TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
August 15, 2020, 09:49:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clennell Gathering  (Read 689 times)
Ann from Lancs

Loc: Colne

I could do it all, but just not today …

« on: July 09, 2020, 12:05:40 PM »

It seems that this is going ahead this month ... don't understand how it could be OK when every other musical event has had to cancel!  Is this actually allowed?   https://www.facebook.com/letsmakemusicatclennell/photos/a.1757287724538110/2622730471327160/?type=3&theater  

I will get round to writing that report one day ... who knows where the time goes ??
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 02:43:24 PM »

It seems that this is going ahead this month ... don't understand how it could be OK when every other musical event has had to cancel!  Is this actually allowed?   https://www.facebook.com/letsmakemusicatclennell/photos/a.1757287724538110/2622730471327160/?type=3&theater  

No.

If you know of a nice property to rent in 'Mid Wales'/The borders (Powys really, possibly Ceredigion/Monmouthshire or Herefordshire) for a year from now do please drop me a line.  Many thanks!
kenhughes

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 06:22:16 PM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53354262?SThisFB&fbclid=IwAR0XAoOv-Ip98UGxdoRMQC9gmIL99OsvULkq21psqKlD7WvsxQVK4TnXWPA
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 06:51:29 PM »

Well it was correct when I wrote it..  Roll Eyes Grin

Hmmmm.  A socially distanced festival - now that I want to see.  Good luck all.

If you know of a nice property to rent in 'Mid Wales'/The borders (Powys really, possibly Ceredigion/Monmouthshire or Herefordshire) for a year from now do please drop me a line.  Many thanks!
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 12:04:56 PM »

Reading's Down At The Abbey Festival announced its postponement only minutes before this change was made public. Recalling their site layout though, I don't think DatA could've happened anyway - its in the Abbey ruins, a lovely site, but with narrow paths and pinchpoints in places, and not that big an area. Very little chance for keeping distances.

One festival I am still looking out for is Wood. This was postponed from May but still has its September date open. This is a tiny festival (about 500 people) in a very large area of land. It is almost entirely out in the open - there's a small stage in the bar marquee, and a speakers/storytellers stage in a small tent which would both need to be redesigned somehow. The food stalls have always had an organised queuing system in place, and with a bit of thought could handle situations as well as any café now open. Most acts are small (solo/duo/trio folkies) and the audience are very 'respectful' (old duffers like us, to be honest!) We go to this festival because it is not crowded. It has a lot of workshops, which would need some thought to coordinate, but otherwise, as a festival it probably has the best chance of any of creating a 'safe' environment.

Basically, I think that if Wood can't or won't go ahead then no-one else can, nor should they try.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 12:27:50 PM »

Reading's Down At The Abbey Festival announced its postponement only minutes before this change was made public. Recalling their site layout though, I don't think DatA could've happened anyway - its in the Abbey ruins, a lovely site, but with narrow paths and pinchpoints in places, and not that big an area. Very little chance for keeping distances.

One festival I am still looking out for is Wood. This was postponed from May but still has its September date open. This is a tiny festival (about 500 people) in a very large area of land. It is almost entirely out in the open - there's a small stage in the bar marquee, and a speakers/storytellers stage in a small tent which would both need to be redesigned somehow. The food stalls have always had an organised queuing system in place, and with a bit of thought could handle situations as well as any café now open. Most acts are small (solo/duo/trio folkies) and the audience are very 'respectful' (old duffers like us, to be honest!) We go to this festival because it is not crowded. It has a lot of workshops, which would need some thought to coordinate, but otherwise, as a festival it probably has the best chance of any of creating a 'safe' environment.

Basically, I think that if Wood can't or won't go ahead then no-one else can, nor should they try.

Cheers

Nick

The other side to this equation of course is whether a) the performers would still like to perform, and b) whether the audience still want to attend.  You're right - Wood is exactly the kind of place (small numbers, large bit of land) where it could work.  Maybe that's the case with this one too....

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 10:52:21 AM »

One festival I am still looking out for is Wood.

... which has now postponed to May 2021.

They tried, but could not make the logistics work, even within their small and spacious framework.

Did the Clannell gathering take place?

Good luck and safe travels to those who try and gather this summer.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: