TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
July 11, 2020, 05:30:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glastonbury on the BBC 2020  (Read 1914 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« on: June 29, 2020, 10:00:18 AM »

I thought the BBC did a great job with selecting many of the acts shown from previous years to fill the gap for the cancellation of Glastonbury 2020.

Although not every act was to my taste (thank goodness), the culminating showing of Bowie from 2000 really was my favourite.

I was struck once more by the incredible band he had. Gail-Ann Dorsey is just a fabulous bass player and, for the first time I noticed she plays lead guitar for "Ashes to Ashes".

Sorry to all those outside of the UK without a VPN, but this is just a great set.

Regretfully, only a glimpse of REM in 2003, but their 1999 set was enjoyable, only a few weeks after we'd seen them en famille and bright as could be.

I've never been to Glastonbury and am unlikely to do so in the future unless I win the lottery and can go glamping. My sister went every year from its inception until 2000 when, she said, it had just overgrown (in her opinion, of course).

What acts did other people like / watch / switch off in horror?

* Bowie-at-Glasto2000.jpg (275.47 KB, 1200x574 - viewed 237 times.)

See this album  for a selection of my photos from 2010-2019.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 10:50:06 AM »

Loved the Bowie set.  Apparently he wouldn’t allow more than a few songs to be shown at the time for some reason, this was the first time the whole two hours was shown. I don’t know how he got through it having had laryngitis earlier in the week!

Well worth watching again.

I also enjoyed Brian Wilson’s set, taking me back so many decades and to Cropredy where I loved his performance (I know a lot were critical there though).

Might try a few more later.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Bedding down in Bridport for a few months

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 11:09:49 AM »

I went to 2000 for a day (as I lived in Shepton Mallet at the time and 'local' residents could get bussed in for the day).  It was hellish.  It was the year when (from memory) 120k tickets were sold and they reckon 250k people were there.  The next year the decent fence went up.

It's interesting how opinion of Bowie's set that year has 'developed' with the benefit of hindsight (as so often happens, particularly after someone dies).  At the time the critical response was at best muted and often downright hostile.

If you know of a nice property to rent in 'Mid Wales' (Powys really, possibly Ceredigion/Monmouthshire) for a year from Aug 2020 do please drop me a line.  Many thanks!
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 11:18:34 AM »

Recorded the Bowie set. Missed most of the coverage - caught a few minutes of REM - with the recently departed Bill (Willyfred) Rieflin on drums - which made "Everybody Hurts" rather poignant, for me at least.  Cry

Said the straight man, to the late man...
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 11:58:57 AM »

Bruuuuuuuuuce was on form, my wife made me sit through Adele and I'd forgotten what a potty-mouthed car crash it was.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 12:05:06 PM »

What acts did other people like / watch / switch off in horror?

We had a very enjoyable teatime in front of the ‘Legends’ slot, and enjoyed (at least the start of) Beyoncé’s show, a bit of Lizzo, (old) Coldplay, Springsteen, Foo Fighters and REM but, as David says, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Amy Winehouse performing ‘Rehab’ perhaps isn’t quite as sassy as it once was.
Whether you agree with the BBC’s extensive (and expensive) coverage devoted to one festival out of the thousands that are out there or not you’d have to agree that they’ve built up quite the archive. I could do without Jo Whiley’s soporific tones, but I could listen to Lauren Laverne - who, let’s not forget, has actually played the main stage - all day.
No offence to The Ginger Prince of Framlingham, but it was a bit of a non event to follow one of the most lauded sets of (relatively) recent times with Ed Sheeran’s one man and his pedals act at that time on a Sunday night, which is when we bailed.

Regarding the ‘other festivals are available’ point, Lord Barchester (10) can’t see the point of Glastonbury as at the ones we go to “You can easily get to the food stalls.”

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 12:18:46 PM »

I watched some of the stuff on BBC4 including Toots and the Maytals on Friday night - as someone on Twitter commented it was "a masterclass in how to do a festival set. Wonderful." And last night Nile Rodgers and Chic with various songs by other artists he's written for or produced including Let's Dance with the drummer on lead vocals. Apart from that, a half hour last night of some acoustic selections from the likes of Rag N Bone Man and Cyndi Lauper doing Time After Time.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 01:10:04 PM »

The most interesting part for us was to see Julian Temple's documentary again. This gets very close to the heart of what Glastonbury was and how it became what it's become.

for me it really highlights the difference between pre and post millenium. Sets of the 80s and 90s were like club gigs; rustic and communal. After 2000 it's all in the lights and the scale, and the massive distance between the crowd and performer. I went to almost all Glastonburys from 87 to 03 and really felt this change, like it morphed from a community into an art gallery.

Favourite sets? Most of mine were pre saturation-TV so probably don't exist in any form that could be shown now - Fela Kuti, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Johnny Cash, Gil Scott Heron, Michael Franti, Peter Gabriel, The Orb, Leftfield, Banco De Gaia, Bjork like a streak of lightning in a pink dress, Penguin Café Orchestra, pretty much any and every Suzanne Vega and Waterboys appearance...

'98 is probably the year I'd most like to see footage from. I would like to see the ankle-deep-in-the-mud Dylan set again as it seemed surprisingly cheerful for him at the time, and Tori Amos in a white dress and wellies, oh, and Portishead finally getting to appear after midnight after getting their van stranded in the mud was a remarkable experience. If you get the chance to see anything of any of those, they'll come with my recommendation.

Also, if Foo Fighters' '98 set was filmed I would kind of like to see it. The rain was so bad at that point that we hid in the tent and prayed it remained waterproof. We could just about hear them play over the downpour but had no intention of peaking out to see for even a second.

Of the earlier sets that do get shown on TV; Radiohead's '97 set was literally the only bright spot in an otherwise completely forgettable festival. It may suffer from the same rose-tinted view that people ascribe to Bowie's set but I think both have deserved all the praise they've had for them. (And I did think Bowie was good at the time. I'm not a Bowie fan, but came away feeling really made up after that night. I only have one of his albums, and that is the live recording of that set...) Levellers were the true Glastonbury band of the 90s though. The '92 set was a belter; they were on the rise then and caught the mainstream by surprise, and their '94 set is a storming, crowning glory appearance. Oh, and REM were awesome in both '99 and '03. I've been reminding myself of that this weekend.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 01:12:08 PM »

No offence to The Ginger Prince of Framlingham, but it was a bit of a non event to follow one of the most lauded sets of (relatively) recent times with Ed Sheeran’s one man and his pedals act at that time on a Sunday night, which is when we bailed.

I have a lot of time for Ed Sheeran's work ethic, but perhaps less time for the actual sounds that he produces. I treated that performance as a "Time for bed, you've got work in the morning" signal...

YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 01:18:56 PM »

It's interesting how opinion of Bowie's set that year has 'developed' with the benefit of hindsight (as so often happens, particularly after someone dies).  At the time the critical response was at best muted and often downright hostile.

I seem to remember it being a bit of a surprise when the musos were dismissive. Everybody else loved what little we saw. Maybe at the time he wasn't in f-f-f-f-fashion.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 01:47:47 PM »

Some very good some very bad. I'd forgotten just how boring and pointless Shaft was.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 02:04:30 PM »

I was always a fan of the 2000 Bowie set. Having said that, until last night I only had the audio for the whole set as the TV broadcast coverage was only an hour's worth, even when rebroadcast in 2019.

I thought some of the legend sets were great - Sir Tom Jones for one, but Tony Bennett and Burley Chassis left me cold. As for James Brown... a set that would have been better viewed in the 1960s or 70s in Atlanta's Fox Theatre rather than with the sensibilities of the 21st century. IMHO, of course. Sir Percy of Plant's rebroadcast set this weekend was a waste of photons for me. Mind you I was similarly disappointed when we saw him in Carmarthen in the last few years. Dire, for me, but others loved it so, YMMV. I saw Led Zep in their pomp at Knebworth, all else is dross. I found Amy Winehouse unwatchable and unbearably sad, this weekend. What a bloody waste.

Since I've only ever seen Glasto on the box, I missed out on the mud and rain, so my viewpoint is skewed differently to attendees. I still have video of an Orbital set that was brilliant for TV but moist for the attendee.

One abiding memory for me of this weekend was seeing gigs from long ago and realising that the artists were either aged now or retired or dead. Most discomforting.

Incidentally, I like Adele and her potty mouth and I think that her voice will improve with the years now her vocal chord problems are behind her. I look forward to her next album, already recorded I understand, but the release date of Sept 20 may well be put back.

It's worth noting that all of the Glasto programmes from this weekend and more are available on the BBC iPlayer Glastonbury Channel for the next 28 days.

See this album  for a selection of my photos from 2010-2019.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 02:12:28 PM »

Incidentally, I like Adele and her potty mouth and I think that her voice will improve with the years now her vocal chord problems are behind her. I look forward to her next album, already recorded I understand, but the release date of Sept 20 may well be put back.

Sorry to wander off topic but in an era when the majority of sales will be downloads or streams which can be acquired without leaving one's chair and there is no need to ship physical product (unless you are Bob Dylan or Neil Young) I don't understand why so many release schedules are getting pushed back as a result of the current unpleasantness. It maybe made sense for Willie Nelson but surely less so for Adele.

Back on topic...er...I can't. I didn't see any of it. Sorry.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2020, 02:14:34 PM »

I seem to remember it being a bit of a surprise when the musos were dismissive. Everybody else loved what little we saw. Maybe at the time he wasn't in f-f-f-f-fashion.

Bowie was going through a drum n bass phase at the time, and people were worried he'd "do the new stuff"...

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 03:42:18 PM »

Bowie was going through a drum n bass phase at the time, and people were worried he'd "do the new stuff"...

I think it's more that people were missing Tin Machine myself...

If you know of a nice property to rent in 'Mid Wales' (Powys really, possibly Ceredigion/Monmouthshire) for a year from Aug 2020 do please drop me a line.  Many thanks!
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 06:47:06 PM »

Has Dylan ever play Glasto?
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2020, 06:59:49 PM »

I went to almost all Glastonburys from 87 to 03 and really felt this change, like it morphed from a community into an art gallery.

Went to most of the 90's ones and again for the (more than likely) last time in 2000 and never been able to put the change into words. You've hit the nail right on the head there Nick, I'll probably steal this in the future.  Wink

Only watched Arthur Lee and Love so far, great stuff. Had a few opportunities to see him and always thought, I'll catch him next time.  Cry

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2020, 07:26:10 PM »

And the very best thing amongst the hundreds of sets on iPlayer?  That would be Kate Tempest's sublime set from last year.

blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2020, 07:31:16 PM »

The most interesting part for us was to see Julian Temple's documentary again. This gets very close to the heart of what Glastonbury was and how it became what it's become.

for me it really highlights the difference between pre and post millenium. Sets of the 80s and 90s were like club gigs; rustic and communal. After 2000 it's all in the lights and the scale, and the massive distance between the crowd and performer. I went to almost all Glastonburys from 87 to 03 and really felt this change, like it morphed from a community into an art gallery.

Favourite sets? Most of mine were pre saturation-TV so probably don't exist in any form that could be shown now - Fela Kuti, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Johnny Cash, Gil Scott Heron, Michael Franti, Peter Gabriel, The Orb, Leftfield, Banco De Gaia, Bjork like a streak of lightning in a pink dress, Penguin Café Orchestra, pretty much any and every Suzanne Vega and Waterboys appearance...

'98 is probably the year I'd most like to see footage from. I would like to see the ankle-deep-in-the-mud Dylan set again as it seemed surprisingly cheerful for him at the time, and Tori Amos in a white dress and wellies, oh, and Portishead finally getting to appear after midnight after getting their van stranded in the mud was a remarkable experience. If you get the chance to see anything of any of those, they'll come with my recommendation.

Also, if Foo Fighters' '98 set was filmed I would kind of like to see it. The rain was so bad at that point that we hid in the tent and prayed it remained waterproof. We could just about hear them play over the downpour but had no intention of peaking out to see for even a second.

Of the earlier sets that do get shown on TV; Radiohead's '97 set was literally the only bright spot in an otherwise completely forgettable festival. It may suffer from the same rose-tinted view that people ascribe to Bowie's set but I think both have deserved all the praise they've had for them. (And I did think Bowie was good at the time. I'm not a Bowie fan, but came away feeling really made up after that night. I only have one of his albums, and that is the live recording of that set...) Levellers were the true Glastonbury band of the 90s though. The '92 set was a belter; they were on the rise then and caught the mainstream by surprise, and their '94 set is a storming, crowning glory appearance. Oh, and REM were awesome in both '99 and '03. I've been reminding myself of that this weekend.

Cheers

Nick

Obviously has then ... not sure why I can't recall it?
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 12:48:53 AM »

There were some interesting features on the radio, too.  On Sounds of the Seventies, they assembled a ‘Fantasy Glastonbury for 1977’, using a well-chosen selection of live tracks.  Well worth a listen.
Radio 2, Sunday, 4-5 pm

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: