TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 17, 2021, 06:21:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joan Baez  (Read 2726 times)
Wandering Steve

« on: August 09, 2020, 09:15:40 PM »

I’ve just started listening to her as I’m a bob Dylan fan.
IMO she’s amazing and still playing...
She’s posted a few bits on YouTube recently and her version of blowing in the wind is superb.

How on earth has she never played crooredy??

Is there any chance if tickets sell out next year (a certainty if it’s on imo) can they not add her to the bill.

Without being negative none of us are getting younger and I feel it’d be a crime if she never played Cropredy.

I think she would be a brilliant fit or am I over egging her having just started listening to her......

This may be sacrilege but I find her version of sad eyed lady of the lowlands even better than Bob Dylan’s

Thoughts welcome.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 07:57:36 AM »

She announced her retirement last year:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/joan-baez-interview-farewell-tour-rolling-thunder-trump-828142/

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 11:52:14 AM »

Indeed. I went to her excellent farewell show at the Royal Albert Hall, though she did come back for a second swing a year later because of demand. She is now done though as a touring artist, though she had not ruled out further recording.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 12:02:15 PM »

I'm afraid Joan's is one of those "I know I should but I really don't" piles for me.  My stupid loss, but try as I might I just can't quite get beyond the purity of that voice enough to start to enjoy it.  Saw her once at  Cambridge FF and she was just so precious.  One of those ridiculous 'stand up/sit down' battles that go on every evening in the tent there.  Her sister on the other hand, I adore.  Go figure....

Addendum: I do enjoy her on stage Dylan impersonations though!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 12:47:49 PM »

I'm afraid Joan's is one of those "I know I should but I really don't" piles for me.  My stupid loss, but try as I might I just can't quite get beyond the purity of that voice enough to start to enjoy it.  Saw her once at  Cambridge FF and she was just so precious.  One of those ridiculous 'stand up/sit down' battles that go on every evening in the tent there.  Her sister on the other hand, I adore.  Go figure....

I think I was at that gig at the CFF. Was that when they warned the audience not to take photos? I was not really impressed.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 01:05:43 PM »

I'm afraid Joan's is one of those "I know I should but I really don't" piles for me.  My stupid loss, but try as I might I just can't quite get beyond the purity of that voice enough to start to enjoy it.  

Much the same, but I do think she absolutely got it right with her song about Bob, Diamonds and Rust. That's brilliant.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 01:09:01 PM »

She rarely used that voice after the sixties or at least when she was singing songs which she did not originally record in the sixties. Give something like Gone From Danger a go. Or Blowin Away or of course Diamonds and Rust on which one of those impersonations occurs.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 03:10:49 PM »

We saw the final show in Austin a couple of years ago. The purity of her voice is long gone, which I think contributed to her decision to retire from touring. However, I found her extremely charismatic, tasteful, and her current singing voice is extremely expressive. So, on balance, love love love.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 03:40:42 PM »

I’ve just started listening to her as I’m a bob Dylan fan.
IMO she’s amazing and still playing...
She’s posted a few bits on YouTube recently and her version of blowing in the wind is superb.

How on earth has she never played crooredy??

Is there any chance if tickets sell out next year (a certainty if it’s on imo) can they not add her to the bill.

Without being negative none of us are getting younger and I feel it’d be a crime if she never played Cropredy.

I think she would be a brilliant fit or am I over egging her having just started listening to her......

This may be sacrilege but I find her version of sad eyed lady of the lowlands even better than Bob Dylan’s

Thoughts welcome.

I can tolerate Dylan songs when they are sung by Joan Baez. In fact maybe Dylan should have just handed his songs over to her without recording them himself.  Cool Grin She can really do a cover version.I saw her once in concert s few years back and she was a real professional.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 03:42:48 PM »

I think I was at that gig at the CFF. Was that when they warned the audience not to take photos? I was not really impressed.

... and so was I, a performance I don't recall with any affection.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 05:39:33 PM »

Saw her about 10 to 15 years ago and she was excellent. Her voice had mellowed a lot though.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: