TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 02, 2020, 04:39:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top 80s Albums  (Read 2390 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2020, 09:16:20 PM »

I bought so little new music in the '80s. Mainly, I purchased music by artists established in the '60s and '70s. Therefore, my short list of favorite new music actually purchased during the relevant decade includes:

Doobie Brothers: Cycles

I didn't know much about the Doobie Brothers until I documentary about them on the telly the other day. Really enjoyed it so sent for a few CDs. The only one to arrive, so far, is Cycles. Excellent record!

Which others have you ordered? As a lifelong fan I would be wary of the order in which to consume them. There are some that I like that I would not recommend as starting points. Cycles was a pretty decent comeback album, harking back to but perhaps a tad heavier than their early albums.

OT I know, but as a fellow lifelong fan, I would explore the Doobie Brothers in the following loose order:

Best of the Doobies (the original 1976 best of) - my first Doobies LP and the one that started it all for me
The Captain and Me - IMO the best of the Tom Johnston era; turn it up LOUD
Toulouse Street - funk, rock and roll, hippy stuff, and New Orleans textures
What Were Once Vices are Now Habits - Pat Simmons' songs really shine on this eclectic LP
Taking it to the Streets - Michael McDonald explodes on the scene
Minute by Minute - the commercial if not artistic height of the band - Side A is classic, Side B contains some filler
Stampede - a country-flavored record, which I dearly love
Livin' on the Fault Line - the jazziest they ever got; great guitar work by Skunk Baxter
Brotherhood - my favorite post-reunion record; this one rocks
Sibling Rivalry - a complicated record featuring four songwriters/lead singers, but I love the sound
Cycles - the first reunion record; again, Side B contains some filler
Live: The Wildlife Concert - their best live album; love the new tunes, song selection and playing
The Doobie Brothers - their first album is very folky and poorly recorded; not representative of what they became, but a lot of fun
World Gone Crazy - their most recent album has some great songs but is not as memorable as what came before
One Step Closer - the decline of the Michael McDonald era; Simmons is barely there and MM was saving his best songs for his solo records
Doobies Live (1984) - the worst "live" album I've ever heard; I blame the producer, Ted Templeman. I think they rerecorded a substantial amount of this in a studio

I'd pretty much go along with that except I would move Stampede up to 5th place and put the debut and One Step Closer higher. I take your point about the latter but it still has a couple of great cuts especially No Stoppin Us Now and Keep This Train A Rolling.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2020, 10:40:57 PM »

I bought so little new music in the '80s. Mainly, I purchased music by artists established in the '60s and '70s. Therefore, my short list of favorite new music actually purchased during the relevant decade includes:

Human League: Dare
AC/DC: Back in Black
Los Lobos: Will the Wolf Survive?
Foreigner: 4
Eric Clapton: Journeyman
Dire Straits: Making Movies
David Bowie: Let's Dance
Robin Trower: Victims of the Fury
U2: War
Yes: 90125
Heart: Heart
ZZ Top: Eliminator
Little Feat: Let it Roll
B52s: Cosmic Thing
Bonnie Raitt: Nick of Time
Tom Petty: Full Moon Fever

There were lots of songs I was hearing on the radio that I loved, such as "Sweet Child of Mine" by Guns 'N Roses, "No Rain" by Blind Melon, "The Walls Came Down" by The Call, and "But Anyway" by Blues Traveler. I would buy the CD singles if I could find them, rather than the whole albums, so I didn't really discover the rest of the music.

I didn't know much about the Doobie Brothers until I documentary about them on the telly the other day. Really enjoyed it so sent for a few CDs. The only one to arrive, so far, is Cycles. Excellent record!

Which others have you ordered? As a lifelong fan I would be wary of the order in which to consume them. There are some that I like that I would not recommend as starting points. Cycles was a pretty decent comeback album, harking back to but perhaps a tad heavier than their early albums.

Apologies for my tardy reply. I missed your post somehow!

Anyway, I've also ordered Toulouse Street, Stampede and Takin' It To The Streets. Just picked at random, really. Still haven't arrived yet.
wayne stote

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2020, 10:44:16 PM »

OT I know, but as a fellow lifelong fan, I would explore the Doobie Brothers in the following loose order:

Best of the Doobies (the original 1976 best of) - my first Doobies LP and the one that started it all for me
The Captain and Me - IMO the best of the Tom Johnston era; turn it up LOUD
Toulouse Street - funk, rock and roll, hippy stuff, and New Orleans textures
What Were Once Vices are Now Habits - Pat Simmons' songs really shine on this eclectic LP
Taking it to the Streets - Michael McDonald explodes on the scene
Minute by Minute - the commercial if not artistic height of the band - Side A is classic, Side B contains some filler
Stampede - a country-flavored record, which I dearly love
Livin' on the Fault Line - the jazziest they ever got; great guitar work by Skunk Baxter
Brotherhood - my favorite post-reunion record; this one rocks
Sibling Rivalry - a complicated record featuring four songwriters/lead singers, but I love the sound
Cycles - the first reunion record; again, Side B contains some filler
Live: The Wildlife Concert - their best live album; love the new tunes, song selection and playing
The Doobie Brothers - their first album is very folky and poorly recorded; not representative of what they became, but a lot of fun
World Gone Crazy - their most recent album has some great songs but is not as memorable as what came before
One Step Closer - the decline of the Michael McDonald era; Simmons is barely there and MM was saving his best songs for his solo records
Doobies Live (1984) - the worst "live" album I've ever heard; I blame the producer, Ted Templeman. I think they rerecorded a substantial amount of this in a studio

Thanks very much for all the info, John. Much appreciated!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2020, 08:30:51 AM »

Human League: Dare
AC/DC: Back in Black
Los Lobos: Will the Wolf Survive?
Foreigner: 4
Eric Clapton: Journeyman
Dire Straits: Making Movies
David Bowie: Let's Dance
Robin Trower: Victims of the Fury
U2: War
Yes: 90125
Heart: Heart
ZZ Top: Eliminator
Little Feat: Let it Roll
B52s: Cosmic Thing
Bonnie Raitt: Nick of Time
Tom Petty: Full Moon Fever

There were lots of songs I was hearing on the radio that I loved, such as "Sweet Child of Mine" by Guns 'N Roses, "No Rain" by Blind Melon, "The Walls Came Down" by The Call, and "But Anyway" by Blues Traveler. I would buy the CD singles if I could find them, rather than the whole albums, so I didn't really discover the rest of the music.

Apologies for my tardy reply. I missed your post somehow!

Anyway, I've also ordered Toulouse Street, Stampede and Takin' It To The Streets. Just picked at random, really. Still haven't arrived yet.

No problem. Play them in that order. You definitely also need What Were Once Vices and The Captain and Me. Incidentally there is a quadraphonic reissue of albums 2-5 being released on 6 November.
wayne stote

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2020, 09:22:18 AM »

Excellent!

I shouldn't have been such a tightwad and sent for next-day delivery. They're due at the end of the week though. If I enjoy them, as I expect to, I'll follow up on your suggestions.  Smiley
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2020, 11:56:55 AM »

Or do as I did some years ago and buy The Very Best of The Doobie Brothers compilation (33 tracks - about 2 hours of music) for not very much off iTunes.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2020, 12:10:39 PM »

Or do as I did some years ago and buy The Very Best of The Doobie Brothers compilation (33 tracks - about 2 hours of music) for not very much off iTunes.

There are (or were) also two very cheap Original Albums Series boxes which would net you most of the albums for around £25, albeit you already have three of them.
Yorkshire Chris
Did you have a Sloppy Guiseppe?

Loc: Yorkshire (who'd have guessed...!)

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2020, 02:35:25 PM »

Mine might look something like this:

1. R.E.M. - Murmur
2. The Waterboys - Fisherman's Blues
3. The icicle Works - Blind
4. R.E.M. - Lifes Rich Pageant
5. The Replacements - Tim
6. Neil Young - Freedom
7. Game Theory - The Big Shot Chronicles
8. R.E.M. - Fables of the Reconstruction of the Fables of the
9. The Clash - Sandinista!
10. fIREHOSE - fROMOHIO
11. The Replacements - Pleased to Meet Me
12. Game Theory - Lolita Nation
13. 10,000 Maniacs - In My Tribe
14. R.E.M. - Green
15. R.E.M. - Reckoning
16. The Psychedelic Furs - Mirror Moves
17. Meat Puppets - Mirage
18. Meat Puppets - Up on the Sun
19. fIREHOSE - Ragin' Full-On
20. The Replacements - Let it Be

Jules

Good to see the bold-ed ones on your list Jules - we seem to have greatly overlapping musical tastes (not just where R.E.M and various SST bands are concerned) but I would have to add these two to the list:

Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime

Meat Puppets - II

The former is a strong contender for the title of 'Album I couldn't live without"...!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2020, 03:13:14 PM »

Good to see the bold-ed ones on your list Jules - we seem to have greatly overlapping musical tastes (not just where R.E.M and various SST bands are concerned) but I would have to add these two to the list:

Meat Puppets - II

The former is a strong contender for the title of 'Album I couldn't live without"...!

I would have got to both of them in time.  I know it's sort of weird of me to prefer fIREHOSE to Minutemen.  I suppose I like a bit of polish, even with my alternative/indie/punk stuff.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2020, 05:20:27 PM »

The 80s was an amazing decade for folk orientated music as well and the following would rank highly in my list of any 80s albums

Nic Jones - Penguin Eggs
Moving Hearts - Moving Hearts
Oyster Band - Step Outside
Dick Gaughan - Handful of Earth
Halpin and McConville - Port of Call
Martin Simpson - Sad or High Kicking
Martin Simpson and June Tabor - A Cut above
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2020, 09:07:29 PM »

The 80s was an amazing decade for folk orientated music as well and the following would rank highly in my list of any 80s albums

Nic Jones - Penguin Eggs
Moving Hearts - Moving Hearts
Oyster Band - Step Outside
Dick Gaughan - Handful of Earth
Halpin and McConville - Port of Call
Martin Simpson - Sad or High Kicking
Martin Simpson and June Tabor - A Cut above

If it had been a Top 30 I might well have included The Pogues' Rum Sodomy & the Lash.

Wikipedia has REM under Uncategorized folk rock.  Grin

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
wayne stote

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2020, 11:02:30 AM »

Many thanks for all the Doobies advice, everyone!  Smiley
Yorkshire Chris
Did you have a Sloppy Guiseppe?

Loc: Yorkshire (who'd have guessed...!)

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2020, 01:27:16 PM »

Meat Puppets - II

I would have got to both of them in time. †I know it's sort of weird of me to prefer fIREHOSE to Minutemen. †I suppose I like a bit of polish, even with my alternative/indie/punk stuff.

Jules

Not weird at all - I've a massive soft spot for fIREHOSE as they were my first introduction to Mike Watt and pretty much the whole SST back catalogue. I stumbled upon them completely by accident - I'd recorded a late night programme (on VHS video) and watched it, fell asleep, missed the end and woke up to find myself watching an interview with Mike Watt & Ed Crawford which was fascinating in its awkwardness (see link below). I sat gripped as the interview ended with their chairs falling over and performance of 'Brave Captain' which blew me away. I went out the next day and bought the only fIREHOSE album I could find which was 'fROMOHIO' and the rest is history...!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyWIgUqhu80
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2020, 03:04:35 PM »

I sat gripped as the interview ended with their chairs falling over and performance of 'Brave Captain' which blew me away. I went out the next day and bought the only fIREHOSE album I could find which was 'fROMOHIO' and the rest is history...!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyWIgUqhu80

Great.  I love Brave Captain.  And fROMOHIO is my favourite of their albums.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: