TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:06:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A worrying hidden message?  (Read 24201 times)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2020, 10:18:15 AM »

Our heroes were on fine form in Farnham last night - can't see them stopping just yet !

Which album cover was it that suggested McCartney had died?

Wasn't it Abbey Road? Macca was dead because he wasn't wearing shoes, Lennon was the preacher, Ringo the undertaker and Harrison the gravedigger.

What a cheerful way of looking at an album cover.  Grin

And he's still with us today.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2020, 02:56:11 PM »

Our heroes were on fine form in Farnham last night - can't see them stopping just yet !

Which album cover was it that suggested McCartney had died?

Wasn't it Abbey Road? Macca was dead because he wasn't wearing shoes, Lennon was the preacher, Ringo the undertaker and Harrison the gravedigger.

What a cheerful way of looking at an album cover.  Grin

And he's still with us today.

The doppelganger, you mean.  Smiley
markwood

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2020, 03:07:51 PM »

The story I read years ago said that if you look at the numberplate on the VW Beetle on the left of the picture, the registration ends with "281F", translated as Paul would have been 28 IF he'd still been alive. OK that doesn't quite tie in with him being born in 1942 and the album cover being from 1969 but a good try...
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2020, 04:42:01 PM »

I suspect that if Fairport were going to throw in the towel they would just ... well ... say so. What purpose would be served by secret messages?

Godzee: One's imagination can of course run riot on the most tenuous 'evidence' if you let it. Think Manson and the White Album.

(By the way, are you by any chance Ike Godzee?)
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2020, 09:31:12 PM »

I suspect that if Fairport were going to throw in the towel they would just ... well ... say so. What purpose would be served by secret messages?

Godzee: One's imagination can of course run riot on the most tenuous 'evidence' if you let it. Think Manson and the White Album.

(By the way, are you by any chance Ike Godzee?)
you are right because secret messages is an excellent album by the Electric Light Orchestra

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2020, 01:03:43 AM »

Both Sgt Pepper's and Abbey Road are cited by the "Paul is dead" lot - Abbey Road for the reasons stated (and also because McCartney is out of step with the others), Sgt Pepper's for the floral arrangement of a guitar that some insist actually spells out "PAUL?"
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2020, 11:31:47 AM »

Both Sgt Pepper's and Abbey Road are cited by the "Paul is dead" lot - Abbey Road for the reasons stated (and also because McCartney is out of step with the others), Sgt Pepper's for the floral arrangement of a guitar that some insist actually spells out "PAUL?"

And also because Paul has his back to the camera on the group picture on the back cover so his face cannot be seen.
arie

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2020, 12:54:47 PM »

Is it telling something that a new Fairport Convention album generates re-hashing 50 years old **** about the Beatles?
Just asking.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2020, 05:45:25 PM »

Is it telling something that a new Fairport Convention album generates re-hashing 50 years old **** about the Beatles?
Just asking.

No, not really.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2020, 09:39:07 PM »

Just asking.

While we’re on the subject, however, it is well known that the imposter is often identified as William Campbell or “Billy Shears” (hence the use of that name on the Sgt Pepper album). There is an interview with Paul McCartney at event, during which Olivia and Dhani Harrison show up and the former greets him by saying “Hello Billy.”

Coincidence? I think not.

#wakeupsheeple

Imponderable Joy
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2020, 10:38:44 PM »

Just asking.

I, for one, am finding the discussion pretty interesting and learning a lot from it.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2020, 09:16:59 AM »

Liege and Lief backwards is Feildnaegeil .......which in the ancient Elvin language Tropriaf means.....
‘ trying to read something backwards in song lyrics is, of course ,bollox.’ 😱😱😉
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2020, 04:05:15 PM »

xollob! Wink

Flobbadob!
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2020, 12:36:07 PM »

When I played my Black Sabbath albums backwards it had a terrible effect....my mum used to yell upstairs and tell me to "turn that XXXXX racket down"

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2020, 12:45:02 PM »

When I played my Black Sabbath albums backwards it had a terrible effect....my mum used to yell upstairs and tell me to "turn that XXXXX racket down"

That still used to happen when I played them as intended....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2020, 04:14:23 PM »

That must have been a bit disconcerting, having Mick's mum shouting upstairs at you!
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2020, 05:48:32 PM »

That must have been a bit disconcerting, having Mick's mum shouting upstairs at you!

Grin
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2020, 03:42:42 AM »

Who would have thought that Tim Rice would be the kind to dabble in worrying strange backward messages on vinyl....

http://www.45cat.com/record/2090121

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2020, 10:11:57 AM »

Back on topic, I now have a copy of Shuffle and Go which looks to me like a scene from a pub in the 1950s with the teddy boy on the right taking a break from playing some songs on his guitar while a group of Morris dancers prop up the bar. Quite what the significance of the pram is I don't know. All quite nostalgic really.

As for the music, it's another pleasant collection of songs and tunes from the chaps with none particularly jumping out at me on first listen apart from possibly A Thousand Bars though it's one of those songs that could get a bit annoying on repeated listens.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2020, 10:43:10 AM »

Back on topic, I now have a copy of Shuffle and Go which looks to me like a scene from a pub in the 1950s with the teddy boy on the right taking a break from playing some songs on his guitar while a group of Morris dancers prop up the bar. Quite what the significance of the pram is I don't know. All quite nostalgic really.

It's absolutely a scene from a Cotswold/Oxfordshire pub circa late 1950s. The Aunt Sally shy and Cotswold Morris paraphernalia give the place, while the guitar, teddy boy and pram give the date. (I used to be pushed around in a pram identical to that - inherited from my elder brothers.) My view is that it marks the point at which traditional English rural folk style made way for rock and roll.

You should give Aunt Sally a go sometime. It's quite liberating being able to hurl big sticks around.

Cheers

Nick

* Aunt Sally.jpg (40.74 KB, 371x371 - viewed 632 times.)

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: