TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 31, 2020, 04:28:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cancelled Gigs  (Read 4816 times)
vince42

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2020, 09:46:24 PM »

I think it's a reflection of the evolving situation.

Last week the advice was different - in Scotland which had the more draconian measure of banning public gatherings of more than 500 people - many gigs were certainly on.

A lot changes in a week - I can only hope that in the coming months a lot changes for the better.

I'm still ok for toilet rolls despite not being able to buy any for over a week...

Vince
Martin F

Loc: Bicester

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2020, 02:42:42 AM »

I'm due to see Maria McKee at the end of the month & unless she or the venue cancels I'll be there.
I'll probably drive into London rather than take public transport, but I'll be there.

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2020, 04:08:16 AM »

It'll be cancelled. In a month the graphs will still be rising rapidly.

See this album  for a selection of my photos from 2010-2019.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2020, 06:38:08 AM »

The Lark Ascending - including Vashti Bunyan is currently postponed till the end of September currently Rowan Rhienghans is still on at Leeds on Sunday but I imagine that may change

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Martin F

Loc: Bicester

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2020, 07:43:28 AM »

It'll be cancelled. In a month the graphs will still be rising rapidly.

I fully expect it to be cancelled.

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
garrypbrooks

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2020, 08:39:02 AM »

I think it's a reflection of the evolving situation.

Last week the advice was different - in Scotland which had the more draconian measure of banning public gatherings of more than 500 people - many gigs were certainly on.

A lot changes in a week - I can only hope that in the coming months a lot changes for the better.

I'm still ok for toilet rolls despite not being able to buy any for over a week...

Vince

Amongst the inevitable selections of conspiracy theories on Covid-19 doing the rounds on Twitter  is one that George Soros is somehow behind it.

In response, someone tweeted "maybe Soros has bought up all the toilet rolls"

Still, at least the beer shelves in out local supermarkets are very well stacked so I can enjoy a few pints even if I have to wipe my bottom with yesterday's newspaper.
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2020, 08:53:37 AM »

… or today's, if it's the S*n!!  Wink

Said the straight man, to the late man...
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Bedding down in Bridport for a few months

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2020, 10:05:53 AM »

I'm due to see Maria McKee at the end of the month & unless she or the venue cancels I'll be there.
I'll probably drive into London rather than take public transport, but I'll be there.

This is exactly the kind of attitude which will very selfishly put vulnerable people at even greater danger.  The advice from the Chief Medical Officer is to avoid doing exactly this.  How about doing what we're told by those who are better informed than us?  Just a random thought....

If you know of a nice property to rent in 'Mid Wales' (Powys really, possibly Ceredigion/Monmouthshire) for a year from Aug 2020 do please drop me a line.  Many thanks!
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2020, 10:52:45 AM »

The Maltings at Farnham has shut its doors for now.  The West End Center (and other Hampshire Cultural Trust venues) are still currently open.  I would be there today for a class but I am expecting to need to collect my 86 year old mum from the Airport on Saturday morning, so doing a bit of distancing for now.

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2020, 12:34:06 PM »

Lindisfarne have cancelled their tour that was due to begin on Friday at Porthcawl, with a promise to reschedule. Some of the band must be in the 'vulnerable' over 70 bracket!

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2020, 12:59:41 PM »

This is exactly the kind of attitude which will very selfishly put vulnerable people at even greater danger.  The advice from the Chief Medical Officer is to avoid doing exactly this.  How about doing what we're told by those who are better informed than us?  Just a random thought....

But this is where the government have been irresponsible and cowardly. What they should be doing is closing venues by decree like almost every other European nation but they have left the decisions in the hands of the venues, the artists and the customers because the government doesn't want to foot the bill. It is disgraceful.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2020, 01:38:41 PM »

But this is where the government have been irresponsible and cowardly. What they should be doing is closing venues by decree like almost every other European nation but they have left the decisions in the hands of the venues, the artists and the customers because the government doesn't want to foot the bill. It is disgraceful.

I agree, the government is still being a bit wishy-washy with its advice even down to personal advice. I am assuming I come under the vulnerable group being type 1 diabetic with blood pressure controlled with medication and having had a kidney transplant but I’ve not been told anything official. As for venues both Colchester Arts Centre and Witham Public Hall where I help out are closing to mid-April. Think they have little choice though

Born to Run (but not very fast)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2020, 02:08:20 PM »

I agree absolutely, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't show personally responsibility ourselves.

If you know of a nice property to rent in 'Mid Wales' (Powys really, possibly Ceredigion/Monmouthshire) for a year from Aug 2020 do please drop me a line.  Many thanks!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2020, 02:08:58 PM »

I agree, the government is still being a bit wishy-washy with its advice even down to personal advice. I am assuming I come under the vulnerable group being type 1 diabetic with blood pressure controlled with medication and having had a kidney transplant but I’ve not been told anything official. As for venues both Colchester Arts Centre and Witham Public Hall where I help out are closing to mid-April. Think they have little choice though

The official advice is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2020, 02:45:21 PM »

Thanks for the above David. By that list I come under at least 3 categories so I guess I’ll just have to hibernate for the next 3 months. Still I’ve got a big pile of CDs still to listen to that I received for my birthday  Grin

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2020, 03:23:38 PM »

The Sage has cancelled everything until further notice. Roll Eyes Sad
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2020, 03:42:14 PM »

I have cancelled the open mic night I run here in Suffolk, I am gutted, its my stress buster
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2020, 04:22:37 PM »

No English Touring Opera in Buxton for me  Sad
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2020, 04:51:52 PM »

My April 2020 gigs in Austin are being rescheduled now.

Monkees (Mike and Mickey) moved from mid-April to July 27. I hope the schedulers are not being overly optimistic. Is it realistic to expect everything to return to normal as early as July? (Folks are whispering about canceling the 2020 election in November...)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2020, 04:56:14 PM »

My April 2020 gigs in Austin are being rescheduled now.

Monkees (Mike and Mickey) moved from mid-April to July 27. I hope the schedulers are not being overly optimistic. Is it realistic to expect everything to return to normal as early as July? (Folks are whispering about canceling the 2020 election in November...)

I bet they are!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: