TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:47:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shuffle and Go  (Read 56395 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2020, 02:03:39 PM »

Purchased via Itunes (until I get a physical copy) and happily listened to this morning on the subway. I won't do a track by track take, but using Al's excellent point earlier in this thread about them being their own band right now-not the Nine lineup, not the late 70's 4 piece, but a band that does what they want to do, I find it very strong in places, and enjoyable throughout. Favorites so far are the title track, Don't Reveal My Name, Cider Rain, Moses Waits, and The Byfield Steeplechase. Also top marks for the first Fairport reference to my ancestral home (if you will) of Donegal. I think the thing that stands out for me so far has been the actual music. Lots of interesting phrases, the return of Peggy's slap bass style on Steampunkery, and some interesting percussion throughout. If I go further, to me there is a confident sound to this album of all cylinders firing and a cohesion of ideas. Can't wait to get home and listen to it sans headphones later.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2020, 04:28:03 PM »

Just had a listen on Spotify so the chaps now have my 0.003p or whatever it is.  Maybe I'm officially allowed to say it's not for me now?

My favourite track was Cider Rain which sounded a little like late period XTC filler.  That's a compliment.  I also 'quite like' The Byfield Steeplechase.

In the most part, I just can't get beyond thinking it is all 'twee' as hell, I'm afraid, and that one of my favourite bands on the planet has fallen to this just depresses me.  Sorry.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2020, 04:49:58 PM »

Just had a listen on Spotify so the chaps now have my 0.003p or whatever it is.  Maybe I'm officially allowed to say it's not for me now?

My favourite track was Cider Rain which sounded a little like late period XTC filler.  That's a compliment.  I also 'quite like' The Byfield Steeplechase.

In the most part, I just can't get beyond thinking it is all 'twee' as hell, I'm afraid, and that one of my favourite bands on the planet has fallen to this just depresses me.  Sorry.

I think I would disagree that it is "all" twee. There are two or three twee tracks and this line up definitely have a weakness/inexplicable fondness for this sort of thing but I don't think most of the other tracks can be accused of tweeness irrespective of their other relative merits.

Your final comment precisely reflects what I was alluding to in my review. It is a question of mindset, of which yours is particularly and entirely understandably strong David. But the fact is that this is not one of your favourite bands. This is an entirely different band (featuring one or maybe two of the same personel as the band you loved but crucially not the key ones) using the same name.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2020, 04:59:03 PM »

I think I would disagree that it is "all" twee. There are two or three twee tracks and this line up definitely have a weakness/inexplicable fondness for this sort of thing but I don't think most of the other tracks can be accused of tweeness irrespective of their other relative merits.

Your final comment precisely reflects what I was alluding to in my review. It is a question of mindset, of which yours is particularly and entirely understandably strong David. But the fact is that this is not one of your favourite bands. This is an entirely different band (featuring one or maybe two of the same personel as the band you loved but crucially not the key ones) using the same name.

Aye.  

The totally baffling thing to me is that whilst changing (so hugely) the band seemingly doesn't accept the above.  Or does it?  I mean I really don't think there is a single note of what I would describe as "folk-rock" on this new album...  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2020, 05:04:48 PM »

Tried to listen on Spotify, and simply got bored. Yes, it's twee as hell and MOR to the max, but that's just how FC is these days and that's not likely to change now.

I have to say, I actually started laughing at A Thousand Bars due to the sheer saccharine of the lyrics Smiley Couldn't help noticing that it mentions "The Pig and Poke" and the very next song's lyrics contain "pig in a poke", too.

I can't even bother using the tired old "musicianship" cliché in order to say something positive - pretty much *any* working band that's maintained a professional career even a quarter as long as FC will be able to boast excellent musicianship. It's a given.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2020, 05:09:22 PM »

I think we're of the same mind David. I was pleasantly surprised by Don't Reveal My Name and Cider Rain, two tracks in and I was almost thinking this may be my first Fairport album since Over the Next Hill, which was the one that finally broke my long-standing habit of buying every new release out of blind loyalty, just because it was Fairport. It took A Thousand Bars and the title track to bring me to my senses, I think I'll go and spend my well-earned on something with a little more fire in the belly.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2020, 05:13:06 PM »

I think we're of the same mind David. I was pleasantly surprised by Don't Reveal My Name and Cider Rain, two tracks in and I was almost thinking this may be my first Fairport album since Over the Last Hill, which was the one that finally broke my long-standing habit of buying every new release out of blind loyalty, just because it was Fairport. It took A Thousand Bars and the title track to bring me to my senses, I think I'll go and spend my well-earned on something with a little more fire in the belly.

I can imagine someone with a 'broken'/'lived in' singing voice singing DRMN and it really working.  Leslie's voice is just too that t-word for it... The song is a decent one though.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2020, 05:16:08 PM »

I really don't think there is a single note of what I would describe as "folk-rock" on this new album...  

That's an interesting point. I guess Steampunkery perhaps qualifies but you may be right about the songs. I shall have to listen again and consider further. There is a CL song that was introduced live as having the same feel as John Gaudie (which is imho one of their finest and most authentic latter day works albeit it is now 23 years old) but it does not have an ounce of the firepower of that song.

I can imagine someone with a 'broken'/'lived in' singing voice singing DRMN and it really working.  Leslie's voice is just too that t-word for it... The song is a decent one though.

I don't think Chris's voice is the t-word. That's a bit harsh. But it is sometimes too light or pure to deliver songs with the muscularity or authority they require so everything feels a little smoothed out.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 05:28:29 PM by GubGub (Al) » Logged
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2020, 06:53:36 PM »

Agree 100%. Don't Reveal My Name and Moses Waits are both outstanding played live and, surprisingly, fit well into a set-list which is Full House heavy.

4 tracks on the recording I've heard (Southport.  I note Canterbury is circulating now too) - Walk Awhile, Spens (both of which get played all the time), Physick, Sloth.  I could have sworn that when it was announced they said they were playing the whole album?

I rather liked the Southport recording myself  Wink although I agree that Canterbury is much better - Winchester has now surfaced too.

The canterbury recording is far better than the Southport one and is actually listenable.
As to the content, i like some of it and some of you will like most of it i suppose.  It still doesnt make me want to go and see them again.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2020, 02:50:53 PM »

I really don't think there is a single note of what I would describe as "folk-rock" on this new album...  

That's an interesting point. I guess Steampunkery perhaps qualifies but you may be right about the songs. I shall have to listen again and consider further. There is a CL song that was introduced live as having the same feel as John Gaudie (which is imho one of their finest and most authentic latter day works albeit it is now 23 years old) but it does not have an ounce of the firepower of that song.

I don't think Chris's voice is the t-word. That's a bit harsh. But it is sometimes too light or pure to deliver songs with the muscularity or authority they require so everything feels a little smoothed out.

After repeated listens on the weekend I think it does qualify. I'm guessing Good Time For A Fiddle & Bow is the song you allude to Al. I agree with you in comparison with John Gaudie, but it is a song built around a solid fiddle tune and regardless of that comparison is unquestionably folk rock. I do think your assessment of Chris's voice is spot on. Though Simon has sung some of Chris's compositions before, he seems to lean more towards covers that fit his vocals. So Fairport is left without that type of voice that might attack the songs with a bit more muscle. That being said, the balance of vocal duties is balanced more on this album than previous efforts, and I think that lessens the overabundance of his material. One thing I will add after hearing on the stereo is how beautiful the 'chime like' intro to Moses Waits is. Definitely better than I heard through my headphones.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2020, 10:48:04 AM »

My two pennoth
   Having now head it all the way through I can say that I think it’s a better album than anything they have released in many years.   I’m glad they have ditched the formula and gone for all new material.
    That said, it is very one paced with nothing to frighten the horses and most of the tunes sound similar to old ones.  I don’t think it will benefit from repeated plays.
     The musicianship is fine, nothing stunning which when you have the likes of Saunders and Pegg is a bit disappointing
     I’m glad I didn’t buy it but got it from Amazon music.

The Dude abides
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2020, 11:56:27 AM »

With respect Jim, from you that’s high praise indeed!  Smiley Fez

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2020, 12:47:15 PM »

My two pennoth
   Having now head it all the way through I can say that I think it’s a better album than anything they have released in many years.   I’m glad they have ditched the formula and gone for all new material.
    That said, it is very one paced with nothing to frighten the horses and most of the tunes sound similar to old ones.  I don’t think it will benefit from repeated plays.
     The musicianship is fine, nothing stunning which when you have the likes of Saunders and Pegg is a bit disappointing
     I’m glad I didn’t buy it but got it from Amazon music.

Saunders???

Who he??

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2020, 01:03:39 PM »

Saunders???

Who he??

Made me think of Winnie the Pooh but that was Mr Sanders he had over his front door. I'll leave you to make your own comparisons of band members with characters from the AA Milne books.  Smiley

The title track is sticking in my head just now though for some reason I'm getting the words Cotton-Eyed Joe instead of Shuffle and Go. I think that's from a Michelle Shocked song.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 01:14:30 PM by ColinB » Logged

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2020, 03:53:25 PM »

I was typing on my phone rather than the tablet and misspelt a few things largely due to a combination of fat fingers, poor eyesight and downright sloppiness.

The album isnt going to win any new fans but maybe thats just how they want it.
My sister and the youngest brother are going to see the chaps in Carlisle in a month or two.  She has never seen them, he went with me to see them at Reghed, near Penrith a few years ago, he wasnt overly impressed but that could have been down to the unsuitabilty of the building as a  live music venue.  It'll be interesting to see what they think.

The Dude abides
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2020, 09:47:09 PM »

Hi Jim.....I come on here rarely now but saw your post.....
You sum up the new album well......
There is so much good , vibrant ‘ folk inspired’ music out there now that gets little exposure.
Have a listen to Jon Palmer Acoustic Band. Yes you can hear the influences , including Fairport but Jon writes with passion and the band, including Wendy Ross from Magna Carta and Edwina Hayes on backing vocals , have real energy.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2020, 09:57:00 AM »

Howdo Dave lad,
  On further reflection FC suffer from the way they put albums together, separately recording their various bits doesnt lend itself to any semblance of spontaneity or even a happy accident which might give a bit of life to the music if they got together in the studio to knock the material into shape.  It almost sounds like one long piece.  I dont know if they think their core audience are becoming more MOR as we age and they dont want to frighten us with something exciting.  Its horlicks for the ears, it isnt folk rock by anyones standards, but it hasnt been for a long, long, time.  And thats why im out.

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2020, 10:19:15 AM »

Howdo Dave lad,
  On further reflection FC suffer from the way they put albums together, separately recording their various bits doesnt lend itself to any semblance of spontaneity or even a happy accident which might give a bit of life to the music if they got together in the studio to knock the material into shape.  It almost sounds like one long piece.  I dont know if they think their core audience are becoming more MOR as we age and they dont want to frighten us with something exciting.  Its horlicks for the ears, it isnt folk rock by anyones standards, but it hasnt been for a long, long, time.  And thats why im out.

I think the last two albums were recorded communally at Woodworm. Only Ric's bits seem to have been done separately. Certainly the sleevenotes for S&G say as much, even confirming that Gerry was unavailable for the last session so a rhythm track was created from his previously recorded performances for one track, the point being that they had to do it that way for one song but they were all present for the rest of it.

After listening again this morning, my favourite track has unexpectedly emerged to be The Byfield Steeplechase, possibly because it is the one that sounds most like Fairport Convention.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2020, 10:51:21 AM »

I think the last two albums were recorded communally at Woodworm. Only Ric's bits seem to have been done separately. Certainly the sleevenotes for S&G say as much, even confirming that Gerry was unavailable for the last session so a rhythm track was created from his previously recorded performances for one track, the point being that they had to do it that way for one song but they were all present for the rest of it.

I find it rather sad that five chaps can't get their diaries coordinated well in advance for a whole album. It is not as if half of them lived all over the USA.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2020, 11:35:07 AM »

I find it rather sad that five chaps can't get their diaries coordinated well in advance for a whole album. It is not as if half of them lived all over the USA.

He could've had a cold or something?

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: