TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 25, 2020, 07:59:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gilmore and Roberts  (Read 1436 times)
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« on: March 21, 2020, 09:52:49 AM »

I know there are people on TAW who enjoy their music. they have a patreon offer at the moment which I guess could to be vital to their survival. Prices go from £6 to £10 a month for a range of benefits including exclusive material. Hope it's OK to post a link here, thought folks might be interested

https://www.patreon.com/gilmoreroberts

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 10:30:05 AM »

They have given me so much joy over the last decade. I signed up immediately.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 12:21:50 PM »

They have given me so much joy over the last decade. I signed up immediately.

Likewise. They're one of my favourite folk duos. First saw Kat when she was in Tiny Tin Lady. More than happy to sign up to this.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 06:00:34 PM »

I don't want to keep banging on about this but never having tried the patron route before I thought I'd give some feedback. For my £6 a month, Kat and Jamie have been absolutely fab in trying to offer something for my support. There's been a wonderful interactive 'live' gig with requests, stories behind the songs, a really lovely video by Kat about a personal song to her and a fabulous hour and a half Q+A session where they shared so much about themselves and how they write songs etc. Somehow I now feel so much more connected with them and their music as a result. As a way forward I think it really is a great way to engage people with artists. Has anyone else experience of supporting an artist this way?
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 07:57:48 PM »

I don't want to keep banging on about this but never having tried the patron route before I thought I'd give some feedback. For my £6 a month, Kat and Jamie have been absolutely fab in trying to offer something for my support. There's been a wonderful interactive 'live' gig with requests, stories behind the songs, a really lovely video by Kat about a personal song to her and a fabulous hour and a half Q+A session where they shared so much about themselves and how they write songs etc. Somehow I now feel so much more connected with them and their music as a result. As a way forward I think it really is a great way to engage people with artists. Has anyone else experience of supporting an artist this way?

Yes it has been a joy with GnR so far. I have not consumed it all immediately because of personal circumstances over the last couple of weeks but caught up with everything I had missed last night. Missing from your list was their lovely cover of Angel From Montgomery in tribute to the late John Prine. I am really keen to explore some of the albums/artists they were mentioning as influences on the Q&A. I hope they publish a list on Patreon as promised.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 09:55:48 PM »

Yes it has been a joy with GnR so far. I have not consumed it all immediately because of personal circumstances over the last couple of weeks but caught up with everything I had missed last night. Missing from your list was their lovely cover of Angel From Montgomery in tribute to the late John Prine. I am really keen to explore some of the albums/artists they were mentioning as influences on the Q&A. I hope they publish a list on Patreon as promised.

I wish i had heard that cover, it's come up 3 times by different people including RT in the last week. I guess artists have a right to be enjoyed and experieneced through their output or art and have a right to hide their personal lives from the public. But how much more GnR have drawn me into their world, I feel I care about about them in a new way. I'm sure not all artists would want it but the folk world is more family orientated and it suits GnR perfectly.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 12:16:32 PM »

My first experience with Patreon was with an American musician who mainly records covers - to a very high standard - but quit after a while as it was obvious he had plenty of supporters and was not sort of money. Fair play to him, it looked like that was his main source of income as he didn't seem to go out on the road very much.

But I agree with the comments about Kat & Jamie (GnR makes me think of Guns n Roses!). They're making good use of it and it will hopefully see them through this difficult time until they can start gigging again. I've messaged them direct and have had really nice messages back. Katriona opening up about her mental health issues stuck a chord with me as I've been there too and know how therapeutic music can be.

Edgelarks have set up a subscription option on Bandcamp as an alternative to Patreon. I haven't signed up but last week I bought their latest cd and the two Gigspanner Big Band ones.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 09:01:16 PM »

Katriona and Jamie are doing a live facebook gig on Wednesday and it's free with donations invited and a great charity supported. I've pasted below the ad they sent out. Their online gigs have been amazing recently.

Join us on Wednesday 16th September at 8pm BST for an hour of music on our Facebook page. There's no 'ticket charge but there will be a virtual tip jar, and we'll be sending 50% of any donations to domestic violence support charity Refuge.
If you'd like to be instrumental in helping us choose some songs for the setlist, head over to the event page and mark yourself as 'going' or 'interested' to receive updates and vote for your favourite songs, and please do share the event with family and friends who may enjoy watching too.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: