.

Jules

I do think the recent Hal Willner produced tribute album is really splendid though. Thoroughly recommended.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2020, 11:52:23 PM »

Somebody gave me a CD of Electric Warrior about 10 years ago.  Still haven't got around to playing it yet.   Undecided

Jules

TRex were agreat singles band though and a greatest hits comp suffices for me.

That's what I think, 8 or 10 great singles but nothing else. I did listen way back in the day. Even the Best Of I have has a lot of filler. The B sides were dull as well, no hidden gems there.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2020, 03:27:25 PM »

Not a lot of love for Electric Warrior then. Maybe it should have made it into my top 20 for '71, it still means a great deal to me as it was amongst the first albums I bought, not the first but in the first three or four anyway. Bolan's ego was just about in check at that point, but as things turned out the album proved to be the cut off point for me, after that he started to repeat the formula with increasingly diminishing returns, but the four Tyrannosaurus Rex and first two T. Rex albums are still excellent, if very much of their time.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2020, 03:37:20 PM »

Not a lot of love for Electric Warrior then. Maybe it should have made it into my top 20 for '71, it still means a great deal to me as it was amongst the first albums I bought, not the first but in the first three or four anyway. Bolan's ego was just about in check at that point, but as things turned out the album proved to be the cut off point for me, after that he started to repeat the formula with increasingly diminishing returns, but the four Tyrannosaurus Rex and first two T. Rex albums are still excellent, if very much of their time.
It's very possible the last 50 years have clouded my judgement on it....  Shocked

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: