TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
July 11, 2020, 07:11:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glastonbury on the BBC 2020  (Read 1924 times)
Martin F

Loc: Bicester

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2020, 08:20:08 AM »

Has Dylan ever play Glasto?

Yes in 1998... https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bob-dylan/1998/worthy-farm-pilton-england-73d2bad1.html

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2020, 09:33:42 AM »

It's odd. Apart from a scattering of crowd photos and the odd reference in blogs, that setlist post is pretty much the only thing online that suggests he actually played...

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Bedding down in Bridport for a few months

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2020, 09:48:21 AM »

It's odd. Apart from a scattering of crowd photos and the odd reference in blogs, that setlist post is pretty much the only thing online that suggests he actually played...

He wasn't even a headliner was he?  It's in that kind of interregnum between when the festival was cool and unpopular (I mean you could just rock up and get a ticket) and when it went mental again (2000).

If you know of a nice property to rent in 'Mid Wales' (Powys really, possibly Ceredigion/Monmouthshire) for a year from Aug 2020 do please drop me a line.  Many thanks!
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 11:52:21 AM »

He wasn't even a headliner was he?  It's in that kind of interregnum between when the festival was cool and unpopular (I mean you could just rock up and get a ticket) and when it went mental again (2000).

He was in the slot that Johnny Cash had - what's now known as the Sunday Afternoon Legend slot. It was quite common for Glastonbury to put the bigger but less lively acts on the Sunday afternoon and then to let the evening tail off into a party.

I did find one article on the BBC, from before the festival and speculating that he might play (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/55804.stm) but nothing beyond a few sentences to confirm that he actually did play!

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Bedding down in Bridport for a few months

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 12:24:03 PM »

He was in the slot that Johnny Cash had - what's now known as the Sunday Afternoon Legend slot. It was quite common for Glastonbury to put the bigger but less lively acts on the Sunday afternoon and then to let the evening tail off into a party.

I did find one article on the BBC, from before the festival and speculating that he might play (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/55804.stm) but nothing beyond a few sentences to confirm that he actually did play!

It's on here.  He played!

http://www.boblinks.com/062898s.html

If you know of a nice property to rent in 'Mid Wales' (Powys really, possibly Ceredigion/Monmouthshire) for a year from Aug 2020 do please drop me a line.  Many thanks!
SteveT

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2020, 12:34:45 PM »

I was at Glasto '98 too and have a very vivid memory of it.

By Saturday night I was down to my last set of vaguely clean and dry clothes. However, whilst walking between stages through the rivers of mud, I disappeared down a hole and completely submerged!

Consequently I packed up the car on Sunday morning and drove back to Essex in my underpants  Shocked

My one regret at the time was that I didn't get to see Mr Dylan.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2020, 05:51:52 PM »

By Saturday night I was down to my last set of vaguely clean and dry clothes. However, whilst walking between stages through the rivers of mud, I disappeared down a hole and completely submerged!

Consequently I packed up the car on Sunday morning and drove back to Essex in my underpants  Shocked

No car, then?

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2020, 05:59:24 PM »

No car, then?

Havent you ever seen one? They dont half travel and the skidmarks have to be seen to be believed.  Wink

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
SteveT

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2020, 06:39:54 AM »

Cheesy
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2020, 08:29:14 AM »

There were some interesting features on the radio, too.  On Sounds of the Seventies, they assembled a ‘Fantasy Glastonbury for 1977’, using a well-chosen selection of live tracks.  Well worth a listen.
Radio 2, Sunday, 4-5 pm

I caught some of this as I'm a regular with Johnny Walker on Sunday. Some good selections there.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2020, 10:45:07 AM »

No car, then?

Havent you ever seen one? They dont half travel and the skidmarks have to be seen to be believed.  Wink
 Grin Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2020, 01:10:40 PM »

Never been to Glastonbury and not likely to now. Nothing against anyone who's appeared there or the audience who attend, it just seems too big for my liking. I would have loved to have been at the first one, though, in 1970, when, if I'm right, Stackridge opened the festival. I believe T Rex were there too, or was that 1971?

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2020, 03:41:16 AM »

Same here, mickf. Nothng about it that I've seen on television endears me to that over large capitalist mudfest.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2020, 05:00:16 PM »

1981 my one and only Glastonbury visitation and I hitched down there from the Midlands with my best friend from school- Her Auntie is Beverley Martin and she was going to be playing there. We got a lift from a dutch bloke the last bit in his VW van and were stopped by the police and questioned and searched. A scary experience in those days. I later saw one of the police disguised as a hippy in an afghan coat wondering around the festival!  It was the first CND festival and the cow shed pyramid stage had just been erected. I paid £8 for my ticket. In those days the maximum capacity was less than 20k so it never felt too crowded. There was no barrier between the crowd and the stage so you could get right up close. It was brilliant. I remember watching New order Ronnie lane and friends who replaced judy Tzuke. One of the highlights or should that be lowlights was  The fight between Ginger Baker and Roy Harper on the Friday night due to Harper over running! Hawkwind and Gong were amazing as was Taj Mahal.  It was certainly an experience for the 18 year old me!

I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour, drinking milk shakes cold and long
Smiling and waving and looking so fine, don't think
You knew you were in this song
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: