TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:20:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Thompson - The Cold Blue  (Read 7798 times)
Hans Valk
Most of you can't read Dutch, I suppose

Loc: Dordrecht, The Netherlands

« on: January 10, 2020, 11:24:22 AM »

Did any of you notice this already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMX8vUKrlEY&list=OLAK5uy_lxqDCdS3w5jKp8mNImkL2phDPxhyWRg60

RT in a new guise as a maker of soundtracks to accompany a filmseries. Although his music was used before on Grizzly Man by Werner Herzog, I don't recall if this was made specially for the film. The music for The Cold Blue was. And what a difference with RT's music we knew before. And to a filmseries with a subject which I would not associate with RT right away..
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 11:28:07 AM »

yep - on his website last year & in his newsletter....

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 03:09:12 PM »

Although his music was used before on Grizzly Man by Werner Herzog, I don't recall if this was made specially for the film.

I'm sure it was, wasn't it?  And bloody marvellous it is too.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 08:29:50 PM »

Although his music was used before on Grizzly Man by Werner Herzog, I don't recall if this was made specially for the film.

I'm sure it was, wasn't it?  And bloody marvellous it is too.

Yes, Grizzly Man was definitely written specifically for the film. RT does have some form as a soundtrack writer, most notably the Australian movie Sweet Talker and a BBC drama series in the 80s called The Marksman both of which soundtracks were released on album.
Hans Valk

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 01:06:33 PM »

Seems I've missed a few things over the years! He already started making soundtracks in the eighties. The man has a broader field of work than I knew.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 01:31:15 PM »

Seems I've missed a few things over the years! He already started making soundtracks in the eighties. The man has a broader field of work than I knew.

Do you know the French Frith Kaiser Thompson albums?  Just brilliant....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
samnitzberg (Sam)
no little winking doodad

Loc: Sparks, Maryland, USA

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 06:30:52 PM »

Yes, Grizzly Man was definitely written specifically for the film. RT does have some form as a soundtrack writer, most notably the Australian movie Sweet Talker and a BBC drama series in the 80s called The Marksman both of which soundtracks were released on album.

Though some of what he used in Grizzly Man was a re-use of part of Strict Tempo.
Hans Valk

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 10:53:42 AM »

Do you know the French Frith Kaiser Thompson albums?  Just brilliant....

I've seen a video of him and Henry Kaiser on YouTube and I've heard of the trio you mention, but no music from them. I'll give YouTube another go.
Hans Valk

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 11:03:42 AM »

Though some of what he used in Grizzly Man was a re-use of part of Strict Tempo.

Indeed. I seem to remember that one of the pieces by Scott Skinner (Glencoe) that was on Strict Tempo was also featured in Grizzly Man. But the rest of the soundtrack was original, I think.
arie

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 12:02:00 AM »

If you listen to "The Knife-Edge", the only track on "Strict Tempo" that RT wrote, and then listen to the "Main Theme" from "Grizzly Man" you will hear that the latter isn't as improvised and inspired by watching the movie as sometimes suggested......
(Find them both on youtube)
arie

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 12:28:50 AM »

First experience with soundtrack work by RT must have been the re-recording of "Georgie on a Spree", used as a theme-song for the BBC mini-series "Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry" and released as a double A-side single in October 1979 with "Civilisation" being the other "A".      

* Georgie single compr.jpg (97.14 KB, 769x768 - viewed 673 times.)

* Civil compr.jpg (89.73 KB, 769x768 - viewed 714 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: