TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:04:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Caravan to tour again  (Read 9618 times)
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« on: March 01, 2020, 06:38:31 PM »

Welcome news that they will be wheeling round their "Who do we think we are" tour in the autumn. Plenty of venues around the UK and I think I'll aim to be getting to one, not having seen them for about 20 years.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 06:55:40 PM »

Here are the dates.  Small venues on the whole... https://www.songkick.com/artists/504256-caravan/calendar

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 08:59:06 PM »

Oh, sweet lordy...would you take a gander at this?  https://burningshed.com/caravan_who-do-you-think-we-are_boxset?fbclid=IwAR27ZrA5HdQ10hVuNhclpw_UYb93VwL1rxejbW3y-nkfJHP45wyMF4VbimE

ps I've just done the maths.  £687500.  Cripes.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 09:27:27 PM by davidmjs » Logged

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 10:25:13 PM »

Playing up the road from me. Excellent! Never seen them live so this should be a treat.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 07:44:34 AM »

Shame they're not nipping over the Prince of Wales Bridge for a gig. Acapela Studios would be perfect for them!

Oh, sweet lordy...would you take a gander at this?  https://burningshed.com/caravan_who-do-you-think-we-are_boxset?fbclid=IwAR27ZrA5HdQ10hVuNhclpw_UYb93VwL1rxejbW3y-nkfJHP45wyMF4VbimE

David what does that figure represent?

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 08:16:35 AM »

Shame they're not nipping over the Prince of Wales Bridge for a gig. Acapela Studios would be perfect for them!

The value of 2500 boxsets at £275 a pop.  Rock n roll is big business....

Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 09:55:37 AM »

Much as I like the band - especially live - fingers crossed for Bury St Edmunds  in the autumn - I couldn't honestly argue that their best material stretches very far - for me if I only had Gray & Pink, Girls Who Grow Plump plus a decent live album I'd be content with that. OK ... I do possess one or two others Smiley
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 10:01:45 AM »

Much as I like the band - especially live - fingers crossed for Bury St Edmunds  in the autumn - I couldn't honestly argue that their best material stretches very far - for me if I only had Gray & Pink, Girls Who Grow Plump plus a decent live album I'd be content with that. OK ... I do possess one or two others Smiley

I think the first six (arguably seven although Blind Dog is a little more variable) studio albums are corkers.  I was lucky enough to see the original classic 4-piece (plus Jimmy H) 3 times around their 1990 reunion...so they do mean a lot to me.

I've gone for this.  I probably won't listen to it all, and I'll probably end up selling it, but I'll enjoy owning it while I do....

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 10:34:07 AM »

The value of 2500 boxsets at £275 a pop.  Rock n roll is big business....
Oh yeah  Roll Eyes nice pension Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Brian Green

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2021, 12:21:03 PM »

I went for the box set too.
The edition limited to 100 copies with a print signed by the book designer already listed as sold out on Burning Shed! So I thought better to move fast.
If the quality is the same as the Gentle Giant and Steve Hillage boxsets  From Madfish then we are in for a treat.
An unforseen expenditure just before Record Store Day however!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2021, 12:53:49 PM »

An unforseen expenditure just before Record Store Day however!

As I'm hopefully going to be travelling to the Hebrides when Drop 1 takes place I've decided to try and ignore the first RSD!  I'm still kicking myself for not getting the GG box...I do have the Hillage one though, which is fab.

Brian Green

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2021, 04:16:06 PM »

I wonder if the Caravan box set will remain limited to 2500 copies?
The GG set was initially 2000 but due to demand a further 1000 were released later.
I expect both bands have similar popularity so will be interesting to see.
Enjoy the Hebrides!
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2021, 08:00:06 PM »

Or, given the business proclivities of the average Seventies prog rocker, a pension?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2021, 08:13:36 PM »

Or, given the business proclivities of the average Seventies prog rocker, a pension?

Whilst I imagine the artist's share isn't totally insubstantial, I still imagine it's a bloody small part of the £675k.....If they had any sense at all what they should do is spend whatever they earn by buying their own box sets.  Then sit on them for a year or two and slowly release them one by one. Grin

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2021, 11:16:29 PM »

I've only ever stayed in a static caravan.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2021, 07:44:19 AM »

Haha!

I was tempted by the Hillage box, but as I already had all the studio albums and a few live albums, I couldn't justify the expenditure to myself...

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2021, 10:10:31 AM »

Just had a shipping notice from Burning Shed for the mahoosive box set.  Damn...that means I need to fess up to SWMBO then...  Grin

Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2021, 05:03:33 PM »

Two bits of news 1) They have a new album out in a few weeks time - "Mind your own business".  2) Bassist Jim Leverton has left the band. No news on a replacement. Bring back Richard, say I  !
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2021, 06:02:40 PM »

Two bits of news 1) They have a new album out in a few weeks time - "Mind your own business".  2) Bassist Jim Leverton has left the band. No news on a replacement. Bring back Richard, say I  !

In the interest of accuracy:

1) It's actually called ‘It’s None Of Your Business’.  Out in Oct on the Madfish label.

2) Lee Pomeroy plays bass on it, but no news as yet on whether he's playing live with them.

Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2021, 07:34:06 PM »

yes, I could have done with a tad more accuracy there    Smiley  Lee Pomeroy does a good job in Rick Wakeman's band, so we shall see ...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: