TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:35:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard and Linda Box Set  (Read 106318 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2020, 09:47:30 AM »

We were away for the weekend, and the package was waiting on my return.  I am holding back from actually opening it until I can enjoy it!  

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2020, 08:25:08 PM »

So, how is everybody getting on with this? I have started a poll on the Steve Hoffman site to ascertain the scale of the manufacturing problems. So far only one person has reported a set which plays perfectly from start to finish. The box now seems to have been withdrawn from sale by many vendors. Super Deluxe Edition have an enquiry in with Universal about it all but it is not at all clear where this leaves everyone who has already taken delivery of faulty copies.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2020, 08:33:06 PM »

I havent listened to it in full, the bits some have mentioned seemed ok,
We need those who have ploughed their way through the misery and guitar solos to report back

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2020, 09:48:57 PM »

As far as I can work out it's only when you try and rip it that the problems begin.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2020, 10:10:55 PM »

As far as I can work out it's only when you try and rip it that the problems begin.

Jules

That has been my experience so far but there are many people saying they can't even get discs to play, that players don't recognise them, that they stop part way through, that they make a terrible racket whilst they play or that there are certain tracks that stall and skip and judder, the Rafferty Back Street Slide, the live Calvary Cross and the First Light demo seemingly being the worst culprits.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2020, 11:02:17 PM »

Andy B now on the case.  Smiley
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2020, 07:49:44 AM »

Where?  And what has he said?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2020, 08:32:58 AM »

Where?  And what has he said?

On the Steve Hoffman site last night.

"Hi All,

These technical issues are just devastating to me. I was so looking forward to your music feedback, and reading all of this issues is really sad. I have no involvement in what discs and pressing plant are used, so i can offer no technical comment on any of the errors you are having, but thanks for starting a separate thread, as it seems this problem is extensive. I will take this up officially tomorrow, and having a separate place for you guys to register issues will make it easier and clearer for me to bring it to the attention of the right people and be specific about the problems involved.

best
A "

Paul Sinclair from Super Deluxe Edition has also taken up the case with Universal.

Just to add, if you do experience problems and you want to document them for Andy's attention (he is gathering evidence to present to the record company) yo can do so here. https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/richard-linda-thompson-hard-luck-stories-playing-ripping-problems-or-not.995773/
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 08:53:50 AM by GubGub (Al) » Logged
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2020, 10:43:07 AM »

Thanks, Al.  If you could keep us up to date on here as well, that would be appreciated.  I'm going to hold off for now.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2020, 10:53:11 AM »

Discs seem to play ok on my main system, a fairly decent but aging Denon player, but issues with discs 3 and 7 when played on a small JVC system in the kitchen.
Not tried ripping yet.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2020, 10:59:33 AM »

I ripped the first four discs to iTunes last night, and noticed a couple of songs where it was noisy and slow.  I have just listened to Pour Down Like Silver (disc 4), and the sound is fine, even on The Calvary Cross, which is one of the tracks that was slow and noisy in ripping, and where others have reported issues. Phew!

Haven't listened to any of the rest yet, so we'll see if it is OK too

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2020, 02:31:56 PM »

There does seem to be much more of this (both CD and vinyl production errors) about now...or is it just because of social media and the net that we instantly know when it happens?

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2020, 02:39:16 PM »

There does seem to be much more of this (both CD and vinyl production errors) about now...or is it just because of social media and the net that we instantly know when it happens?

There was quite a bit in the days of vinyl!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2020, 03:39:58 PM »

A bit of both, I reckon.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2020, 07:42:43 PM »

Talking on Fb about typos in the book too...apparently the first 2pp includes secret for secrete, and who’s for whose.  That is totally unacceptable (says man who is currently writing a book and will therefore deeply regret such a comment).  What on earth happened to editing?!  Replaced with a spell checker which isn't human, and isn't intelligent.  Computer says no. Wink Grin

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2020, 07:52:20 PM »

What on earth happened to editing?!  Replaced with a spell checker which isn't human, and isn't intelligent.

Also, the human expects to be paid, and as there's **** all money around for most writing, publishers no longer wish to pay for such a luxury.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2020, 07:59:13 PM »

What on earth happened to editing?!  Replaced with a spell checker which isn't human, and isn't intelligent.

Also, the human expects to be paid, and as there's **** all money around for most writing, publishers no longer wish to pay for such a luxury.

Jules

Late era capitalism in a nut shell.  Nobody wants to employ anybody to do anything because the profit is all needed to go to the shareholders.  More with less...until?

Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2020, 08:00:58 PM »

Jules

Most newspapers. even articles by respected people, read as though they were written in school. Maybe voice software and no editing?
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2020, 09:20:34 PM »

Talking on Fb about typos in the book too...apparently the first 2pp includes secret for secrete, and who’s for whose.  That is totally unacceptable (says man who is currently writing a book and will therefore deeply regret such a comment).  What on earth happened to editing?!  Replaced with a spell checker which isn't human, and isn't intelligent.  Computer says no. Wink Grin

Yes there are a few howlers in the book and some factual errors too such as referring to the Joe Boyd produced Julie Covington album as her first solo album (it was her second). It is a shame as it is otherwise a beautiful and informative book.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2020, 02:47:32 PM »

Shown as restocking in Amazon on the 25th...£75.16  Undecided

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: