TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 19, 2020, 11:30:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cancelled Gigs  (Read 7723 times)
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« on: March 14, 2020, 06:42:51 AM »

This is really becoming a depressingly familiar trend right now, even for smaller gigs.  I’ve just had a second cancellation this week – Wizz Jones at Walthamstow Folk Club tomorrow.  Sad not to be able to see him, but hardly surprising and I can certainly appreciate how risky it could be for an 80-year-old performer to carry out gigs in the current circumstances.  Get well soon, Wizz!

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 08:18:24 AM »

Abingdon has had its Atom Festival cancelled /postponed. Lots of activities, interactive exhibits, talks and shows cancelled. Was particularly looking forward to seeing talks by Richard Wiseman and Helen Czerski...

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 01:25:22 PM »

Gaz Brookfield has cancelled all his gigs.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 09:42:04 PM »

Fish has cancelled the rest of his tour after the opening gig.

Well I never did..
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 12:09:38 AM »

I was supposed to see Cuban jazz pianist Roberto Fonseca tonight with my girl at Joe's Pub in Manhattan but it was cancelled during the week. I have seen at least one artist who was supposed to play at the cancelled South By Southwest Festival planning virtual gigs for a donation, which I plan on doing. Not at all the same of course, but if it helps if even a small way artists recoup some losses, I'm all for it.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 09:04:54 AM »

Not intending to be controversial but maybe we could see this as an opportunity to see some young up and coming bands, though it will depend on what the government considers mass gatherings.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 03:50:28 PM »

We've just been informed that Trad Arrr @ St Ediths, Sevenoaks on 3 April has been cancelled & assured that our tickets will be refunded.
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 05:24:17 PM »

Not intending to be controversial but maybe we could see this as an opportunity to see some young up and coming bands, though it will depend on what the government considers mass gatherings.

It depends on the age of audience - this afternoon’s very enjoyable gig by Alden Patterson and Dashwood was one where apart from a couple of children (presumably dragged along by their parents) the audience was older than the band, considerably so in many cases. These will be the people told not to go out. Difficult times ahead for all concerned.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 07:55:52 PM »

All venues in Austin, Texas with greater than 250-person capacity have been closed until May 1, unless the order is rescinded earlier. Live music is pretty much over for the next six weeks, unless you hire someone to play in your living room.  Sad
vince42

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 08:16:45 PM »

I had been looking forward to March for some time but I've had 2 gigs (Fish and The Who) cancelled so far along with the British Banjo Mandolin and Guitar Festival in Edinburgh.

On the upside I did get to see Rews at King Tuts last Wednesday.

Quietly hoping that Hayseed Dixie happens on Thursday as I could use a bit of cheering up - it's in a 500 capacity venue so unless the advice changes on Tuesday...  Roll Eyes

Vince
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 11:19:25 AM »

The Costa Del Folk Festival in Ibiza has been cancelled.
Disappointed, but expected.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 01:42:26 PM »

Here's a thought:
It's annoying if a gig gets cancelled, but the chances are we'll get our money back. The artist probably fares less well from the cancellation, and we may see a lot of artists struggling if they can't get out and play.
So, how about, if a gig gets cancelled, and if you can afford it, could you use the refund money to buy something else from that artist instead?
Dig around their website to see if there's anything you don't already have, or if you've got everything, buy something as a gift for a friend. Have a look on Bandcamp in particular as this lets you set your own price for things so you can be a bit more generous. I have often used this to give a little extra to local artists - I'd buy them a pint if I met them in person, so why not tip them for a download?

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 02:02:06 PM »

Here's a thought:
It's annoying if a gig gets cancelled, but the chances are we'll get our money back. The artist probably fares less well from the cancellation, and we may see a lot of artists struggling if they can't get out and play.
So, how about, if a gig gets cancelled, and if you can afford it, could you use the refund money to buy something else from that artist instead?
Dig around their website to see if there's anything you don't already have, or if you've got everything, buy something as a gift for a friend. Have a look on Bandcamp in particular as this lets you set your own price for things so you can be a bit more generous. I have often used this to give a little extra to local artists - I'd buy them a pint if I met them in person, so why not tip them for a download?

Cheers

Nick

There is a heartbreaking post on Calan's FB page today about the effect that this will have on them.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 02:38:56 PM »

Cara Dillon has cancelled all her upcoming shows, and Kathryn Roberts and Sean Lakeman have postponed theirs.

I saw the Calan post - they had to abandon a US tour partway through - and they have posted a fundraiser to keep them going.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 04:25:59 PM »

Here's a thought:

Cheers

Nick

Was planning to go and see Calan in Maldon Essex in April but this now looks like it won’t happen. However I suppose Nick’s suggestion and will be looking to buy some more of their albums

Born to Run (but not very fast)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 06:07:13 PM »

I think the tin lid is now officially on.
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2020, 06:31:51 PM »

From the Levellers

Sorry to say that due to the COVID-19 situation our shows this weekend in Guildford, Norwich and Margate are being postponed until September. All tickets remain valid for the new dates:
Norwich moved to Sun 27th Sep 2020
Margate moved to Thu 3rd Sep 2020
Guildford moved to Mon 21st Sep 2020

Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2020, 08:17:02 PM »

Hayseed Dixie are no longer playing Colchester Arts Centre on 24 March but are looking to reschedule the gig for later in the year

Born to Run (but not very fast)
vince42

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2020, 09:03:16 PM »

Hayseed Dixie are no longer playing Colchester Arts Centre on 24 March but are looking to reschedule the gig for later in the year

Yup, just got the message that Glasgow is postponed too.

Now I'm wondering what will happen with the Moniaive Folk Festival on the early May Bank Holiday weekend - quite possible that the village residents won't want a mass influx of visitors.  I see a few of the local events are already off.

Vince
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Eardisley, Herefordshire

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 09:10:11 PM »

Ummm...am I missing something here?  ALL GIGS are cancelled.  Or more accurately everybody is being told not to go to them.  We're being advised to avoid gatherings, so nobody is going to any gigs or festivals anywhere until that medical advice changes.  We can speculate until the cows come home about when that might be, but it won't get us very far, will it?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: