TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
August 15, 2020, 09:02:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Damian Wilson  (Read 584 times)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« on: July 14, 2020, 05:25:30 PM »

Didnít know where to put this but thought some of you might find this interesting....seems that Damian Wilson of Wilson Wakeman has joined prog band Arena. Not sure what this actually means or even who Arena are but he has a superb voice so will wait and see

Born to Run (but not very fast)
SteveT

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 06:15:55 PM »

That's great news! I am a very big long time fan of Damian.

Arena are prog band who have been around for about 30 years or so.

They were founded by Mick Pointer, the drummer for Marillion during the Script For A Jester's Tear era.

The two other main protagonists are Clive Nolan on keys (of Pendragon and solo fame) and John Mitchell on guitar (his other notable achievements are too many to mention).

This combo of musicians should give you an idea of the style of prog we're talking about.

They've had a a few different singers over the years, including Paul Manzi, who sang with Cats In Space at Cropredy, and he's now the singer with The Sweet.

They've got a new album out later this year and I have tickets to see them in October at Dingwalls. Fingers crossed that will still go ahead.  Smiley

Hope this helps,

Steve

wayne stote

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 07:06:38 PM »

Damian should be a good fit.

I like Paul Manzi's voice. He was phenomenal with Cats In Space but he never felt quite quite right with Arena. Can't put my finger on why.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 09:00:11 PM »

Sounds like itís right up my street. I will be seeking them out!

Iím a Paul Manzi fan too. I didnít realise heíd gone to Sweet.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 08:59:28 AM »

That's great news! I am a very big long time fan of Damian.

Arena are prog band who have been around for about 30 years or so.

They were founded by Mick Pointer, the drummer for Marillion during the Script For A Jester's Tear era.

The two other main protagonists are Clive Nolan on keys (of Pendragon and solo fame) and John Mitchell on guitar (his other notable achievements are too many to mention).

This combo of musicians should give you an idea of the style of prog we're talking about.

They've had a a few different singers over the years, including Paul Manzi, who sang with Cats In Space at Cropredy, and he's now the singer with The Sweet.

They've got a new album out later this year and I have tickets to see them in October at Dingwalls. Fingers crossed that will still go ahead. †Smiley

Hope this helps,

Steve

Thanks Steve. I have a DVD by The Mick Pointer Band doing Script Revisited (live at The Boerderij in The Netherlands on 16 April 2016) which is pretty good. Will look out Arena  Smiley

Born to Run (but not very fast)
SteveT

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 01:26:31 PM »

Glad I could be of help.

I have quite a good relationship with Mick actually, ever since I mentioned to him that I'd seen Marillion at the Zero 6 club in Southend on a Monday night in January, prior to Script being released.

I also, saw Mick doing the return to the Script in a tiny pub in Wiltshire about 10-12 years ago I reckon, very enjoyable night.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: