TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
January 28, 2022, 01:50:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Albion Band Chatter  (Read 12369 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2020, 05:13:50 PM »

That's beyond debate - along with RultS arguably the highlight of the whole thing.  Although if we're being absolutely pedantic it isn't actually by the Albion Band, it's by the Albion Dance Band... Undecided

I think of that original run, Battle of the Field is the other masterpiece for me. I would put it above Prospect.

I can't take any credit for starting the thread by the way. I was just commenting in Listening To. Somebody else has hived it off into its own thing but thanks to whoever did that.

Somewhere in the archive is a very long thread about Albions recommendations which I did start when I was first getting into them a decade ago or so. Well worth a read if it is still available and it was hugely valuable to me on my voyage of Albion discovery.

Awesome...but that's the ACB!

I don't distinguish. ICB, ADB, AB, they are all iterations of the Albion Band.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2020, 05:46:40 PM »

That's beyond debate - along with RultS arguably the highlight of the whole thing.  Although if we're being absolutely pedantic it isn't actually by the Albion Band, it's by the Albion Dance Band... Undecided

I think of that original run, Battle of the Field is the other masterpiece for me. I would put it above Prospect.

I can't take any credit for starting the thread by the way. I was just commenting in Listening To. Somebody else has hived it off into its own thing but thanks to whoever did that.

Somewhere in the archive is a very long thread about Albions recommendations which I did start when I was first getting into them a decade ago or so. Well worth a read if it is still available and it was hugely valuable to me on my voyage of Albion discovery.

Awesome...but that's the ACB!

Same-I don't distinguish either and long ago changed artist name in Itunes to a generic The Albion Band, and Ashley Hutchings instead of all the versions and one offs (in the case of Ashley). Much easier to sort through them that way. In my head I know the differences. As to the catalog, I think I also agree with Al on my favorite eras. I think the difference in experience with Battle Of The Field versus 'Prospect' is in the size of the band. Battle feels more like a cohesive unit versus the huge group that played on Prospect. Personally I liked the acoustic albums and though I like the songs on Albion Heart a lot, I felt they were missing a 'folk' instrument such as either a fiddle or accordion as Acousticity and Demi Paradise both had. Not a fan of much of the Lesurf stuff, though there are a few moments such as The Rose & The Rock that I enjoy. Funnily enough I just played The Wild Side Of Town the other day. I think the entire album had good intentions but does come off rather preachy. I love Ken Nicol's guitar playing but his voice, not so much so the albums he was a part of don't hold too much interest. If I had to pick one though it would be Road Movies. Finally let me just say that it was a shame that the songs that made their way to Captured with Julie Matthews in a more 'electric' setting are fabulous. What a shame this band never really 'was' because I think they had something.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2020, 06:07:39 PM »

It's this kind of liberal wishy washiness with the truth that has got us into this bloody mess....  Wink Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2020, 06:27:02 PM »

It's this kind of liberal wishy washiness with the truth that has got us into this bloody mess....  Wink Grin

Wishy washy? Namby pamby maybe but wishy washy?  Wink
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2020, 07:23:53 PM »

I think my next stop for all things AH are the Grandson and Great-Grandson of Morris On albums.

Having loved MO and Son of, i was quite excited about Grandson but found it flat and uninspiring after its Dad and granda
I had hoped great grandson would be a return to the family values but i thought it had inherited its pappy's failings and some more.
Its been some years since i listened to them and might give them a quick spin to confirm or otherwise my thoughts on them.

The Dude abides
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2020, 06:03:23 PM »

You might find this interesting
http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/AlbionBand1978-04-28LondonUK.asx

London being the Cottesloe Theatre!!!
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2020, 09:50:55 PM »

I think my next stop for all things AH are the Grandson and Great-Grandson of Morris On albums.

Having loved MO and Son of, i was quite excited about Grandson but found it flat and uninspiring after its Dad and granda
I had hoped great grandson would be a return to the family values but i thought it had inherited its pappy's failings and some more.
Its been some years since i listened to them and might give them a quick spin to confirm or otherwise my thoughts on them.

I thought they were a really decent stab at updating the concept. Different strokes and all that.  Smiley
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2020, 11:55:19 AM »

I haven't got round to Grandson or Great-Grandson yet - both are on Spotify so I'll take a listen there. I did however order Morris On The Road and the Magic of Morris from Talking Elephant. I've just had an email saying that the Magic of Morris is out of stock (again, its on Spotify) and a refund has been given, but they are sending me a signed copy of Morris On The Road and a free signed copy of the Wings single. TE have their detractors on here, but their customer service has been excellent.
Brian Green

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2020, 01:09:52 PM »

I brought a number of CDs from the recent Talking Elephant Ashley Hutchings sale.
I found the service to be excellent.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2020, 01:25:49 PM »

I brought a number of CDs from the recent Talking Elephant Ashley Hutchings sale.
I found the service to be excellent.

The service is good and they are nice fellas. It is just that some of their releases border on fraudulent. Vintage Albions On The Road Vol 2 for example is more or less a reissue of the BBC Sessions album but does not acknowledge the fact and indeed was not therefore recorded on the road. Gone Missing is largely sourced from As You Like It, By Gloucester Docks Live and I Got New Shoes but once again does not acknowledge the fact. Unfortunately Ashley hhas been complicit in these releases which leaves a bad taste for fans who end up buying material they already have because of the lack of transparency.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2020, 03:53:20 PM »

I gave in and bought The Mother of all Morris and the Guvnor's 50th Birthday Bash today.

I do wish they'd learn from their errors on the album information though - they've been doing it so long, they must have heard us complaining!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2020, 05:44:13 PM »

I have been trying to find out whether the TV series “Ridge Riders” is available in any format but I have drawn a blank.
It was broadcast by Meridian TV in the south during the late 1990s.
It was presented by Nick Knowles and covered a motorcycle tour of the Ridgeway. Each episode featured a song by the Albion Band.
I have found that there is an album of the music, but very little information about the TV programme.
I’m beginning to think I imagined it, as there isn’t even an entry on IMDB!
Anyone else remember it?

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2020, 06:01:36 PM »

I have been trying to find out whether the TV series “Ridge Riders” is available in any format but I have drawn a blank.
It was presented by Nick Knowles and covered a motorcycle tour of the Ridgeway. Each episode featured a song by the Albion Band.
I have found that there is an album of the music, but very little information about the TV programme.
Anyone else remember it?

There's clips on Youtube, so you didn't imagine it..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKldokD7nY0

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2020, 06:21:37 PM »

Anyone else remember it?

The album is actually by The Ridgeriders (who are Ashley, Chris While and Phil Beer) with The Albion Band and Julie Matthews . The other Albions on the album are Joe Broughton, Neil Marshall, Ken Nicol and Simon Nicol. I bought the album at a RR trio gig.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2020, 06:24:26 PM »

Chris and Julies' Parties on the Lawn were of course on the Ridgeway.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2020, 06:29:19 PM »

Thanks for the info!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2020, 07:16:00 PM »

Talking Elephant have a "best of" the Ridgeriders CD available, which - I'm assuming - is a combination of a studio album and live set. Regardless, it's twenty seven songs long and highly enjoyable.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2020, 12:24:45 PM »

Yes, there were originally two albums - the first a compilation of songs used in the series, and the second a live one, which have now been combined into the compilation.  I never saw the series, but when I first got the cd of the songs I loved it from the first time I heard it and played it over and over.

I never saw them doing it live - I once had tickets to a concert, and then had to make a work trip so gave the tickets to a friend.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2021, 07:13:14 PM »

Here's something you almost certainly never knew you actually wanted to hear...a 2021 version of (Love is Like a) Railway Station by the mighty Owl Service featuring Alison (Mellow Candle) O'Donnell.  Better than the original say I (whilst still not being totally on board...)  Smiley

https://theowlservice.bandcamp.com/album/love-is-like-a-railway-station?fbclid=IwAR2WKe_yNaix5SREf-HD8axvgpu8MUyVC00b5lMjW4dy7qCCIcpOHnS3q50

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2021, 09:46:52 AM »

Not quite convinced by the Owl Service version - I actually quite like the Albions one.  Though I am traumatised all over again by watching them miming to it on the youtube link (I think I saw the clip once before but had managed to to erase it from my memory!).

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: