TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
November 27, 2021, 04:56:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Covid-19/Coronavirus - Whence festivals?  (Read 17127 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 12:24:31 AM »

Thinking of you and yours Bridget.

Hope you will all, be ok xx
Thanks Jen. Fingers crossed it’ll all be ok xx

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Wandering Steve

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 07:59:22 AM »

I think this thread proves very clearly why the human race seems so determined to destroy itself and its home.  Knowledge is, it seems, no longer power.  We almost seem to delight in our ignorance...and truth no longer matters.  Stop the world, I'm getting off.

Just in case anyone is remotely interested...antibiotics do not cure flu (of any kind).  Ffs.

I can re-educate you here david
I’m insulin dependant with many side issues because of it,I have a rare strain and have NO immune system

Each year I get colds which turn within hours to secondary infections
In 2018 I had flu(despite the jab) i was rushed to hospital and placed on intravenous antibiotics to try to save me
The situation escalated and turned to pneumonia and I was very ill ,still wired up.
I was given intravenously two different antibiotics which made no difference and was using an oxygen mask to breathe
I was then given a third antibiotic which was very strong and apparently rarely used again intravenously and quickly recovered.
I was back out in just over a week

Antibiotics are deemed not to work on viruses and not given to healthier patients but seriously ill people are given them maybe as a last roll of the dice so to say and in some cases do work.
Lucky for me!!

I can’t remember the antibiotic that saved me but upon discharge I had to remain on them in tablet form for a fortnight taking four a day..

All I can remember is that they began with co- and were massive and bizarrely tasted of banana !!!

I assume the intravenous antibiotic was the same but may not have been.

So there in a nutshell is my personal experience of having antibiotics having had flu and a secondary infection.

I’ve currently been told to stay indoors and not leave the house!!

At least my banjo playing may improve!!

All the best
Steve.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2020, 08:04:03 AM »

I think this thread proves very clearly why the human race seems so determined to destroy itself and its home.  Knowledge is, it seems, no longer power.  We almost seem to delight in our ignorance...and truth no longer matters.  Stop the world, I'm getting off.

Just in case anyone is remotely interested...antibiotics do not cure flu (of any kind).  Ffs.

I can re-educate you here david

This is a sort of Pol Pot type re-education, is it?  Antiobiotics do not cure flu.  That is a fact.  Secondary infections resulting from flu are an entirely different thing....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Global Moderator

officially an old bat.

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2020, 08:27:53 AM »

As one who has quite a few lung problems at the moment, COPD, (for many years) lung cancer and now several pulmonary embolisms (just to add to the joy..) I can assure Wandering Steve that the antibiotics don't have any effect on flu which is a virus, but are effective in pneumonia which is a bacterial infection, and which people with chest problems are prone to get.
So it's no use asking for antibiotics if you simply have flu, but be aware that if you then get a chest infection then antibiotics are the way to go..  Smiley

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Wandering Steve

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2020, 08:41:13 AM »

As one who has quite a few lung problems at the moment, COPD, (for many years) lung cancer and now several pulmonary embolisms (just to add to the joy..) I can assure Wandering Steve that the antibiotics don't have any effect on flu which is a virus, but are effective in pneumonia which is a bacterial infection, and which people with chest problems are prone to get.
So it's no use asking for antibiotics if you simply have flu, but be aware that if you then get a chest infection then antibiotics are the way to go..  Smiley

Well I went into northampton general hospital with flu and was immediately put on intravenous antibiotics,now as you say Jude this may have been because they knew this would turn into a worse secondary infection(in this case pneumonia) but I was on them from the word go before I was taken to the X-ray department,stood up before a big board and given a chest X-ray.
Given I have zero immune system and the antibiotics clear up the pneumonia what exactly clears up the flu??
It can’t be my immune system!!

Seems as Coronavirus causes pneumonia which is what is basically killing people how comes they can’t treat the pneumonia with antibiotics in the same way they treat flu that has turned into a secondary infection??

I just guess(and it is a guess) that the pneumonia resulting from Coronavirus is much more severe than pneumonia caused by flu as a secondary infection...
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2020, 11:26:29 AM »

This is all making me very nervous.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Global Moderator

officially an old bat.

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2020, 11:44:33 AM »

Well I went into northampton general hospital with flu and was immediately put on intravenous antibiotics,now as you say Jude this may have been because they knew this would turn into a worse secondary infection(in this case pneumonia) but I was on them from the word go before I was taken to the X-ray department,stood up before a big board and given a chest X-ray.
Given I have zero immune system and the antibiotics clear up the pneumonia what exactly clears up the flu??
It can’t be my immune system!!

Seems as Coronavirus causes pneumonia which is what is basically killing people how comes they can’t treat the pneumonia with antibiotics in the same way they treat flu that has turned into a secondary infection??

I just guess(and it is a guess) that the pneumonia resulting from Coronavirus is much more severe than pneumonia caused by flu as a secondary infection...

The hospital probably realised that you were already suffering from a chest infection/pneumonia rater than just flu so put you on antibiotic IV to try to get on top of the problem.And it often takes several lots of antibiotics before the effective one is  narrowed down. I still say that they weren't treating flu in your case but were treating the underlying infection to which you were susceptible.

I don't think panicking people who are otherwise healthy is at all helpful. There are always fatalities each year with whichever strain of flu comes around. This particular strain should really not cause any more severe problems than is usual with flu. And I would have more reason to be worried than most, but I continue to be sensible, attend the hospitals which I need to go to and  will be worried when I am told to be worried by the people who are looking after me

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2020, 01:48:56 PM »

I don't think panicking people who are otherwise healthy is at all helpful. There are always fatalities each year with whichever strain of flu comes around. This particular strain should really not cause any more severe problems than is usual with flu. And I would have more reason to be worried than most, but I continue to be sensible, attend the hospitals which I need to go to and  will be worried when I am told to be worried by the people who are looking after me

Hear hear to all of that x

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Wandering Steve

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2020, 04:36:41 PM »

Hear hear to all of that x

Exactly right
I’ve been told to stay indoors and not mix with anyone!!
I was booked to go to Cheltenham festival next week but now can’t.
Let’s hope it’s all ok by August and I can leave the house Shocked Cheesy
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2020, 12:05:03 AM »

The above have a 7% chance of dying if they catch the disease.

As a fellow pulmonary embolism club member with Jude (no one else is allowed to join - not being elitist - the membership requirements ain't worth it), I have been contemplating such things - I've beaten worse odds twice in the last few years - and that stat equates to a 93% survival rate, which is pretty damn good in my book.

Live long and prosper all.  Smiley

Well I never did..
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2020, 12:08:25 AM »

The above have a 7% chance of dying if they catch the disease.

As a fellow pulmonary embolism club member with Jude (no one else is allowed to join - not being elitist - the membership requirements ain't worth it), I have been contemplating such things - I've beaten worse odds twice in the last few years - and that stat equates to a 93% survival rate, which is pretty damn good in my book.

Live long and prosper all.  Smiley

Indeed!

Love, prayers & best wishes to all who are worried/struggling with the new big C.
Wandering Steve

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2020, 11:25:22 AM »

With the news that Glastonbury has been cancelled the chances of fairport 2020 taking place 7 weeks later must be looking unlikely Sad
Imo unless a vaccine is found before then it may be better to cancel regardless as given the number of elderly who attend it would be a concern even in a best case scenario that infection cases drop to single figures a day that many elderly,vulnerable people wouldn’t turn up anyway.

Sorry to be glum but as someone in a vulnerable group I wouldn’t feel safe attending unless I’m guaranteed to be safe
Ie) a vaccine

You never know it may have cleared up completely by then but obviously the organisers of Glastonbury think it unlikely  Sad
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2020, 11:28:30 AM »

You never know it may have cleared up completely by then but obviously the organisers of Glastonbury think it unlikely  Sad

If one reads the statement carefully, it's the fact that such numbers of staff are on site in the 3 months leading up to the event (building the infrastructure) that has led to the cancellation.  That's a very different scenario from Cropredy.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2020, 01:13:26 PM »

Taking a logical look at what is going on, I see most public mass events of 2020 on a knife-edge.

First of all, the Government's plan to "flatten the curve", IE delay the onset of Corvid-19 for a lot of elderly and vulnerable people does NOT mean that they won't get the disease. What it means is that the rate of infection will be slowed and thus last longer, to allow the NHS to cope better than if everyone caught the disease at once. So, in undertaking three months self-isolation, I, for instance, am not going to avoid getting the disease, I'm just putting off the inevitable.

The probability that a working, tested vaccine will be available within six months is really pretty low. Most experts say that a vaccine will not be available within a year, let alone less than that.

Looking at the number of over-70-year-olds on the stage at any folk festival, I have to question the idea that it will be wise for them to be exposing themselves to infection, throughout 2020.

To take Cropredy as an example, a quick check reveals: Gerry Conway, 72, Dave Pegg, 72, Dave Mattacks, 72, Richard Thompson, 70, Iain Matthews, 73, all from the Fairport family.

As well as those folks, there’s also Trevor Horn, 70, Steve Hackett, 70, Richard Digance, 71 and Noel Duggan (Clannad), 71.

Then there’s the audiences. Cropredy’s audience is at least 25% over 70. That’s my estimate and I’m quite willing to be corrected on that.

Outside Cropredy, Van Morrison has been booked for several festivals, he’s 75.

So the musos and audience members mentioned above, if they self-isolate for twelve weeks from Friday, will emerge, blinking, into the light on 12 June, which, some experts are now saying, will be the time that peak levels of infection via the squashed curve are reached.

Cropredy is due to start 20 weeks from this Friday. Sounds a lot, doesn’t it, but in reality, gathering in crowds even at that point in the year may be very risky for the over-70s and immune-compromised people like me.  Corvid-19 isn’t going away any time this year and will gradually be caught by even those that self-isolate, once they come out.

So, like I said, all on a knife edge. Good luck to us all.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 01:27:04 PM by Andy » Logged

The revolution will not be televised
The revolution will be no re-run, brothers
The revolution will be live
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2020, 01:31:32 PM »

Gateway to Southwell now also cancelled.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....

http://www.fortytenthpromotions.co.uk/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2020, 01:41:10 PM »

If I was a betting man, I'd say all events everywhere off until the end of June.  July and onwards entirely dependent on what happens in the next month, maybe two.  Oh, go on, I'll put a quid on Cropredy going ahead....

Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2020, 01:53:59 PM »

Upton on Severn folk fest also off. I was going for the first time.
Wandering Steve

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2020, 03:09:36 PM »

If I was a betting man, I'd say all events everywhere off until the end of June.  July and onwards entirely dependent on what happens in the next month, maybe two.  Oh, go on, I'll put a quid on Cropredy going ahead....

Il have a pound with you it’s off
We can settle up at the bar in 2021  Roll Eyes

I can’t see anyway a large festival that has an older demographic is going to be safe by then unless everyone is vaccinated against it.

If there is no vaccination by July 1st then there’s no way it could go ahead in reality
Mind you there’s a few weeks until July 1st and I wouldn’t cancel it until then as August is still a few weeks away yet.

The one hope is that I beleive all this talk of a vaccine in a year to eighteen months is twaddle.
If a working vaccine is found in June the usual steps regards a year long testing will be skipped,it will be used in hospital on those who are gravely ill and if they recover it will be full steam ahead in July getting the old and vulnerable immunised.

They will rush it through to protect the economy.
That is the glimmer of hope...

To cheer everybody up both China and Israel think they have already found a vaccine.

Does anybody really think world leaders will wait 12/18 months to make and use it given the world economy.
Money talks

So maybe,just maybe we will be in that field come August.

I guess we will know more by July.....
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2020, 03:33:05 PM »

Il have a pound with you it’s off
We can settle up at the bar in 2021  Roll Eyes

I can’t see anyway a large festival that has an older demographic is going to be safe by then unless everyone is vaccinated against it.

There won't be a vaccine by July - not a chance.  I'm standing by my pound.  Game on..  Wink Grin

hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2020, 04:11:35 PM »

There will be 3 waves of this virus , each slightly less in severity.
All 70 plus come out of their homes in 3 months time and then catch it?
I am looking at November before things settle and it will be interesting to see how restrictions are extended.
We get to mid June and then we are asked to self isolate for another 3 months.
We ( WHALE) lost a gig last week that has been rescheduled for mid Sept and I am not convinced that will run.
OurFest gigs , including one in August are considering whether to cancel now.
I play for fun , beer and food, expenses and occasionally fees. I feel for pro musicians now, particularly those who live from hand to mouth.
Keep safe everybody.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: