TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 26, 2020, 07:03:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Genesis Tour  (Read 2011 times)
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« on: March 03, 2020, 02:10:09 PM »

Genesis Visible Touch at Witham Public Hall last night...for a tribute act, they were very good with Chris †OíConnell sounding very authentic on lead vocals (despite one or two flat top notes). The light show was also excellent, the like of which rarely seen at the venue. Well worth seeing as the chances of the real Genesis reforming for a concert tour look pretty remote to me

Looks very likely if all the speculation is to be believed. Supposedly the announcement of an 18 date UK/Ireland arena tour is imminent, possibly as early as tomorrow. Not for me though, saw them plenty of times in the 70s, not at all interested in the later 3-man era.

Edit: This topic began as a discussion in the Recent Gigs thread. It has been split off since the rumours of a tour appear to be true
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Bedding down in Bridport for a few months

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 02:24:15 PM »

Genesis Visible Touch at Witham Public Hall last night...for a tribute act, they were very good with Chris †OíConnell sounding very authentic on lead vocals (despite one or two flat top notes). The light show was also excellent, the like of which rarely seen at the venue. Well worth seeing as the chances of the real Genesis reforming for a concert tour look pretty remote to me

Looks very likely if all the speculation is to be believed. Supposedly the announcement of an 18 date UK/Ireland arena tour is imminent, possibly as early as tomorrow. Not for me though, saw them plenty of times in the 70s, not at all interested in the later 3-man era.

What's Phil going to do...he can't play drums?  I mean, he can barely work, can he?

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 05:21:18 PM »

What's Phil going to do...he can't play drums? †I mean, he can barely work, can he?

Philís incapacitated state was one of the reasons why I thought a reunion tour would be unlikely...hope Iím wrong. Mind you it would be even better if Mr Gabriel joined I as well but I think thatís even more unlikely!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 07:06:57 PM »

What's Phil going to do...he can't play drums? †I mean, he can barely work, can he?

Philís incapacitated state was one of the reasons why I thought a reunion tour would be unlikely...hope Iím wrong. Mind you it would be even better if Mr Gabriel joined I as well but I think thatís even more unlikely!

I thought that was what was being talked about...a full Lamb lies down tour...no?  ps I meant 'walk' above btw...he seems to be able to work very well even when being pushed onstage in a wheelchair.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Col D

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 07:35:59 PM »

Sit on a chair and sing apparently. His son Nic will play drums and I assume Daryl Stuermer will take care of guitar and bass. This has been rumoured for a while but has been picking up momentum in the last few days, there are even details of the dates and locations (but not venues). It's been a very well orchestrated scam if there is nothing in it. Announcement tomorrow if it's to be believed.

Rumoured dates are

16 and 17 Nov Dublin
19 and 20 Nov Belfast
23 and 24 Nov Liverpool
26 and 27 Nov Leeds
30 Nov and 1 Dec London
2 and 3 Dec Manchester
5 and 6 Dec Birmingham
7 and 8 Dec Glasgow
11 and 12 Dec Newcastle
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 09:29:29 PM »

Well the rumours of a new Genesis tour may well be correct...itís being reported in The Sun (so must be true  Grin ) and the band will be on Zoe Ballís Radio 2 breakfast show tomorrow morning to announce it! Thatís the rumour folks although I expect ticket prices to be astronomical  Embarrassed

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 09:31:08 PM »

Just to clarify is this the decent band or the leftovers, I'm confused?

[Update] To answer my own question: https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/03/genesis-reuniting-comeback-tour-2020-12344033/

How disappointing.

Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 09:39:47 PM »

Just to clarify is this the decent band or the leftovers, I'm confused?

[Update] To answer my own question: https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/03/genesis-reuniting-comeback-tour-2020-12344033/

How disappointing.

Same as the line-up 13 years ago (together with Daryl Stuermer although seems like Nic Collins instead of Chester Thompson?). Saw them at Twickenham then and they were superb so Iím not that disappointed if itís true

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 10:06:23 PM »

I saw them at Manchester that last time.
The rumour had been going round then about Gabriel and Hackett joining the three for a Lamb tour, and when I saw online that tickets were on sale, I went into omigodomigod mode and managed to snag two tickets. The publicised 'selling out in eight minutes' thing was cobblers...I bought them hours later.
It was only after I bought them that I found out that Gabriel and Hackett weren't involved.....Gabriel couldn't commit and the three wouldn't do it with just Steve. So I found myself having to suffer 'Invisible Bloody Touch' in a concert environment.  Embarrassed
It was this that inspired Steve to do the Genesis Revisited stuff, apparently so all is good, in the end.

Well I never did..
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 10:09:38 PM »

I will buy a ticket to see Genesis in the U.S. in 2021, if it comes to pass.

They are a bucket list band for me. For some reason, I passed on all opportunities in the 1980s and 1990s. During the most recent reunion, they booked shows largely on the U.S. coasts. I miscalculated that they would add dates closer to the heart of Texas. They wound up performing only the originally announced shows and ended the tour accordingly. (I don't know why - ticket sales, Phil's health, some other reason...)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 10:18:53 PM »

Hmmmm. Iíve seen Mr Hackett 7 times in the last 5 years and Iíll be seeing him twice more this year (obsessed? Moi?  Cheesy) and Nadís interpretation of Genesis songs is so damn good...and I saw Genesis at Knobworth in 1992, and Iíve seen Gabriel 3 times... and Phil Collins in his own, a week after my Dad died.... ď... And there's nothing left here to remind me, Just the memory of your face...Ē  Cry

But itís Genesis. I can go to the loo/bar when the last 20 mins of Invisible Touch is on.

I have to go  Shocked

Confusion will be my epitaph
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 08:19:14 AM »

If Gabriel and Hackett were involved, I'd be there like a shot, but if not, I'm not really interested I'm afraid.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 08:48:00 AM »

Confirmed... Collins, Collins, Banks, Rutherford and Stuermer...on radio 2 now! Well the main 3 are!

Col D

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 10:06:18 AM »

I thought that was what was being talked about...a full Lamb lies down tour...no? †ps I meant 'walk' above btw...he seems to be able to work very well even when being pushed onstage in a wheelchair.

The idea of a Lamb Lies Down tour was discussed about 15 years ago, but Gabriel declined. He only felt able to commit to a handful of shows, the others wanted a big European and US tour. Apparently Hackett's involvement was conditional on Gabriel being onboard, so they went ahead without either. That, as far as I'm aware, was the last time a five-man reunion was on the cards.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 10:54:03 AM »

With the exception of their fairly decent first album, the 3-piece Genesis are right near the top of my most overrated bands of all time list....

Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 10:57:47 AM »

With the exception of their fairly decent first album, the 3-piece Genesis are right near the top of my most overrated bands of all time list....

Each to their own but I think theyíre great and Iím already confirmed to go (donít ask but tickets already secured  Grin )

Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2020, 12:21:46 PM »

I was on the fence, maybe still am, saw Selling England, The Lamb and trick of the tail tours back in the day.  That's 'my' Genesis.  Phil has said "The songs that most people know are from after he'd left the band" referring to why Gabriel isn't involved.  Ticket prices in Liverpool £68-£176. Can't see much joy being at the back of the Arena for £68.  All that money potentially for 80's pop songs. I'll have seen Steve Hackett 3 times this year by then , including the week before.

But it's Genesis and tickets go on sale tomorrow.....what am I going to do ??

and the stars look very different today
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2020, 01:03:45 PM »

No Gabriel . No Hackett. Doing only the Pop songs that eventually killed them off as a serious band..

No its not Genesis, but a tribute act.

£68 to hear Jesus he loves me , I cant Dance , etc .Not for me.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2020, 01:15:58 PM »

I was on the fence, maybe still am, saw Selling England, The Lamb and trick of the tail tours back in the day. †That's 'my' Genesis. †Phil has said "The songs that most people know are from after he'd left the band" referring to why Gabriel isn't involved. †Ticket prices in Liverpool £68-£176. Can't see much joy being at the back of the Arena for £68. †All that money potentially for 80's pop songs. I'll have seen Steve Hackett 3 times this year by then , including the week before.

I feel your pain Sad

I've already got a lot lined up for this year (and no guarantee at the moment that all events will go ahead...) so I might give it a miss and hope it appears on Sky Arts or BBC 4 some time.....  Undecided

Confusion will be my epitaph
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2020, 01:45:52 PM »

I was on the fence, maybe still am, saw Selling England, The Lamb and trick of the tail tours back in the day. †That's 'my' Genesis. †Phil has said "The songs that most people know are from after he'd left the band" referring to why Gabriel isn't involved. †Ticket prices in Liverpool £68-£176. Can't see much joy being at the back of the Arena for £68. †All that money potentially for 80's pop songs. I'll have seen Steve Hackett 3 times this year by then , including the week before.

I feel your pain Sad

I've already got a lot lined up for this year (and no guarantee at the moment that all events will go ahead...) so I might give it a miss and hope it appears on Sky Arts or BBC 4 some time..... †Undecided

Thank you Bridget a trouble shared and all that - I think I've come to my senses.

I've bought Skerryvore, Merry Hell and Fairport instead - and I've enough change for a couple of pints

and the stars look very different today
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: