TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 21, 2020, 07:55:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beardy Folk  (Read 1610 times)
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« on: July 13, 2020, 11:00:39 AM »

Incredibly, Beardy Folk Festival has confirmed it is going ahead - 17th to 20th September. Looks like there will be a few line up amendments still to be announced. I went last year and it is a very well spaced out festival inside a huge walled garden. Last year it seemed like social distancing was in place, even before that was a thing. Lovely little festival though  Smiley
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Eardisley, Herefordshire

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 11:12:29 AM »

One of the things I read about outdoor events at the weekend is that the volume of what is going on is important.  If people have to shout to be heard over the music they will not be permitted (because this increases the possible spread of the virus through moisture from the mouth).  Although quite what 'permitted' means is a moot point as effectively as we've all seen you can just do whatever the **** you want out there now....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 01:03:40 PM »

I have a ticket, and am tempted to go. Though I might give the bar stage a miss as that did get crowded. Looks like 11 line up announcements to be made.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 01:12:28 PM »

Take a mask and plenty of anti-bac. Try not to touch anything, and wear disposable gloves when you use the loo. Take your own chair & ensure anyone serving you food & drinks is following good hygiene, or take your own. Don't sit on public benches & seats. Try not to stand too close to others, better to be on the outskirts of the crowd and safe, you'll still hear the music.

This is how Mike and I intend to deal with similar situations. We're happy to do it, as it will allow us to continue to attend music and theatre events, which we love.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Eardisley, Herefordshire

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 02:10:15 PM »

Take a mask and plenty of anti-bac. Try not to touch anything, and wear disposable gloves when you use the loo. Take your own chair & ensure anyone serving you food & drinks is following good hygiene, or take your own. Don't sit on public benches & seats. Try not to stand too close to others, better to be on the outskirts of the crowd and safe, you'll still hear the music.

This is how Mike and I intend to deal with similar situations. We're happy to do it, as it will allow us to continue to attend music and theatre events, which we love.

Why?  You don't use disposable gloves when you go to the loo in normal times?  I genuinely don't see how gloves are any protection against this virus at all.  The act of taking them off after you use them will already have dissipated any good work they might have done and you'll already have to clean your hands.  Just follow good hand hygiene and wash where you can, or use lots of alcohol gel when you can't - whilst not touching your face unless your hands are clean.  I'm probably talking nonsense but that's what I reckon anyway...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 02:30:39 PM »

Why?  You don't use disposable gloves when you go to the loo in normal times?  I genuinely don't see how gloves are any protection against this virus at all.  The act of taking them off after you use them will already have dissipated any good work they might have done and you'll already have to clean your hands.  Just follow good hand hygiene and wash where you can, or use lots of alcohol gel when you can't - whilst not touching your face unless your hands are clean.  I'm probably talking nonsense but that's what I reckon anyway...
It's not nonsense and other views are always available, but the gloves keep germs away from your hands. Easy to remove them afterwards without touching the outside and dispose of them in a bin. There's not always washing facilities available so this is just an extra precaution.

Part of this is for psychological reasons too. I have a "whatever it takes without being a knobhead" approach. If you feel better with gloves then go for it. If not, fair enough. It's your hands!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 01:30:46 PM »

re the gloves and disposable masks its the waste that bothers me! more plastics that last a thousand years being discarded..  Sad Sad

I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour, drinking milk shakes cold and long
Smiling and waving and looking so fine, don't think
You knew you were in this song
Ann from Lancs

Loc: Colne

I could do it all, but just not today …

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 09:53:54 PM »

Well, despite the announcement this week that from Monday 14th September Boris has imposed a limit of 6 people at outdoor gatherings, with the only exceptions being for work or education purposes, weddings, funerals and organised sports teams - Beardy Folk has confirmed that it is still going ahead.  They say that 'organised events' are exempt.  

This can't be right, surely?  If they go ahead and get raided, will the attendees end up with a £100 fine??

I will get round to writing that report one day ... who knows where the time goes ??
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 10:23:38 PM »

Well, despite the announcement this week that from Monday 14th September Boris has imposed a limit of 6 people at outdoor gatherings, with the only exceptions being for work or education purposes, weddings, funerals and organised sports teams - Beardy Folk has confirmed that it is still going ahead.  They say that 'organised events' are exempt.  

This can't be right, surely?  If they go ahead and get raided, will the attendees end up with a £100 fine??

Well, as usual the simple to understand rules are anything but. It seems however that cinemas and the like are allowed to stay open but must provide sufficient space between visiting groups. So, a family group of up to six can attend but then have to be an appropriate distance from the next nearest attending group of up to six. Presumably the same will apply here but it is messy and almost impossible to regulate and seems to defeat its own object (unless the object is to give the impression that the government are taking some sort of action when they are really not).
Ann from Lancs

Loc: Colne

I could do it all, but just not today …

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 12:38:04 PM »

I have a ticket, and am tempted to go. Though I might give the bar stage a miss as that did get crowded. Looks like 11 line up announcements to be made.

I've got a ticket and I'm going to brave it.  See you there!

I will get round to writing that report one day ... who knows where the time goes ??
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 04:04:51 PM »

I'm stewarding at Beardy, hope the social distancing rules don't make things awkward   Huh
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 02:44:26 PM »

Well that was an overwhelming success, very well organised with everyone following the rules. Just under 1000 attended. Highlights were; Sam Kelly and the Lost Boys, Luke Jackson, Cardboard Fox and The Magpies, and the weather.
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2020, 05:55:44 PM »

A good festival, with much social distancing.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: