TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 22, 2020, 01:59:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Record Store Day 2020  (Read 3492 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2020, 09:21:52 AM »

I don't have any participating stores near me and find the RSD concept, or at least the way it has evolved, a bit irritating generally. However, I waited the day out this year and, as suspected, the crowds did not turn out in person to hoover everything up so I picked up copies of The Who's Odds & Sods deluxe and the Ian Prowse People Not The Crown EP online at 6pm at the RRP, without the usual post RSD online mark up.

Its good that you got something anyway, Al. I think a lot of people have reservations about RSD, especially when one looks at some of the releases or experiences poor quality after purchasing an interesting looking item.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2020, 05:35:11 PM »

Okay anyone get anything? Cool

No, sadly not...although I do have a copy of the new Datblygu album (whoop whoop) awaiting me in Hay.  You?  

Mellow Candle, Barry Dransfield, Throwing Muses and Bert Jansch. The last of these I had to try more than one shop for. So, a good day for me.    Theres nothing of great interest to me in the September  and October drops. In fact, the bulk of the releases ovrrall seem to have been in the first drop.

What is datblgyu??
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Eardisley, Herefordshire

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2020, 05:46:12 PM »

Okay anyone get anything? Cool

No, sadly not...although I do have a copy of the new Datblygu album (whoop whoop) awaiting me in Hay.  You?  

Mellow Candle, Barry Dransfield, Throwing Muses and Bert Jansch. The last of these I had to try more than one shop for. So, a good day for me.    Theres nothing of great interest to me in the September  and October drops. In fact, the bulk of the releases ovrrall seem to have been in the first drop.

What is datblgyu??

The best Welsh language band of the last 40 years (imho).  I might make a case for Brân if we go back another decade....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datblygu

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
SteveT

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2020, 04:18:13 PM »

On Saturday I managed to pick up copies of Shirley Collins & Davy Graham's 'Folk Roots, New Routes' , Mellow Candle 'Swaddling Songs' and Mansun 'The Dead Flowers Reject'.

I got them all based on reputation really, although I own other material by Shirley & Davy and was a big fan of Mansun back in the day.
On first listen, I've got to say I'm extremely pleased with myself as all are thoroughly enjoyable, although the Mansun is a bit patchy and is quite clearly 'B' Sides.

I have also managed to source a copy of Field Music's 'Measure' on the internet as the shop I attended did not have it.

It's one of my favourite albums of all time and I can't wait to hear it on vinyl.

PS - the shop owner on Saturday was most upset as he didn't expect to sell the SC/DG or Mellow Candle and he was planning to have them for himself  Smiley
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2020, 08:29:57 PM »

On Saturday I managed to pick up copies of Shirley Collins & Davy Graham's 'Folk Roots, New Routes' , Mellow Candle 'Swaddling Songs' and Mansun 'The Dead Flowers Reject'.

I got them all based on reputation really, although I own other material by Shirley & Davy and was a big fan of Mansun back in the day.
On first listen, I've got to say I'm extremely pleased with myself as all are thoroughly enjoyable, although the Mansun is a bit patchy and is quite clearly 'B' Sides.

I have also managed to source a copy of Field Music's 'Measure' on the internet as the shop I attended did not have it.

It's one of my favourite albums of all time and I can't wait to hear it on vinyl.

PS - the shop owner on Saturday was most upset as he didn't expect to sell the SC/DG or Mellow Candle and he was planning to have them for himself  Smiley

Sounds like you had  a good day.  I didnt get folk routes etc. Because while I love Shirley Collins I that collaboration doesn't quite work for me.  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: