TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 30, 2020, 02:27:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cancelled Gigs  (Read 4742 times)
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2020, 05:08:42 PM »

Is it realistic to expect everything to return to normal as early as July?

Yes and no.

The theory is that the virus will spread less easily in warmer weather and our resilience to infection will be a little better. This should mean that outbreaks are much less likely, and a given crowd is much less likely to contain the virus.

However … The virus will not go away entirely over the summer. The probability of infection that should go down but not to zero. Also, this is just a theory. There's not enough evidence yet as to how Covid-19 responds to warmer weather.

Also, it is extremely unlikely there will be a vaccine available by the summer. It is anticipated that vaccinations might not be possible until next year. So people will still be able to catch the virus in the summer, and if they do they will still get sick from it.

I think the notion of opening up restrictions in the summer is a hope that the Northern Hemisphere at least will get a period of relief before next autumn and winter's onslaught begins.

Cheers

Nick

...putting the finishing touchés on some witty ripostes
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2020, 06:17:47 PM »

Yes and no.

The theory is that the virus will spread less easily in warmer weather and our resilience to infection will be a little better. This should mean that outbreaks are much less likely, and a given crowd is much less likely to contain the virus.

However … The virus will not go away entirely over the summer. The probability of infection that should go down but not to zero. Also, this is just a theory. There's not enough evidence yet as to how Covid-19 responds to warmer weather.

Also, it is extremely unlikely there will be a vaccine available by the summer. It is anticipated that vaccinations might not be possible until next year. So people will still be able to catch the virus in the summer, and if they do they will still get sick from it.

I think the notion of opening up restrictions in the summer is a hope that the Northern Hemisphere at least will get a period of relief before next autumn and winter's onslaught begins.

Cheers

Nick

I would just add that I think the hope (but not guarantee) is that some form of therapeutic breakthrough will take place much earlier than the vaccine. This is also being worked on but the history of this virus is still only a liile over two months. By July we will be a further three to four months down the line and hopefull most countries will be where China is now or a little beyond by then, i.e. with minimal new daily infections with in excess of 80% of recorded infections having recovered. But the vaccine is ultimately key because all of the time that the virus exists, it has the potential to spread fast unless there is an immunity build up which nobody is certain about.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2020, 06:43:49 PM »

I was delivering IT training at a biotechnology company last week, where I heard the views of some very knowledgeable people, i.e.: it's possible that a hot summer will dramatically reduce the virus infections but by no means certain, there just isn't enough evidence yet  - and we don't know how hot the summer will be.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2020, 07:52:37 PM »

Bury Met is closed for the foreseeable, which means no trip up there on thursday to see the mighty Daoiri Farrell.
But better safe than sorry and hopefully when the all clear is sounded there will be plenty more chances to see him perform.

The Dude abides
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2020, 09:58:25 PM »

Guessing now that Cropredy this year is by no means guaranteed despite it being still some 4 months away?

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Paul
I've Got A Bike

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2020, 10:00:03 PM »

All Hampshire's cultural venues are now shut. Sadly this means that the New Theatre Royal has postponed Aida by Russian Opera. Great shame. For a start I love the opera, and secondly, I want to see how on earth they fit a full orchestra in the tiny pit.

It also means we are unable to rehearse Ruddigore, so it is postponed, possibly for a whole year. I had nearly learnt my lines, and was looking forward to being a ghost.

Paul

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2020, 09:50:52 AM »

Guessing now that Cropredy this year is by no means guaranteed despite it being still some 4 months away?

This was shared on the Fairport website yesterday:

As you will doubtless have heard, on Monday 16 March Boris Johnson announced new stringent measures to tackle the Covid-19 outbreak.

Fortunately, Cropredy comes at the end of the summer – still five months away - and the situation may be different by then. So at this stage we still plan to stage our festival as usual.

In recent years Cropredy has survived foot and mouth, avian flu, swine fever, SARS and, last year, the gales which disrupted so many other events. This year we will do our utmost to keep the show on the road.

We’ll share further updates about our plans on Twitter, Facebook, our website and our e-newsletters.

Meanwhile, look after yourselves, follow public health advice and keep washing those hands. We look forward to seeing you in the field in August.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2020, 10:53:03 AM »

Oxford May Day celebrations cancelled.

DW
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2020, 11:06:18 AM »

Glastonbury has cancelled...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/mar/18/glastonbury-festival-postponed-due-to-coronavirus

Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2020, 11:13:29 AM »

No surprise that all parkruns are cancelled for the time being. Not exactly a gig but they serve a similar purpose in giving enjoyment and social interaction as well as the exercise.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2020, 11:22:11 AM »

In recent years Cropredy has survived foot and mouth, avian flu, swine fever, SARS and, last year, the gales which disrupted so many other events. This year we will do our utmost to keep the show on the road.

That's some Bulldog spirit guys!!!!

Like the front page of the Star said today "Stick it up yer virus!"
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2020, 02:42:11 PM »

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets tour in April/May rescheduled to October.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Bedding down in Bridport for a few months

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2020, 02:48:54 PM »

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets tour in April/May rescheduled to October.

Guildford is the last night of the tour now.  Looking forward to this greatly (slight return).

If you know of a nice property to rent in 'Mid Wales' (Powys really, possibly Ceredigion/Monmouthshire) for a year from Aug 2020 do please drop me a line.  Many thanks!
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2020, 02:59:33 PM »

Looks like rescheduled dates for Saucerful in London and Southampton are still being worked on.
From my notification email:
October 2020:
   Thu 01 - Bath Forum
   Sun 04 - York Barbican
   Mon 05 - Cardiff St David's Hall
   Wed 07 - Gateshead' Sage
   Thu 08 - Edinburgh Usher Hall
   Fri 09 - Manchester O2 Apollo
   Sun 11 - Oxford New Theatre
   Mon 12 - Leicester De Montfort Hall
   Wed 14 - Sheffield City Hall
   Thu 15 - Ipswich Regent
   Fri 16 - Liverpool Philharmonic
   Mon 19 - Brighton Dome
   Thu 22 - Birmingham Symphony Hall
   Sat 24 - Guildford G Live
   All tickets remain valid.
   Customers are advised to retain their tickets and ticket confirmations
   at this
   time.
   We are currently working on re-scheduled dates for the shows in London
   &
   Southampton. Customers are advised to retain their tickets and ticket
   confirmations at this time. More information will be announced in the
   near
   future on these rescheduled shows.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2020, 03:05:50 PM »

Cambridge Corn Exchange and The Junction have closed. They are trying to reschedule gigs.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Local Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2020, 04:10:31 PM »

Cecil Sharp House has cancelled all gigs.

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2020, 05:57:46 PM »

Think it’s safe to say that every music/entertainment venue has or is closing for a couple of months at least. All the venues I regularly go to certainly have. Just hoping we get over this by the summer since being one of the “vulnerable” group being on immuno-suppressant medication means that I can’t go and see people at all for around 12 weeks as I have to be “shielded”! Have to say I’m already struggling to deal with this but have no choice

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2020, 08:27:39 PM »

ALL OF THEM

Now be thankful for good things below
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2020, 09:00:21 PM »

Though its not at all the same thing, I am very thankful for some of the online shows artists are now performing. Right now two artists I know are doing something cool just to keep us locked in to things other than the news. Texas guitar slinger Jackie Venson is performing a live stream every night via FB. Sometimes its a little loose...but when she gets going, man is it good! Also this Thursday, I will be 'attending' by way of a paid donation to Raye Zaragoza's concert she has billed as her SXSW performance...since that was cancelled. So it is a pay what you want donation and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2020, 11:03:39 PM »

I am very thankful for some of the online shows artists are now performing.

This is becoming quite the thing. I've enjoyed shows by Bryde and Tom Williams in the last day or so. Perhaps this should be the new thread...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: